OT: Does anyone here do computer coding or computer programming? | The Boneyard

OT: Does anyone here do computer coding or computer programming?

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Looking to learn and get into the field full-time or for a side hustle. Any websites, videos, software, tips & tricks, etc that you recommend?

Thanks

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score

This may have been the easiest google of all time...

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Code Academy in polycom’s post above is a pretty good site, I used to play around on there often as a “getting started” point.

Seconded.

I’m on code academy constantly.

OP what coding languages you thinking of?

Reaction Score
I used to love coding it's the compiling errors found and subsequent corrections I lost patience with.

May also take a peek at those sites.

Last edited:

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score

This may have been the easiest google of all time...
Thanks. Didn’t know what a google was

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Udemy.com also has some good courses usually about $10 for a course. Pluralsight is another one that is recommended. We have it at work, I need to take advantage of it more.

Reaction Score
My wife is a freelance web developer and learned everything through skillcrush.com. It’s very woman-oriented, but it did a great job teaching her what she needed to know to be successful. She also has an engineering degree so that helped.

Reaction Score
Like Temery put in, Codecademy is really straight forward. Id recommend that if youre beginning.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Seconded.

I’m on code academy constantly.

OP what coding languages you thinking of?
Brand new to all this. I’m using Python and Pycharm as the text editor. I found freecodecamp.org on YouTube and been watching one of their videos so far

Reaction Score
Looking to learn and get into the field full-time or for a side hustle. Any websites, videos, software, tips & tricks, etc that you recommend?

Thanks
This is a life move, not a side hustle, unless you’re only interested in doing stuff for free. Without a passion you’ll never be good enough to get paid for your work.

Not saying that to dissuade you. I first programmed in 1971, and did it sporadically as part of my jobs until last year. I knew I didn’t love doing it enough to be superior. Companies only want superior.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
This is a life move, not a side hustle, unless you’re only interested in doing stuff for free. Without a passion you’ll never be good enough to get paid for your work.

Not saying that to dissuade you. I first programmed in 1971, and did it sporadically as part of my jobs until last year. I knew I didn’t love doing it enough to be superior. Companies only want superior.
No, I understand what you're saying. I would like it to be a career but if it turns into freelancing than that's a plus on top of my current job. I would also wait to see if any openings popup at my current job for a need in programming/coding

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
Harvard CS50 is free and a good starting point.

mrl2016

better late than never
Reaction Score
MIT opencourseware has recorded lectures and assignments from all the courses in their CS department but they are a little more involved.

I’d probably dip your toes in on coursera first. I found it an excellent place to start. Specifically the python data structures course provides a good foundation to build off of

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score

This is a solid take and I totally agree with it. I've been doing IT for 30 years and have made a nice living from it, but the world has changed since I did some Pascal and REXX coding starting my career.

You aren't going to take some online coding classes and find side jobs or an easy way to a full time job. Most companies of all sizes use COTS (Commercial Off The Shelf) applications like Word, Adobe or Quickbooks. They aren't looking to create specialized apps for the most part. The big companies like Google or Facebook have hoards of extremely talented programmers that have been coding for years and probably have some kind of degree in coding. They are in fact exceptional at their craft.

If you're looking to get into IT today, get certified in Security, Cloud Services, Virtualization or Containers. That's the future.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
This is a solid take and I totally agree with it. I've been doing IT for 30 years and have made a nice living from it, but the world has changed since I did some Pascal and REXX coding starting my career.

You aren't going to take some online coding classes and find side jobs or an easy way to a full time job. Most companies of all sizes use COTS (Commercial Off The Shelf) applications like Word, Adobe or Quickbooks. They aren't looking to create specialized apps for the most part. The big companies like Google or Facebook have hoards of extremely talented programmers that have been coding for years and probably have some kind of degree in coding. They are in fact exceptional at their craft.

If you're looking to get into IT today, get certified in Security, Cloud Services, Virtualization or Containers. That's the future.

So I’m certified in IT security and that’s my bread and butter. CCNA, CIISP, sec+, ( lol my first but kick in door)

But being an sql db programmer ( and believe it or not still.... ) writing VBA has kept me in business at a medium business.

Security is future but mining data will NEVER go away

Reaction Score
Another SQL developer here. Pretty easy to pick up, not sure I would call it coding though. I'm looking to gain some skills in another it space myself. Security and cloud are definitely where it's at. But yea for the time being many companies have tons of said packed and seed reports that they depend on. It keeps bringing the money in so I'm good. Azure and aws are things I need to get up on in the next year or so.

Reaction Score
Coursera (free and paid classes)
EdX (free and paid classes)
W3Schools is a great tool for lots of languages (free, may have some paid)

I got my start in coding from a HTML book from B&N. Sometimes the old fashioned way still works but you have to find the right publication for your needs.

You may find some cheap online classes from continuing ed departments somewhere. I took SQL and JAVA at Northeastern online and loved the classes.

Reaction Score

Thanks

We're hiring (after corona quarantine ends). We take people with no coding experience and teach them SQL (a database language). The pay sucks at first but you move up fast. you can PM me for more info if you're interested.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Tuition is free @ Youtube University Brutha

Literally everything in the world is on Youtube
. Thanks. I didn’t know about Google before this thread and now I learned about YouTube. Thanks

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom