Does Hurley tend to have them start to kill the clock too early? | The Boneyard

Does Hurley tend to have them start to kill the clock too early?

Reaction Score
Great win tonight, everyone contributed. Like how Bouk didn’t force anything on the offensive end. Sanogo was tremendous. I’m starting to warm up to the hard hedge on defense. Cole served up another yummy serving of crow.

...but I’ve noticed this the last few games. When the team is up ten points and close to the five minute mark, it looks like Hurly prompts the team to kill the clock. We’re playing well, good flow, I say keep the foot on the gas peddle and keep converting. When he starts to kill the clock, it seems to make the team stumble around and gives the opposing team more of a chance to comeback.

Reaction Score
Not being too critical. Looking at how the team can improve will only make them stronger. Just because UConn won doesn’t mean that should sit back and relax.

Reaction Score
Not being too critical. Looking at how the team can improve will only make them stronger. Just because UConn won doesn’t mean that should sit back and relax.
Puzzled stare

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
This is hard to balance. A team can't go into full "kill the clock" mode because that is easy to defend, but it also doesn't want to take quick shots. The teams that are most effective at burning down the clock with a lead have long set plays they can run, so they are still forcing the defense to work but are not taking quick shots.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I thought we did a spectacular job against Marquette. They pressed and when we broke it we took the easy quick baskets and scored on them. I think we always need to do that. Milking clock is great, but not if you don't get any real chance to score out of it. I'd never give up an automatic two points to milk clock. Last night we did a so-so job. Got lucky that we scored on a couple of difficult shots late. I'd rather take a good shot with 9 seconds left than a bad one with 1 second left.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
The clock killing shouldn't be at the 5 minute mark and I really haven't seen DH do that with more than 2 or 3 minutes remaining.
The thing that makes me nervous at the end of games is not the clock killing as long as UConn is in the bonus - it's the handling of the press and pressure they see when inbounding the ball, that needs to be cleaned up.
Most every coach goes into a clock killing strategy and this offense tends to use most of the clock when they can't run so its basically in their DNA - just make sure you create an opportunity to get off a good shot.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom