Does Geno Contradict Himself | The Boneyard

Does Geno Contradict Himself

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
“We’re trying to get an identity for this team,” Auriemma said. “We’re trying to [find] kind of a pattern and you have to start doing things a certain way, and the more you do those things a certain way then it becomes who you are. The first half of the Stanford game I thought we really created a lot of opportunities for ourselves and our defense was the deciding factor in that entire first half. I thought we did the exact same thing in the first half of this game and then we did the same things in the third quarter. We want to establish that as our identity, that we feed off of our defense.”

UConn Wins Home Opener 82-47 Over California

Hell, that has been the mantra of play-by-play and color people forever it seems.

Now, on the Geno show Geno all but mocked the notion that defense is paramount in the segment where he talked about how he use to subscribe to that and the first week of practice would be all defense (and by the end of the week people were so badly beat up they couldn't play). He said its called basketball because the game is to put the ball in the basket. In All Access and his show he was emphasizing offensive skills, quicker recognition and crisper passing. At one point with the team gathered around he said he wanted this years team to be quicker.

Well, this can be harmonized. UConn's offense, or any team's, should be better when your opponent is still half up on your defensive end. Turn overs make for easy baskets and increase pressure on the other team, leading to more mistakes by them and opportunities for you.

AND, this team already plays great defense, so, of course, he's trying to increase the game spread aand UConn's chances of ultimate success by refining an offense. You'd think the offensive chemistry was pretty set, but both Kia and Katie Lou say it is a work in progress, with Z and Meg to integrate at least, and good as she is, CD's inclinations and moves are not well know to the Core 4. With Katie Lou out for perhaps several games, Z's integration becomes more crucial. And that is not all on Z. The 4 have to work at her integration too. Tomorrow they have an opportunity to move that along.

Reaction Score
“We’re trying to get an identity for this team,” Auriemma said. “We’re trying to [find] kind of a pattern and you have to start doing things a certain way, and the more you do those things a certain way then it becomes who you are. The first half of the Stanford game I thought we really created a lot of opportunities for ourselves and our defense was the deciding factor in that entire first half. I thought we did the exact same thing in the first half of this game and then we did the same things in the third quarter. We want to establish that as our identity, that we feed off of our defense.”

Hell, that has been the mantra of play-by-play and color people forever it seems.

Now, on the Geno show Geno all but mocked the notion that defense is paramount in the segment where he talked about how he use to subscribe to that and the first week of practice would be all defense (and by the end of the week people were so badly beat up they couldn't play). He said its called basketball because the game is to put the ball in the basket. In All Access and his show he was emphasizing offensive skills, quicker recognition and crisper passing. At one point with the team gathered around he said he wanted this years team to be quicker.

Well, this can be harmonized. UConn's offense, or any team's, should be better when your opponent is still half up on your defensive end. Turn overs make for easy baskets and increase pressure on the other team, leading to more mistakes by them and opportunities for you.

AND, this team already plays great defense, so, of course, he's trying to increase the game spread aand UConn's chances of ultimate success by refining an offense. You'd think the offensive chemistry was pretty set, but both Kia and Katie Lou say it is a work in progress, with Z and Meg to integrate at least, and good as she is, CD's inclinations and moves are not well know to the Core 4. With Katie Lou out for perhaps several games, Z's integration becomes more crucial. And that is not all on Z. The 4 have to work at her integration too. Tomorrow they have an opportunity to move that along.

I picked up on that too. But I don't think it is a contradiction. I think he's talking two different times on the importance of both. I always thought that Geno was better than Pat Summit (I believe Summit to be awesome as a coach/recruiter. Just always thought Geno was better.) because he gets annoyed with lousy offensive play too and he does something about it. That's why he has so much success landing the top recruits. Offensively gifted players like DT and Maya Moore and now look at our current crop such Dangerfield - they don't want to be pinned down in 55-52 game. They want their talents to be shown off while being part of a winning atmosphere. By shown off- I mean "uptempo." Even when UCONN had Dolson, Stewie and Stokes, they tried to play uptempo. As Geno said on the show, that he never heard any of the star recruits say they want to be the best defensive player in the nation or he said something similar to that affect. Geno pushes both. I think when he speaks of either it just so happens at the moment offense or defense was prime point of discussion.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Here is why it isn't a contradiction:

When he says basketball has that name for a reason, it's a game where the goal is to put the ball in the basket, I think he recognized that players naturally prefer to play offense – to put the ball in the basket, and don't naturally gravitate toward emphasis on defense. Years ago, he decided that defense was so important that would, as he described, spent a week or so in which they worked on defensive drills without shooting at the basket, ever. My guess is that this was very frustrating for the players. I think he has modified his practices so that there is a mixture, probably more defense than they would like, but not the extreme of 100% defense for a long stretch.

My guess is that he still thinks defense is extremely important, and more important for a coach to work on because any player casually working out in a gym is working on shooting the basketball, but he has recognized that players want to shoot at the basket, so he allows that to be part of the early practices.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
I think that Geno has learned over the years that it is easier to teach an offensive player to play defense than it is to teach a defensive player to play offense.
I believe you are right.

John Wooden has said something similar. Defense is something that can be taught. Great offensive players have attributes that cannot be taught: Instincts, ability to see the floor, anticipating events before they happen, whatever.

I'll bet Sveta was like that. Probably Bird. Rizzotti? Taurasi would almost have to fit. Maya?

Reaction Score
I picked up on that apparent contradiction, too. My immediate take was that Geno is trying to lull opposing teams into complacency by downplaying the importance of defense. Defense is clearly an X-factor for the Huskies, always has been. They utterly destroyed Cal last night with their full court press, which led to turnover after turnover, often even after Cal had made it across half court.

I think pace of play is shaping up as this season's other X-factor. All of this is made possible by the superior conditioning (and this year, enhanced depth) that the Huskies possess.

Reaction Score

Geno, as anyone who has a mike in his face for 30 years, will say many things off the top of his head--he is the original hip shooter, in that anyone will contradict previous statement. If a person "grows, intellectually, and observes the world; their views will change. \
This one reason I detest the "gotcha's" ---you wrote or said this 20 years ago, while in college--now you say this. Darn, if a person's views don't change and adjust with facts--he/she/it is a robot. So to hold Geno to standards that we won't hold ourselves ---is blatantly unfair.
I'm pretty sure for most of Geno's on air/media comment --if you dig you can find one that seems to contradict. Please don't review my posting--full of contradictions.\

Sorry Rocky--one of my many pet peeves!!

Reaction Score
I believe you are right.

John Wooden has said something similar. Defense is something that can be taught. Great offensive players have attributes that cannot be taught: Instincts, ability to see the floor, anticipating events before they happen, whatever.

I'll bet Sveta was like that. Probably Bird. Rizzotti? Taurasi would almost have to fit. Maya?

I moved back to Conn to see Sveta play--stayed a year or two after she graduated--and moved to Va, taxes, gas, traffic--but no UC WBB.
Svetlana was a product of the Soviet Olympic pre selection and 20 years of basketball in all OFFENSIVE skills --defense not so much. She was taught.
EDD had a basketball personal coach and a trainer for much of her childhood into college.
John Wooden, was a Basketball hero of mine, decent man, fantastic coach. But I'll differ a bit from his beliefs ; Defense can be taught, Geno shows that every season. Offense learning is easier with a talented/ basketball tilted individual. But most assuredly offense can be taught and taught well. Believe it or not GENO teaches offense; how to see the floor, how to use the back board (very good players come to Uconn and learn to use the backboard, how to hold the ball in a shooting position, where that players best shots should come from and how to use either hand, can and are taught.
Admittedly players like Stew and DT and Maya come with skills--it would naive to think teaching didn't make them better.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
I moved back to Conn to see Sveta play--stayed a year or two after she graduated--and moved to Va, taxes, gas, traffic--but no UC WBB.
Svetlana was a product of the Soviet Olympic pre selection and 20 years of basketball in all OFFENSIVE skills --defense not so much. She was taught.
EDD had a basketball personal coach and a trainer for much of her childhood into college.
John Wooden, was a Basketball hero of mine, decent man, fantastic coach. But I'll differ a bit from his beliefs ; Defense can be taught, Geno shows that every season. Offense learning is easier with a talented/ basketball tilted individual. But most assuredly offense can be taught and taught well. Believe it or not GENO teaches offense; how to see the floor, how to use the back board (very good players come to Uconn and learn to use the backboard, how to hold the ball in a shooting position, where that players best shots should come from and how to use either hand, can and are taught.
Admittedly players like Stew and DT and Maya come with skills--it would naive to think teaching didn't make them better.
Undoubtedly players can be taught offense. But the intangibles, the instincts, innate ability, that can't be taught. Crystal is a current example regarding how she sees the floor and times her passes.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Geno, as anyone who has a mike in his face for 30 years, will say many things off the top of his head--he is the original hip shooter, in that anyone will contradict previous statement. If a person "grows, intellectually, and observes the world; their views will change. \
This one reason I detest the "gotcha's" ---you wrote or said this 20 years ago, while in college--now you say this. Darn, if a person's views don't change and adjust with facts--he/she/it is a robot. So to hold Geno to standards that we won't hold ourselves ---is blatantly unfair.
I'm pretty sure for most of Geno's on air/media comment --if you dig you can find one that seems to contradict. Please don't review my posting--full of contradictions.\

Sorry Rocky--one of my many pet peeves!!

Nothing to be sorry about. His current statements have me a little confused, though I agree that Geno often says things that could be seen as contradictory. He also just said, hardly a surprise, that you can come out of HS as a really talented offensive player, but if you won't learn how to play defense you won't play for him. No change in philosophy.

Reaction Score

Yes- it all depends on the degree though. Being very good scoring on busted plays can't be taught that well though. And a very good defensive team can disrupt the offense. Things that Maya can do such as elevate over a defender and shoot consistently well time over time can't be taught as efficiently as Maya had already had coming to the program. Kids in college don't have unlimited time. For example as good as Swen Nater was, he could never be taught in 4 years to have the instincts that Walton had offensively. Same with Maya and her jumper.

Reaction Score
Maybe a bit of an age thing with Geno. We should keep an eye{or ear} out for further signs.
]\

Signs? I saw some of those signs in East Hartford, in a barber shop window. Yep, I have seen signs, probably more as he ages, many in Ct but as he ages they seem to pop up all over, even Italy!!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom