Does Basketball Ban Hurt Realignment Chance | The Boneyard

Does Basketball Ban Hurt Realignment Chance

Status
Not open for further replies.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
So out of curiosity and the fact that I refuse to even pretend to catch up on the ACC thread, I was wondering what people's thoughts were on the postseason ban. This could be crippling to our basketball program and in all honesty, that was the biggest force behind a possible move to the ACC. Let's be honest, our football isn't going to be driving the bus if we move to a power conference. While our team is ok, it's not what the conferences want. Clearly the ACC grabbed Syracuse and Pitt for its basketball. I think everyone can say that UConn would be moving to a new conference based on the strength of its hoops program. However, does this postseason ban banish us to this hodge podge Big East for good?

I sure hope not....

Reaction Score
The ban will not hurt but a continued approach of suing their way out of things might. Take the medicine and move on.

Reaction Score
So out of curiosity and the fact that I refuse to even pretend to catch up on the ACC thread, I was wondering what people's thoughts were on the postseason ban. This could be crippling to our basketball program and in all honesty, that was the biggest force behind a possible move to the ACC. Let's be honest, our football isn't going to be driving the bus if we move to a power conference. While our team is ok, it's not what the conferences want. Clearly the ACC grabbed Syracuse and Pitt for its basketball. I think everyone can say that UConn would be moving to a new conference based on the strength of its hoops program. However, does this postseason ban banish us to this hodge podge Big East for good?

I sure hope not....
It already may have done that.

I am not a believer that DeFillipo was the only reason Uconn was not part of the last ACC expansion. Not when Hockey East, a league that BC actually is successful in and where a Boston voice has a lot more influence than in the ACC, is actively looking to add Uconn. The HE holdup looks like Uconn right now in terms of the overall costs of upgrading (facilities, scholarships and Title IX issues).

There have been rumors, and since rumors pass as fact for many posters on this board, that several ACC BB schools were hesitant about Uconn because of the past and pending sanctions. I think that an assumption has been made that Roy and K are friends of Calhoun and, again, rumors from people I know inside both schools, suggest otherwise. There is also the rumor that with UNC and Miami facing serious issues (and Clemson and FSU are always on that line too) that adding one more with issues was not a great move, although it appears that Cuse may be a 2014 casualty in BB.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
It doesn't matter. The only conference that UConn has a prayer of joining, the ACC, is about to get raided itself. There is no where to go. War is over.

nadav

I hit skins for the hell of it
Reaction Score
If the ACC cared at all about mishaps and sanctions they may have looked at someone other than Syracuse.

Reaction Score
It doesn't matter. The only conference that UConn has a prayer of joining, the ACC, is about to get raided itself. There is no where to go. War is over.
When did you become all Ragnarök?

Reaction Score
The Hockey East argument is flawed. Just because you want us in for hockey doesn't mean at all that you want us in for football. Different ball game.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
There have been rumors, and since rumors pass as fact for many posters on this board, that several ACC BB schools were hesitant about Uconn because of the past and pending sanctions.

A bigger risk is Basketball post-Calhoun and Football post-Edsall.

The Pittsburgh and Syracuse raids date back to the 1998 due dilgence. The B12 had interest in WVU and the ACC didn't. There were strategic reasons to re-open the media contract. The B12 was kicking the tires of Pitt in rumors. The ACC ended that invasion North. Strategically the ACC bet is simple: they are the only realistic options for Rutgers and UConn. And they are in no hurry. This ACC/BE Football Merger is in its 15th year. Rutgers is the only orphan from the original discussions.. Miami, Syracuse, Pitt, VTech, and Boston College are in the ACC. Temple was a non-factor then and now. UConn didn't have a program. Rutgers remains the Red Dwarf. Great media market; lousy Athletic Department.

If UConn is still dominant in 5 years then some conferences might start kicking the tires again. Otherwise it depends on the B12 to expand.

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
No. Not at all. Zilch. None.

Colleges with glass windows don't throw stones.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom