OT: Does anyone remember Bess Eaton? (and the quintessential New England experience)

As the title states, that was a quintessential aspect of my Saturdays growing up in New England. In the fall I got a chocolate doughnut before soccer games, in the winter, before basketball games and in the spring, before baseball games. If it was an especially early game or I was carpooling with a friend, my mom would always come to get me after the game, a bag with a few doughnuts in hand. I heard they shut down for a number of years, at least all the locations in CT, only to reopen in Rhode Island a few years later.

Other places, while not just New England only, that I still remember, were Carvel ice cream (I think with a head quarters in CT, but also NY) and FuncoLand. Carvel was the go to place my baseball coach would take the team after a hard fought win in late Spring or early Summer. I remember collecting little plastic baseball caps with the logo of each team over the course of several years from carvel. There was another place, the name escapes my mind, that was turned from a barn into an ice cream place in SE CT. And, if I was well behaved as a kid and did my chores, Funcoland was always a cool trek (had to be in New London) where I would spend too much of my hard earned $$. Always seeming to coinside with that awful, boring trip to A and P either before or after.

There were a few local places, specific to Old Lyme that remain open to this day which blows my mind, in a rapidly changing world it is cool to feel you can always go home and see some of the same stuff you saw as a kid 25+ years ago.

Any way, what, in your opinion, are some places from your childhood that are worthy of representing New England (and are they still around or not?).

Last edited:
I used to go to Bess Eaton in Middletown when I was a kid...then they opened a DD across the street...then pretty soon after they turned Bess Eaton into a DD

I also always used to like Friendlys as a kid, where they always had Carvel ice cream

Manhattan bagel was another one we used to do every Sunday morning...then they got shut down for health code violations

gtcam

Diehard since '65
A&P with the roller tracks that put your grocery bags in a cart a it rolled to the outside where you drove up to the front of the store and picked out your bags
Burger King
Chess King in all the malls
Sams Army Navy
Caldor
WT Grant
Kings Department Stores
Howard Johnsons
Rambler and Corvair Dealers
Cutlers Records in New Haven

There was a Bess Eaton in Bristol on corner of Farmington ave and King Street. That is where my Dad would always get our donuts. Loved them. Then a few DD's opened and The Whole Donut came to Bristol. There was actually a Big Dozen on Main Street for a while. There thing is they gave you 13 donuts when you ordered a dozen.
Those were the days when you actually went to a donut shop to get donuts

Across the street from me in Hartford, intersection of New Britain and Newfield Aves. My mother said the doughnuts weren't that good. She had to be the one to prepare the sweets.

I think there was a Bess Eaton in Salem, right near the rotary. Not sure what it is now.

A couple of chains I remember as a kid were Ponderosa and Bonanza steakhouses in the Danbury/Brookfield area. I was too young to know what a real good steak was. Ignorance was bliss. There was also a Hardee's on route 7 in Brookfield. Good burgers and chocolate shakes, if I recall correctly.

A&P with the roller tracks that put your grocery bags in a cart a it rolled to the outside where you drove up to the front of the store and picked out your bags
Burger King
Chess King in all the malls
Sams Army Navy
Caldor
WT Grant
Kings Department Stores
Howard Johnsons
Rambler and Corvair Dealers
Cutlers Records in New Haven
lol Chess King had one at the Meriden Square think I got my first suede leisure suit from there it was stylin’ with the silk shirt with a big collar :oops:

1960's to 80's Kresge's, later Jupiter in downtown Hartford. Bob Steele used to announce sales from the top of the stairs at lunch hour. Next door to Newberry's, which had an LP record salesman who recommended obscure Rock that was really good, if I had any money.

A parking lot and smoke shop replaced the stores and Hartford's first skyscraper, when, in the late 80's, Society for Savings Execs wanted to build their own skyscraper and failed.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Loved HoJo's as a kid. I remember the Woolworths having a lunch counter and going there as well with my Dad a number of times.

Dove

Son of Wayne. Friend of Tony.
There was a Bess Eaton in Vernon. Became Tim Horton's. Their coffee cups with the religious messages was a real turnoff.

Now remembering Merle's Record Rack

As the title states, that was a quintessential aspect of my Saturdays growing up in New England. In the fall I got a chocolate doughnut before soccer games, in the winter, before basketball games and in the spring, before baseball games. If it was an especially early game or I was carpooling with a friend, my mom would always come to get me after the game, a bag with a few doughnuts in hand. I heard they shut down for a number of years, at least all the locations in CT, only to reopen in Rhode Island a few years later.

Other places, while not just New England only, that I still remember, were Carvel ice cream (I think with a head quarters in CT, but also NY) and FuncoLand. Carvel was the go to place my baseball coach would take the team after a hard fought win in late Spring or early Summer. I remember collecting little plastic baseball caps with the logo of each team over the course of several years from carvel. There was another place, the name escapes my mind, that was turned from a barn into an ice cream place in SE CT. And, if I was well behaved as a kid and did my chores, Funcoland was always a cool trek (had to be in New London) where I would spend too much of my hard earned $$. Always seeming to coinside with that awful, boring trip to A and P either before or after.

There were a few local places, specific to Old Lyme that remain open to this day which blows my mind, in a rapidly changing world it is cool to feel you can always go home and see some of the same stuff you saw as a kid 25+ years ago.

Any way, what, in your opinion, are some places from your childhood that are worthy of representing New England (and are they still around or not?).
i think the place you are talking about, the barn into ice cream place, is Micheal's dairy.. its in New London on mitchell college campus. SE CT had bess eatons all over the place.. when i was going to Avery Point, i used to go the one across the street from EB. most of the the bess eatons got turned to tim horton's, and now there are all closed, except for one that is in dowtown westerly ri.. really loved there iced coffees

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Definitely remember and used to eat at a Bess Eaton in Vernon/Rockville. Think there was one on Rte 83 near Main St. Have no memory of religious writings.

Also remember Caldor's stores in multiple locations.

Can't remember either of these business names but remember their radio ads.

All the beer, wine and sangria you drink. Was that Beef Steak Charlies?

Ad for 30 seconds from blah blah blah street in Hartford. Maybe it was for a jeweler??

We had a Bess Eaton and a Tim Hortons in Groton and Mystic...never went to either of them. We did frequent Caldor and Bradlees....and then there was Pizza Pipes and Pandemonium where they had a gigantic pipe organ where the organist would take requests. He played a killer “Chariots of Fire”

Bess Eaten wow that's a throwback. Pretty good donuts there. But if I was in Meriden I was going to Quality Bakeshop even in its later years.

@mauconnfan you remember Quality Bakeshop?
Quality was the best CT great call. Corner of Main and Swain the best danish, coffee cakes. When I was younger it was basically an every Sunday stop after catachism at St Rose to grab something for after the eye of the round. Loved it.

Burger Chef bought by Hardees
Clicquot Club sodas bought by Cott
Cott sodas (Its Cott to be good! )
State Line Potato Chips (still being made?)

Those in se Ct and Westerly area may remember Gulino's Bakery. Always a Sunday stop.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
We had a Bess Eaton in Stamford on High Ridge Rd. in Bull's Head. Much better than DD. And the Carvel on the Post Rd. in Darien right next to the extinct Old McDonald's Farm kid's park (now a corporate office park) was a regular Sunday treat.

There was a conversation this week on the Pittsburgh reddit from a New England transplant asking about popovers. The natives had never heard of such a thing. So a bunch of us posted recipes for them. And they're all over it. When I think about quintessential CT food in Ffld Cty, that's what I think of - the popovers at whatever the precursor was to the current Long Ridge Tavern (which apparently doesn't offer popovers). Those things were incredible and they kept bringing out new baskets after we'd devour the one at the table (and at no additional charge).

Growing up in Stamford in the 60s/70s pretty much meant Greek-ish pan pizza, put between two cardboard plates and wrapped in a paper bag. That was takeout pizza for much of Springdale and Glenbrook. And we'd get six of the things for our family of five at least once a month. I didn't find Colony until I started to drive in 1974. So I guess in addition to popovers, those smallish pan pizzas, Colony bar pies and probably split hot dogs grilled in butter are the main tastes I recall from my CT youth.