OT: Does anyone remember Bess Eaton? (and the quintessential New England experience)

Friendly's was my first payroll job at 16. They had a mentally challenged kid running the dishwasher. I used to have to redo all of them and check the ones that were dried to make sure they were actually clean. Many weren't. I was eventually promoted to making cones and Fribbles, but was soon fired for not adhering to the Friendly's way of scooping ice cream in thin ribbons so there was a lot of air in a scoop.

sounds like you were the mentally challenged one

And all you can drink beer, wine or sangria. Not sure that ad campaign would fly these days, but I'm sure it was fun while it lasted.
yeah I was too young to take advantage of that, but my dad sure as hell did. I forgot about that! absolutely true though, pitchers of beer wine and sangria until you dropped.

Caldors and Bradlees were fine and I loved railroad salvage but no stars for me. Also, no ten pin bowling, just duckpin. Lots of taverns in Torrington weren't big on carding which was a plus when you were 15-16. When I was 16 I went to the grogge shop liquor store at the Parkade. Instead of carding me the guy gave me a tour of the store. We were on a first name basis after that night. The Genee creams never tasted so good. Also, we would smoke up and head to Beefsteaks (Avon?) The beer was Piels and it was nasty and the shrimp were in large bowl of ice. Lots of ice not much shrimp.
Amen to duckpin bowling! So much more fun and challenging than tenpin.

Grew up bowling every Saturday morning in the Junior league at Arcade Lanes in Torrington.

Also in East Htfd:
Eastwood Movie Theatre
I'm sure there's a lot more that will be thought of, but these come to mind for me.
Like Poor Richard's, perhaps? That place had a write-up in Time. I remember seeing History of the World first run and not laughing that much. Saw it again at Poor Richard's with a couple of pitchers and couldn't stop laughing.

the Q

Thanos 2020: he did nothing wrong
My life philosophy is to always bring added value. Customers LOVED my scoops!
No question . But It obviously throws off their costs and profit numbers. Especially without a quantifiable way to track repeat customers or regulars (how regular is a regular for ice cream or a milkshake?)

yeah I was too young to take advantage of that, but my dad sure as hell did. I forgot about that! absolutely true though, pitchers of beer wine and sangria until you dropped.
Same here. Went there many a night with the parents and uncles and aunts. Drove home in the way back of a cigarette smoke filled station wagon and no seat belt.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
No question . But It obviously throws off their costs and profit numbers. Especially without a quantifiable way to track repeat customers or regulars (how regular is a regular for ice cream or a milkshake?)
You think I cared about that at 16?

I started working at Caldor two weeks later. That was a difficult situation to add value ;-)

I could have swore that there was a Bess Eaton years ago in East Hartford on Main St.

I remember going there a few times, along with Augie and Rays. That was almost 40 years ago.
Bess Eaton I ever had was at Wheaton College 40 years ago.

Yes Kartway! Hit the batting cages after wandering around Vality for an hour.

All the Fribbles talk reminds me of Awful Awfuls from Newport Creamery (not to be confused with BeeBee Dairy).
Lee's Toy Store in Groton.
There used to be a BeeBee Dairy on West Main in Mystic years ago along with Mystic Sporting Goods.

A few more childhood memories:
Time Out For Sports in Newtown
Value House/Service Merchandise in Danbury
The Haunted House in Newtown
The Danbury Fair
Kathy John's in Storrs
West Haven A's games
Edmond Town Hall $1 movies in Newtown
Orange Julius in the Trumbull Mall

the Q

Thanos 2020: he did nothing wrong
The Danbury Fair
Kathy John's in Storrs
West Haven A's games
kathy Johns has that legit tray of ice cream....dear god that was amazing.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
The Danbury Fair
Kathy John's in Storrs
West Haven A's games
Since you mentioned Danbury a couple of times, how could you forget Danbury Racearena? I never got into NASCAR, but those Danbury races were fun. I was always in the Gino Spada (villain) camp while everyone else usually went for Don or Randy LaJoie.

A Cumberland Farms now sits where Kathy Johns once was.
I would lament it's KJ's passing if it hadn't so blatantly hit the skids late in it's life. But I still get my burgers with cheddar because of their Cheddarburger.