OT: Does anyone remember Bess Eaton? (and the quintessential New England experience)

Bess EatoN. yup. right on avon canton line near where I grewup in simsbury. Remember well.

real question is does anyone remember Lums?
I waitered at Uncle Joe's Place in Newington for a bit. It was the old Lums location and same owner. She was a miserable wretch.

And, when I was a kid, we'd go to the Lums in Rocky Hill or a pupu platter at the Hu Ke Lau.

fleudslipcon

We are UConn!! 4>>>1
Haha, that's great. HoJo's was great as a HS/college kid. We never got any double orders but we'd be there for hours and yeah the waitresses were always shocked. I'll never get the physics of how you can so much back in the day and never really be full.

Were you just a fish fry guy or did you you do the all you can eat BBQ chicken too?
Just a fish fry guy at HoJo's.

I drove my mom crazy as a kid. She had to play all sorts of games to get me to eat. Hated hamburgers. Liked hotdogs. Brother was the opposite. Wednesdays at Y camp was barbecue day. Unfortunately we switched bags unknowingly.

At 15 I became a food vacuum cleaner.
Marriage was a perfect symbiotic relationship. I'd eat, she'd gain the weight. My wife would eat 1/3 of her meals at the restaurant. I'd start by eating two servings of the bread basket otherwise I'd leave hungry, finish my meal, and try my best not to hover over her for the leftovers. Did this at Hawthorne Inn off the Berlin Turnpike New Years Eve circa early 80's. Ate my prime rib, finished two thirds of hers. Hawthorne offered anyone at our table additional servings of everything and I had my third dish. I have to say I wasn't able to get up from the table for 45 minutes. Probably had the weirdest expression on my face. Satiation does that to people.

Also in East Htfd: J.M. Fields Dept Store
Topps Dept Sore
Seaparks Dept Sore
Corkys Pizza
Eastwood Movie Theatre
Hartford== W.T. Grants
Newberrys
Brown Thompson
Sage Allen
Korvettes= still my favorite toy department of all time
Luettgins Ltd
Barry Lopher, I think was calle Barry Ltd
Flaggs Shoes
Federal Bakery
Song Hayes= If they were still around I'd make a reservation in a heartbeat prior to any Uconn
game.

I'm sure there's a lot more that will be thought of, but these come to mind for me.

fleudslipcon

We are UConn!! 4>>>1
Railroad Salvage.

"Ruby Vine here!"
My uncle knew him well.
Ruby fought at the Battle of the Bulge, was wounded three times and captured. Received several metals including the purple heart with 2 clusters.
He sold pots and pans door to door before making enough money to start Railroad Salvage. He parlayed that into other investments but his biggest success was Blakeslee Prestress.

fleudslipcon

We are UConn!! 4>>>1
Jeweler was Bill Savitt. Brought in Babe Ruth and his all stars to play The Savitt Gems at Bulkeley Stadium from the 30's t'll The Babe was no longer able. I still have a high school graduation pen from the store.
All this reminiscing.

I still have a Savitt Award (1964) gold plated ruler with the following inscription.
First line: "Think Big Work Hard Have a Dream"; Second Line: my name; Third line: "The Measure of Love is Love Without Measure".

It meant a lot to me. Treasure it to this day.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
I've only been to the Lums in White River Jct in VT. For years it was our dinner stop on the way to our annual White Mtns hikes. Until one of our party got projectile vomiting from something he ate there.

While I've seen a few mentions of HoJo's and fried fish platters, haven't seen anyone yet mention the fried clams, which is what we always got when there.

fleudslipcon

We are UConn!! 4>>>1
I remember a Bess Eaton in Torrington right off Rt8 next to Burger King , still the best cup of coffee you could buy IMO.
I had a part time job at Caldor"s. who here remembers TwoGuys
Bradlees was at the bottom of hill, Caldors was at the top of the hill or do I have that backwards? Halfway up was a Pizza Hut that my wife and I frequented a lot. The salad bar and the Pizzas were really good for a chain. We were disappointed when it caught fire and didn't rebuild. See that Torrington has a Pizza Hut off of East Main.

Of course we frequented Anthony's Pizza. Checked it online and other than the patio service it hasn't changed from the first day we ate there which unknowingly at the time was the first day he opened the restaurant.

In that lower store area with Bradlees and McDonalds was a Chinese buffet. First in the area. I think it was call China Star Buffet. Served crab legs along with other items. Loved that place but it went downhill when a competitor opened one at the top of the hill in the Caldor Plaza.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Eating my first Reese Pieces 5-scoop sundae from Friendly's was a semi-rite of passage from child to teenager hood.
Friendly's was my first payroll job at 16. They had a mentally challenged kid running the dishwasher. I used to have to redo all of them and check the ones that were dried to make sure they were actually clean. Many weren't. I was eventually promoted to making cones and Fribbles, but was soon fired for not adhering to the Friendly's way of scooping ice cream in thin ribbons so there was a lot of air in a scoop.

Last edited:
I've only been to the Lums in White River Jct in VT. For years it was our dinner stop on the way to our annual White Mtns hikes. Until one of our party got projectile vomiting from something he ate there.

While I've seen a few mentions of HoJo's and fried fish platters, haven't seen anyone yet mention the fried clams, which is what we always got when there.

yup hojos always about the fried clams..... another simsbury stoner salwart, was a Hojos on rte 44 in avon at base of Avon Mountain. Use to hit there after every weekly max creek show at the agora

I waitered at Uncle Joe's Place in Newington for a bit. It was the old Lums location and same owner. She was a miserable wretch.

And, when I was a kid, we'd go to the Lums in Rocky Hill or a pupu platter at the Hu Ke Lau.

we used to go to Beefsteak Charlies the night before the first day of school every year. All you can eat micro shrimp!

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Friendly's was my first payroll job at 16. They had a mentally challenged kid running the dishwashe. I used to have to redo all of them and check the ones that were dried to make sure they were actually clean. Many weren't. I was eventually promoted to making cones and Fribbles, but was soon fired for not adhering to the Friendly's way of scooping ice cream in thin ribbons so there was a lot of air in a scoop.
Well, I never worked there, so it wasn't me. One of my sisters worked at one for a bit and was employee of the month once. For about a decade we'd stop by there just to see her name on the placque. Then it closed down. Used to be right across the street from school/church I went to as a kid. Whenever there was a funeral, the altar boys would fight (sometimes literally) to get the gig. It was a triple whammy. We'd get out of school during the funeral, the dead person's family would throw us some cash after the mass, and then we'd run across the street to get some Friendly's before going back to school.

i think the place you are talking about, the barn into ice cream place, is Micheal's dairy.. its in New London on mitchell college campus. SE CT had bess eatons all over the place.. when i was going to Avery Point, i used to go the one across the street from EB. most of the the bess eatons got turned to tim horton's, and now there are all closed, except for one that is in dowtown westerly ri.. really loved there iced coffees

It was Michael's Dary. The Buscetto's sold it to Mitchell College years ago. They had cows in the barn, made their own milk and delivered it. Also own ice cream which was the best around. I'm sure not the same anymore.

btw, MC may demolish and replace the barn w a new structure.

Last edited:
Friendly's was my first payroll job at 16. They had a mentally challenged kid running the dishwashe. I used to have to redo all of them and check the ones that were dried to make sure they were actually clean. Many weren't. I was eventually promoted to making cones and Fribbles, but was soon fired for not adhering to the Friendly's way of scooping ice cream in thin ribbons so there was a lot of air in a scoop.
Was the Fribble (Awful Awful) a malted? Where can one get a malted nowadays?

Bradlees was at the bottom of hill, Caldors was at the top of the hill or do I have that backwards? Halfway up was a Pizza Hut that my wife and I frequented a lot. The salad bar and the Pizzas were really good for a chain. We were disappointed when it caught fire and didn't rebuild. See that Torrington has a Pizza Hut off of East Main.

Of course we frequented Anthony's Pizza. Checked it online and other than the patio service it hasn't changed from the first day we ate there which unknowingly at the time was the first day he opened the restaurant.

In that lower store area with Bradlees and McDonalds was a Chinese buffet. First in the area. I think it was call China Star Buffet. Served crab legs along with other items. Loved that place but it went downhill when a competitor opened one at the top of the hill in the Caldor Plaza.
The Bradlees was in the Torrington Plaza right across the street from Coe Park and I only knew the Caldor's being located all the way across town in the plaza with the crummy movie theater and the Card Gallery. The department store on the top of the hill was the discount dpeartment store called Stars.

Railroad Salvage....good one. This might be my favorite OT thread. I love reminiscing about staple destinations of my childhood. Kartway in Gales Ferry...go karts and ice cream for decades until just recently.
Yes Kartway! Hit the batting cages after wandering around Vality for an hour.

All the Fribbles talk reminds me of Awful Awfuls from Newport Creamery (not to be confused with BeeBee Dairy).

The Bradlees was in the Torrington Plaza right across the street from Coe Park and I only knew the Caldor's being located all the way across town in the plaza with the crummy movie theater and the Card Gallery. The department store on the top of the hill was the discount dpeartment store called Stars.
Stars!

I bought many a GI Joe figure there. I lived in the dumpy Georgetown Apartments for a short time (a HORRIBLE place to live just for the name alone during the mid-80s).

Yes Kartway! Hit the batting cages after wandering around Vality for an hour.

All the Fribbles talk reminds me of Awful Awfuls from Newport Creamery (not to be confused with BeeBee Dairy).
At first, Friendly called theirs the Awful Awful. They had to change it to Fribble because the name Awful was already owned by Newport Creamery. Prominent husky's brother asked Friendly waitress why it's called that: "Because it's awfully big and awfully good".

QDOG5

It's great to be here, it's great to be anywhere.
Caldors and Bradlees were fine and I loved railroad salvage but no stars for me. Also, no ten pin bowling, just duckpin. Lots of taverns in Torrington weren't big on carding which was a plus when you were 15-16. When I was 16 I went to the grogge shop liquor store at the Parkade. Instead of carding me the guy gave me a tour of the store. We were on a first name basis after that night. The Genee creams never tasted so good. Also, we would smoke up and head to Beefsteaks (Avon?) The beer was Piels and it was nasty and the shrimp were in large bowl of ice. Lots of ice not much shrimp.

TRest

Horrible
Bess EatoN. yup. right on avon canton line near where I grewup in simsbury. Remember well.

there was one in Plainville, hot dogs cooked in beer?