Does Body Language Matter? | The Boneyard

Does Body Language Matter?

Reaction Score
Curious to hear from the Yard on this.. We all know we need to improve our crunch time efficiency and winning percentage going forward. Not going to beat a dead horse about what got us to this point re: 1-8 for the last two years.

My question is -- Does the demeanor/body language of the coach/staff inside the huddle and how they deliver their message affect the player's on court execution? I have spent time observing opposing coaches and their demeanor in our close games and how they are delivering their message. Are your player's reading your body language and seeing ..Here we go again! or are they seeing. We got this! I am not talking about courtside demeanor while the game is happening.

I know we have coaches/players on the Yard..If you were DH-- What would you do re: this? Maybe nothing. Curious if you think players respond to different coaching styles in the huddle when things haven't been going their way at crunch time.

FWIW.. Have been in huddles many times back in the day.. Don't know if changing things up provides a different result in this case.

Reaction Score
That could have something to do with it. But I think that we have to look at the underlying issue. It would be great if all that needed to be fixed was 1 or 2 little things, rather than accept the limitations of our team. I refer to the thread that questioned whether we should shorten our shoot around. I think there is something here we need to admit. A questionable, tentative barely ranked team loses these kinds of game and the rankings are just a guess after all (especially for low 20 high teen teams). This team has yet to prove that: they should beat Creighton 9 out of 10 times, and that this past loss was an anomaly.

Reaction Score
That could have something to do with it. But I think that we have to look at the underlying issue. It would be great if all that needed to be fixed was 1 or 2 little things, rather than accept the limitations of our team. I refer to the thread that questioned whether we should shorten our shoot around. I think there is something here we need to admit. A questionable, tentative barely ranked team loses these kinds of game and the rankings are just a guess after all (especially for low 20 high teen teams). This team has yet to prove that: they should beat Creighton 9 out of 10 times, and that this past loss was an anomaly.
This is not something Yarders who have a Top 10 team thread going right now will care to come to grips with. On any given good shooting night we can stay with and beat most anyone, but the converse is unfortunately true also.

Reaction Score
I would say yes, it does matter. But it's not the most important factor. If you have a leader, shot creator, and shotmaker like a Kemba or Shabazz, it matters less. If you have a crisp half-court offense and rely less on athletes making plays in transition, it matters less. If you are good at drawing fouls, it matters less. Etc., etc.

Reaction Score
This is not something Yarders who have a Top 10 team thread going right now will care to come to grips with. On any given good shooting night we can stay with and beat most anyone, but the converse is unfortunately true also.
Exactly. Well put. I think that we all want this team to be back to our glory. We are getting there, though

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I'm not sure that body language is a real issue for the assistant coaches, they have very little interaction during the game unless a player sits directly next to them. I remember JC and KO directing AC's to speak to players coming off the court etc.
I also haven't seen DH display any real bad body language during huddles, but he does have some curious moves during the game -he lets his facial expressions do all his talking!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Simon

Top Bottom