Status
Not open for further replies.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score

CCinCT

Poster
Reaction Score
A few years ago, the UCONN women were "singing" autographs at an event. In other local developments, police were chasing a white Camera (Camaro ?) down I84 according to the Courant.

Some of the captions on all local channels on TV are also quite a hoot. I believe I even saw a major miscue on one of the major news channels.

My all time favorite though was Hena (?) Daniels on Channel 3 stating that the "animules" (no lie !) had been rescued from a fire in Terryville.

Reaction Score
Our friend John Altavilla's recent story

http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn...onn-notre-dame-women-1208-20141207-story.html

included his quoting Muffet McGraw as saying, "We looked like a dear in the headlights."

Really?
It's a daily occurrence that the Courant has either a word misspelled or a sentence so poorly structured that you need to read it several times to try and figure out what the writer is attempting to say. It's not just lack of proof reading, it's the writers themselves. In Jeff Jacobs column today there's a sentence where he says "there were four sports available for five entities" when he meant four 'spots'....ugh!

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
I write for a living.
Many of my clients are younger people lacking basic English-language skills.
Sometimes I think I'll be able to work forever because there are fewer skilled writers.
Other times I see myself struggling to sell my services because the illiterate generation doesn't care.
Then I wonder if I use too few commas.

T

TroyHouse66

<<...John Altavilla's recent story... included his quoting Muffet McGraw as saying, "We looked like a dear in the headlights.">>
It may not be a mistake or a mis-quote.
Perhaps Muffy, having eaten a portion of humble pie recently, has had a change of attitude. If the "we" she refers to is UConn, not the Dames, she may be trying to endear herself to Geno.

I would just Tuck this one instance aside & see if MM is a bit more Gabby when we see them again. They will have Mo' than enough to handle in March. Let her Stew on that a bit longer... What the Ek? Let 'em Nurse their wounds for a while. Don't Stoke them up. 'K?
Sani days are here again!!

Reaction Score
<<...John Altavilla's recent story... included his quoting Muffet McGraw as saying, "We looked like a dear in the headlights.">>
It may not be a mistake or a mis-quote.
Perhaps Muffy, having eaten a portion of humble pie recently, has had a change of attitude. If the "we" she refers to is UConn, not the Dames, she may be trying to endear herself to Geno.

I would just Tuck this one instance aside & see if MM is a bit more Gabby when we see them again. They will have Mo' than enough to handle in March. Let her Stew on that a bit longer... What the Ek? Let 'em Nurse their wounds for a while. Don't Stoke them up. 'K?
Sani days are here again!!
Great stuff Troy. Very well done. You put my posts to shame! :D

Reaction Score
Even the AAC press releases are not immune to poor editing/proof reading. Did you notice this in the release just issued on Morgan as player of the week?:

The Huskies are in the midst of a 13-day before for final exams before returning to the court on Friday, Dec. 19 when they host DePaul at the Webster Bank Arena in Bridgeport, Conn. Tip-off is set for 7 p.m.

It's unreal.......:eek:

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Are not JA and his counterparts now considered "bloggers" - They get paid, but have to self edit I am sure.

It's a shame that the quality and reputation of a paper is sacrificed for the cost of a decent editor.

I need a job...I could easily do that job...ask anyone....

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
It's a shame that the quality and reputation of a paper is sacrificed for the cost of a decent editor.

Again, the cost of a decent editor would have to be supported by the pay of the public. And the public is not willing to pay for news.

I've posted this before, but I'll do so again, just to thrust some hours and dollars into the discussion. I recently wrote six somewhat lengthy (1200-1500 words) articles on the inductees to the WBHOF. Here's how I spent my time:

6 hours: Research
6 hours: Setting up and conducting the interviews
12 hours: Transcribing the interviews. Because I didn't have the time to indulge in transcribing, I paid folks to do it - about $65 an interview.
30 hours: Writing. I'm not an outrageously fast writer, but it does take time to read the transcripts, digest, research missing areas, draft and shape and self-edit a piece.

Total hours spent if I didn't indulge in an outside transcriber: 54

So, what do you think a fair fee should be?

Reaction Score
Again, the cost of a decent editor would have to be supported by the pay of the public. And the public is not willing to pay for news.

I've posted this before, but I'll do so again, just to thrust some hours and dollars into the discussion. I recently wrote six somewhat lengthy (1200-1500 words) articles on the inductees to the WBHOF. Here's how I spent my time:

12 hours: Transcribing the interviews. Because I didn't have the time to indulge in transcribing, I paid folks to do it - about $65 an interview.
30 hours: Writing. I'm not an outrageously fast writer, but it does take time to read the transcripts, digest, research missing areas, draft and shape and self-edit a piece.

I've been doing the writing thing for the better part of 40 years, almost always for employers and rarely freelance, so my perspective is a little different.However, I run a department that uses freelance talent sometimes. It sounds cruel to say, but in many cases, the amount of time you spend is not what counts (unless it's a big investigative project or something like that, which is different). In a fair world, you should get $500+ apiece. That's more than my educational institution would pay, and I suspect it is more than you're getting. But if life were fair, you would be getting that kind of money.

One other thing that occurs to me. This concept of self-editing is sort of bogus. Every professional writer edits his/her stuff, but you always need a set of fresh eyes. Otherwise, there are stupidities like the deer-dear problem when a writer experiences a brain fart. Most good professional writers want the services of a good editor, because the editor saves the writer from himself.

Reaction Score
Just to add one more thing in light of the previous poster who said $7-8K. $500 apiece, given your hours, amounts to $55 an hour. In the world f freelance, that's pretty good if you can consistently bill at that rate. when I retire in 18 months, I'll be looking to do freelance writing, and I would gladly take that rate if I could get it.

Reaction Score

TJI, I see where you are headed with this and really have no idea what a fair fee would be? But, with that said, I'd consider that having the spelling and wording correct/accurate to be something that one wouldn't sacrifice and build having that into the overall cost? I don't think that is something I'd do without as it reflects poorly on the overall piece. JMO.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score

Not disagreeing with you. In fact, I face some problems as a musician. Most folks think that I should do what I do for free.

My reply is that if my schooling was free, and if my rent, utilities and food were free, we could have a discussion. Otherwise, I quote my usual fee.

Reaction Score
Cause and effect. Can't give bad grades cuase it hurts their tender feelings. How else did anyone else think it was going to end up.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score

O Fortuna
velut luna
statu variabilis,
semper crescis
aut decrescis;
vita detestabilis
nunc obdurat
et tunc curat
ludo mentis aciem,
egestatem,
potestatem
dissolvit ut glaciem.

Sors immanis
et inanis,
rota tu volubilis,
status malus,
vana salus
semper dissolubilis,
obumbrata
et velata
michi quoque niteris;
nunc per ludum
dorsum nudum
fero tui sceleris.

Sors salutis
et virtutis
michi nunc contraria,
est affectus
et defectus
semper inangaria.
Hac in hora
sine mora
corde pulsum tangite;
quod per sortem
sternit fortem,
mecum omnes plangite!

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
Rady, I can hear the chorus singing as I read the verses. An immendse improvement from Muzak carols. THANK YOU!!! (and I will put it on my CD player when I get home tonight as well....)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom