OT: Does anyone remember Bess Eaton? (and the quintessential New England experience)

-
When I was kid that Salem rotary was a 4-corners intersection. This new thing has so many striping patterns it confuses me. I have been through it three times in the last 4 months. I have no idea how long it has been there. The rotary in Killingworth (@swami7774 ) is smaller, yet manageable for cars. Big trucks always ride up the interior curbing. Salem is bigger. The Madison rotary is great.
The 4 corner offense was better.

We had a Bess Eaton and a Tim Hortons in Groton and Mystic...never went to either of them. We did frequent Caldor and Bradlees....and then there was Pizza Pipes and Pandemonium where they had a gigantic pipe organ where the organist would take requests. He played a killer “Chariots of Fire”
Pizza, Pipes & Pandemonium was amazing. So sad when that closed up for good.

I’m surprised there’s been no mention of Railroad Salvage yet.

Wendy’s Too?? Always a must-visit for HCC games in the 80s.

Back to the SECT area, there will never be a better mini golf course than the one at Maple Breeze. (RIP)

Now we're talking. I do a cookbook just on that. Breakfast of champions! It was a regular feature at my Sunday brunches when I had the coffeehouse. Red, green, w/wo meat, runny egg, sometimes w/poblanos or chipotle... love 'em any way I can make 'em. I'll say that I've been told mine are better than any Mex restaurant in town. Then again, Mex food here pretty much sucks outside of tacos.

Sometimes I'll go out an buy a rotisserie chicken just to make it the next day.
I can eat them for breakfast, lunch, and dinner and have in Mexico. Going down again to Mexico City in the spring to basically just eat and to drink chelas and tequila. The enchiladas and chilaquiles are so much better down there.

You want breakfast? Coffee, regular, and a buttered hard roll. The more poppy seeds the better. That's breakfast.

Best hangouts for my childhood.....
Jks
The palace theatre and the cine
Bradlees
Toy world
Bargain world
Triple play cards
Courtyard collectibles
That Woolworth on main st. Grilled cheese ff and a shake!!!!
Fernandes corner store for candy in the summer
Ponderosa
And DiSorbo’s and Angelo’s pizza with carvel right across the street!!!
Oh wait. And bike express no doubt. That’s my wheels man.

But how many of you remember Howdy Beefburger Drive Ins???
Remember? I long for the days! The best thing about Howdy is that they didn't have any rules about how long a burger could sit in the bin. I liked when you got one where half the bottom bun was crunchy. It was a nice textural contrast.

The Howdy in EH is now the D'angelo next to the Coke plant.

Pizza, Pipes & Pandemonium was amazing. So sad when that closed up for good.

I’m surprised there’s been no mention of Railroad Salvage yet.

Wendy’s Too?? Always a must-visit for HCC games in the 80s.

Back to the SECT area, there will never be a better mini golf course than the one at Maple Breeze. (RIP)
Railroad Salvage....good one. This might be my favorite OT thread. I love reminiscing about staple destinations of my childhood. Kartway in Gales Ferry...go karts and ice cream for decades until just recently.

Remember? I long for the days! The best thing about Howdy is that they didn't have any rules about how long a burger could sit in the bin. I liked when you got one where half the bottom bun was crunchy. It was a nice textural contrast.

D'Angelo's closed. There is a noodle place going in.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Ahh Vernon. Spent much time there as I lived on the border and could ride my bike. Don't remember super cute girls at Carvel unfortunately. Isn't there a guy code about your buddy's sisters?
I grew up in Vernon/Rockville
I remember when there was no Vernon Circle - only a farm and home on a hill where the 99 Restaurant now sits

As long as we’re talking donuts, the best donut in the history of the world is at Belltown orchards in Glastonbury. Apple cider donut. Can’t eat more than 6-8 at a time.

CL82

Another beautiful day in Storrs
HoJo’s all you can eat fish fry. I was a skinny kid who went once with two hefty friends. Placed our orders and waitress brought them a double order and me a single. She starts to leave and I stopped her saying I want the same as them. She came back, placed the order and looked at me as if daring me to eat it. We finished that order and two more double orders. Well I did. They almost did. I had two more doubles after that.
Haha, that's great. HoJo's was great as a HS/college kid. We never got any double orders but we'd be there for hours and yeah the waitresses were always shocked. I'll never get the physics of how you can so much back in the day and never really be full.

Were you just a fish fry guy or did you you do the all you can eat BBQ chicken too?

HuskyHawk

Hoping to see something that looks like basketball
I grew up in Vernon/Rockville
I remember when there was no Vernon Circle - only a farm and home on a hill where the 99 Restaurant now sits
Longer ago then me. We moved to Manchester in 71. Our backyard (woods) was on Vernon street. Used to go to the circle often, and the go-carts/arcade and Vernon cinema was reachable by bike.

Remember the commercial for Howdy Beefburger. Howdy this is Curt Gowdy from your Howdy Beefburger Drive-In