Does anyone remember how good Lamb was his Sophomore year? | The Boneyard

Does anyone remember how good Lamb was his Sophomore year?

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
So weird he doesn’t shoot the ball from his ankles wonder why his coach would let him do that? Odd he doesn’t dip the ball when he is closely defended. Incredible.

Reaction Score
So weird he doesn’t shoot the ball from his ankles wonder why his coach would let him do that? Odd he doesn’t dip the ball when he is closely defended. Incredible.

Did we just watch the same video? He clearly dips when he has time and space. Shabazz dips, Kemba dips, Ray dipped real low. Weird hills to die on lately. Clearly Lamb adjusts his dip and release point when someone is up in his face but every shooter does.

Reaction Score
I remember how disappointing that season was...I had huge expectations going in thinking bazz would make the step up from 6th man to lead man, Lamb would be a star, drummond and AO would be the best uconn front court since Thabeet and Adrien...but it just never came together

Lamb did make the jump that year, but everyone else needed 2 more years...which we can forgive them for in hindsight!

Also, that dunk against columbia...never gets old...RIP columbia defender

Reaction Score
I remember how disappointing that season was...I had huge expectations going in thinking bazz would make the step up from 6th man to lead man, Lamb would be a star, drummond and AO would be the best uconn front court since Thabeet and Adrien...but it just never came together

Lamb did make the jump that year, but everyone else needed 2 more years...which we can forgive them for in hindsight!

Also, that dunk against columbia...never gets old...RIP columbia defender
Really crazy how much talent was on that team. It just wasn't particularly cohesive.

Reaction Score
Really crazy how much talent was on that team. It just wasn't particularly cohesive.
There was an article way back when where Bazz talked about struggling as a leader that year. He said something along the lines of trying too hard to be like Kemba and wasn't ready for that role yet so it caused some tension on the team. Was it also that year or jr year, where is brother/close friend died (when he grew out the rat tail)?

Reaction Score
I remember almost everyone on that team being a disappointment that season, which I'm sure is not fair. It was a talented team with no chemistry and it felt that they all hated each other (which was only partially true).

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
Sucks that the only memory I have of J Lamb that season is the final missed dunk.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Lamb was incredible. Bazz said the season fell on him bc it was his first year as a leader and didn’t know how to handle it. Calhoun could’ve handled AO and Drummond better.

But back to lamb. He improved so much from the previous year. It was a lot of fun to watch him

Reaction Score

it could be. lamb was an efficient, consistent slasher/scorer. & the best player. even in the nba he’s averaging 11 pts, 4 rebs. he’d be even better if OKC didn’t screw him

Reaction Score
J. Lamb is great here but Shabazz looks so great here as well. The dimes are countless setting up Lamb on a range of shots.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Whatever Lamb did in that off season is the exact program our guards and wings should be doing every off season. Freshman Lamb showed promise. Sophomore Lamb was a different animal entirely.

Reaction Score
Was it also that year or jr year, where is brother/close friend died (when he grew out the rat tail)?
Yeah, same year.

I might cut it soon, because a lot of teams say something funny about it," Napier said. "It irritates me, because they don’t understand where I’m coming from. The (Coppin State) fan base today was talking about it so much. I’m doing it out of someone who I love so much and died."

Napier continued:

“When he died, it took a lot out of me. It was one of the hardest things of my life. I’ve just been contemplating whether or not I should cut it. Teams try to make fun of it. Knowing myself, I might get ticked off one day and get in someone’s face about it. It’s something real deep, and I don’t appreciate a lot of people talking bad about it. Not a lot of people understand where I come from, so you can’t really blame them.”

Reaction Score
He was such a natural scorer that I almost feel like he should have been better that year. The Drummund/Oriakhi tensions are blamed for a lot of what happened that season, but to me it was also clear that Shabazz and Lamb never really clicked -- there were flashes, but not enough. Tough team to watch.

Reaction Score
He was such a natural scorer that I almost feel like he should have been better that year. The Drummund/Oriakhi tensions are blamed for a lot of what happened that season, but to me it was also clear that Shabazz and Lamb never really clicked -- there were flashes, but not enough. Tough team to watch.
Honestly, I don’t remember Lamb being a dominant player in 2012. I know he was good enough to leave after two years, but I have more memories of Lamb during his FR year. That probably has to do with the success of both teams of 2011 vs 2012. That 2012 team should have been a lot more dominant than it was, and Ive said before that if Calhoun didn’t think he had a shot at another Final Four, he probably just would have retired after 2011.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom