Dobbs to Temple | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Dobbs to Temple

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Hey, you might be offended by this, but, it's the truth.

IMO it's garbage. Alex Thomas is graduating from Yale, Keith Pelatowski graduated from Yale, John Cristowski graduated from Yale, James Lane from Trinity, Sharkey from Brown, Glenn Antrum from UCONN, Romando Stallings San Diego State, Sandy Osiecki from Arizona State.

Pick any high school in this state and track their athletes that were sent to college and i'm sure you can find a few that were not successful. This argument is rediculous.

So now we are blaming Luke Richmond for not getting along with Edsall? Alot of that might be on Edsall. Edsall seems to enter a new program the way Patton entered Germany.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
What sucks is don't we have Temple on our future schedule? Why do I have the feeling the kid will probably torch us sometime.

Reaction Score
IMO it's garbage. Alex Thomas is graduating from Yale, Keith Pelatowski graduated from Yale, John Cristowski graduated from Yale, James Lane from Trinity, Sharkey from Brown, Glenn Antrum from UCONN, Romando Stallings San Diego State, Sandy Osiecki from Arizona State.

Pick any high school in this state and track their athletes that were sent to college and i'm sure you can find a few that were not successful. This argument is rediculous.

So now we are blaming Luke Richmond for not getting along with Edsall? Alot of that might be on Edsall. Edsall seems to enter a new program the way Patton entered Germany.
The argument is getting a bit silly...I mean Glenn Antrum? I'm not knocking him because he was a nice reciever, but I think we can safely say that it has been a while since Glenn Antrum played at UCONN...But the fact remains that the most recent Ansonia kids UCONN has landed or tried to land haven't worked out. I would guess that like a lot of smaller urban high schools in the state, there are excellent opportunities if you take advantage of them. But probably moreso than in the wealthier suburban schools, it probably requires a bit more effort to take advantage of those opportunities. Not every kid at Ansonia, or Middletown or New Britain or any of a number of smaller urban schools is motivated (or pushed by mommy & daddy) to be in the college track or the advanced placement track which is another issue. So it doesn't surprize me that Ansonia would produce kids who went to Trinity and Yale and Brown. But it also doesn't surprize me that they have kids who aren't prepared for the rigors of college academics, especially at a higer end school.

Reaction Score
No one here doesn't wish Montrell well. And no one here is knocking everyone who has ever graduated from Ansonia High School, athlete or not. But that having been said, add Dobbs to the Bus and Tinney and you can go back as far as you want, but it would be naive to believe UConn fans won't be concerned about recruiting Ansonia. Why shouldn't we be? Because it offends you?

epark88 said: "Ansonia High, fairly or unfairly, is starting to develop a bad academic reputation. This in no way is a negative reflection on Mr. Dobbs individually, but the track record of kids coming out of that school is checkered, to be kind."

Sounds like a blanket statement to me.

Reaction Score
Big Time College Football + Temple = Witness Protection. Great for Dobbs if he's serious about using football as a means to get a quality education. If his intention was to play D1 football at the highest level I'm guessing he's not well versed in the BCS/D1 landscape as it exists. Temple, to my knowledge, hasn't been mentioned as a possible addition to the ACC, Big 12, B1G, SEC or PAC12. So let's hope it's ALL about football as a means to an education end.

No Temple is not part of the BCS landscape or even on par with some of the top BIg East programs, neither is UConn right now. However, they get TV exposure, they've won bowl games, and they send kids to the NFL. That program is on the rise and may be just as good if not better then UConn at this point.

epark88

Throat's all better now, thanks for asking...
Reaction Score
Apparently, I left out an important qualifier with my statement: 'a bad reputation amongst UConn football followers'. Other than that I stand firmly behind what I said.

Again, I wish Montrell all the success in the world - except against UConn. I've always followed Temple because I'm from Philly and I almost went there instead of UConn, so I will definitely keep tabs on the young man...

Reaction Score

Considering the most recent players from Ansonia who UConn has been involved with, it's not garbage.
Also, the other Ansonia players listed either were D-1AA, were from such a long time ago, or never finished up their career's with whomever they chose to play for.
Richmond was listed by that Ansonia supporter, as an Ansonia example. Whether he did, or didn't get along with Edsall, he underperformed and didn't finish. That's a fact.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Haven't heard any other mention about anyone else though? Although Williams came out of no where. I wonder if a Juco comes in or another freshman a little under the radar?

Williams came out of nowhere for us fans but had an offer last year and needed to prep a half year to qualify. So while he was a surprise to us he wasn't to the coaching staff.

Reaction Score
Forget about Ansonia High kids - I'm seriously concerned at the level of education some of you guys got at your high schools back in the day.

Using three examples over several years to damn an entire school? I'm not sure if your math teacher or science teacher was the one to let you down, but you should ask for an apology.

Reaction Score
Considering the most recent players from Ansonia who UConn has been involved with, it's not garbage.
Also, the other Ansonia players listed either were D-1AA, were from such a long time ago, or never finished up their career's with whomever they chose to play for.
Richmond was listed by that Ansonia supporter, as an Ansonia example. Whether he did, or didn't get along with Edsall, he underperformed and didn't finish. That's a fact.

Luke chose to forego his final year of eligibility, but he graduated.

Reaction Score
Apparently, I left out an important qualifier with my statement: 'a bad reputation amongst UConn football followers'. Other than that I stand firmly behind what I said.

Again, I wish Montrell all the success in the world - except against UConn. I've always followed Temple because I'm from Philly and I almost went there instead of UConn, so I will definitely keep tabs on the young man...

How about "amongst some UConn followers...". I'm a UConn fan and I certainly don't subscribe to the notion that there is an academic problem across the board with Ansonia. Take each case on its own merit. These are three isolated cases each with their own particular set of circumstances, nothing more.

Reaction Score
Side note, I'm glad that Montrell landed on his feet. Temple feels like one of the best non-BCS landing places nearby. I feel a lot better for him there, as opposed to Marshall.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom