Does Big 12 need a conference championship game? | The Boneyard

Does Big 12 need a conference championship game?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Should the Big 12's top 3 teams go 0-3 this bowl season (Alabama over Oklahoma, Mizzou over Okie St), it seems like the Big 12 could be the bottom of the P5 going into next season. They may need to consider a conference championship game in order to look better in the eyes of the playoff selection committee.

Does anyone think Big 12 expansion could be coming sooner than later?

Reaction Score
Lol that would be the final nail in the coffin, since there is no way we are going.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Yeah, I agree. The B12 needs a title game but it's interesting to see if they will expand because I believe that their GOR is written in a way that if they expand, Texas would lose power. I'm sure the conference would have to appease Texas somehow if they expanded by re-writing some rules to ensure that Texas not only plays in the Conference championship game every year, but that they also earn 100% of B12 revenue. But in all seriousness, UCF and Cincinnati would be as good as gone if the B12 expands. I would think that UCF/USF (or both), Cincinnati, BYU, Boise St (?), Houston, and possibly Fresno State/Colorado State/Nevada types would be on their radar. But at least UCF's win helped temporarily boost AAC's profile before they get their AAC escape pod! ;)

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Used to hope for it. But at the moment, I think it would pull Cinci and UCF from the AAC.

At this point, I can't see it being anyone but UCF and Cinci. Unless they go all-in and grab Cinci, UCF, BYU and UConn ( essentially grabbing the last 4 programs with any value off the table), then I think were screwed if they just add 2 teams.

The problem is at 10, teams are guaranteed OU / Texas every other season. The more you expand, obviously the less often these marquee teams come to town.

The CCG money may be good enough to expand by 2, but unless Fox goes overboard, I don't think 14 teams is likely.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Same delusional dude who wants the AAC to cover UCF's Fiesta Bowl loses before distributing the money to the rest of the conference members. Here is his view on UCF - Big12:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/spor...l-mike-bianchi-0102-20140101,0,2980831.column

One of the many things about our '11 Fiesta Bowl trip that p1sses me off is that UCONN was pinned as the poster child for why some schools shouldn't go to the BCS because of ticket sales from the school. Because the Big East didn't cover the losses for UCONN, the amount UCONN lost on the game was reported all over the place. Meanwhile, OU only sold about 6500 of their allotment (only about 2K more than UCONN) but because the B12 does cover losses for the school, nobody hears a peep about that. Plus, we're all supposed to believe that there were only 4K UCONN fans in Arizona because the fans must have only purchased tickets through the school. Meanwhile, OU must've had 60,000 there because they are so much smarter and savvy to buy tickets on StubHub.

The whole bowl system and ticket sales are really a joke. And the schools that are pinned to be the problem (UCONN), are completely arbitrary and fictional.

Reaction Score
Dooley said:
One of the many things about our '11 Fiesta Bowl trip that p1sses me off is that UCONN was pinned as the poster child for why some schools shouldn't go to the BCS because of ticket sales from the school. Because the Big East didn't cover the losses for UCONN, the amount UCONN lost on the game was reported all over the place. Meanwhile, OU only sold about 6500 of their allotment (only about 2K more than UCONN) but because the B12 does cover losses for the school, nobody hears a peep about that. Plus, we're all supposed to believe that there were only 4K UCONN fans in Arizona because the fans must have only purchased tickets through the school. Meanwhile, OU must've had 60,000 there because they are so much smarter and savvy to buy tickets on StubHub. The whole bowl system and ticket sales are really a joke. And the schools that are pinned to be the problem (UCONN), are completely arbitrary and fictional.

Warde should bring up these points repeatedly in interviews and in press conferences. UConn should dictate the conversation more. Where UL and Jurich excel is in bragging and twisting info to their advantage. Our administration needs to get with it when it comes to controlling the message.

Reaction Score
Should the Big 12's top 3 teams go 0-3 this bowl season (Alabama over Oklahoma, Mizzou over Okie St), it seems like the Big 12 could be the bottom of the P5 going into next season. They may need to consider a conference championship game in order to look better in the eyes of the playoff selection committee.

Does anyone think Big 12 expansion could be coming sooner than later?

If a Big 12 team is excluded from the 4 team playoff on a frequent basis over the next few years then yes I think Big 12 expansion could be coming sooner rather than later. It will be interesting to see the lobbying that occurs in the press by conference commissioners and school ADs over the next few years to try and sway the playoff selection committee. I suspect the SEC is going to cite their conference strength of schedule to try and get two SEC teams into the playoff. I imagine the ACC, B1G, Big 12 and Pac 12 will push back and lobby for the inclusion of conference champions only; then the ACC, B1G and Pac 12 will tout the presence of having a conference championship game as another factor that should work in their favor. Lets face it, the SEC champion will always be included in the 4 team playoff. The ACC, B1G, Big 12 and Pac 12 will be fighting over the last 3 spots and the lack of a conference championship game could certainly work against the Big 12.

Reaction Score
One of the many things about our '11 Fiesta Bowl trip that p1sses me off is that UCONN was pinned as the poster child for why some schools shouldn't go to the BCS because of ticket sales from the school. Because the Big East didn't cover the losses for UCONN, the amount UCONN lost on the game was reported all over the place. Meanwhile, OU only sold about 6500 of their allotment (only about 2K more than UCONN) but because the B12 does cover losses for the school, nobody hears a peep about that. Plus, we're all supposed to believe that there were only 4K UCONN fans in Arizona because the fans must have only purchased tickets through the school. Meanwhile, OU must've had 60,000 there because they are so much smarter and savvy to buy tickets on StubHub.

The whole bowl system and ticket sales are really a joke. And the schools that are pinned to be the problem (UCONN), are completely arbitrary and fictional.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/spor...f-fiesta-bowl-tickets-20140101,0,4700757.post

Says Baylor returned 5K tickets. I was at that game and over half of the lower bowl was Baylor. It's safe to say that there were more than 12K Baylor fans at that game.

I was also staying at the same hotel as the Baylor Travel package folks. Nice people but man was I happy to talk to them about UCF embarrassing them Thursday morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom