Do you think that the teams...... | The Boneyard

Do you think that the teams......

Status
Not open for further replies.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Big games left: OSU, Maryland, and South Carolina.

I think MD is the most difficult obstacle left. They play unorthodox and they have three studs who are really quick. OSU is way to one dimensional. SC has strong posts but they are pretty slow. Wilson is elite but can be frustrated and their guards cant give enough 3 pt protection. Besides, we have them psyched out.

Actually, I am looking at the AAC USF team as an interesting game. They have some really good 3pt shooters.
Should be fun. Still, I think we will be undefeated unless foul trouble knocks us out of a game

Reaction Score
I'd certainly be worried if I was them. We're not out of the woods yet by any means: MD is lurking and Frese has probably been salivating over the thought of playing UConn without Stewie / Tuck / Mo for a solid year now. They could give us some serious trouble as I believe, in terms of grit and passion, they're the only team that could potentially match us as this point in the season. OSU... I'm concerned, but not extremely concerned. They're a very one dimensional team and provided UConn runs their own pace, I think the treat is neutralized pretty easily. I'll hold out judgment on SC for the next couple of games to see how they respond to that loss against Duke - I wouldn't count them out, though. Dawn is working with some talent, and they're likely going to come to Storrs hungry for the big marquee win of their season.

All in all though, I'd be worried. I wouldn't doubt if a lot of them thought that they'd all get a piece of the pie this year, taking their turns running the team into the ground. 5 ranked teams down now, and the team has proven to be tougher than ever. I'd be shaking!

Reaction Score
It looks like Geno has his 7 go to players for the push to .F. If they win the N.C. they will be the Magnificent Seven. The new cast will be Nurse (Brynner) Williams (Bronson) - KLS (Coburn) - Collier (McQueen) - Chong (Vaughn) - Butler (Dexter) - Dangerfield (Buchholz).

Reaction Score
Agree Maryland is the toughest now, standing in the way of a new all-time record of 90+ games. I like our chances. GO HUSKIES

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
It looks like Geno has his 7 go to players for the push to .F. If they win the N.C. they will be the Magnificent Seven. The new cast will be Nurse (Brynner) Williams (Bronson) - KLS (Coburn) - Collier (McQueen) - Chong (Vaughn) - Butler (Dexter) - Dangerfield (Buchholz).
Yes, but I believe that Butler is a situational player. She may not be used much against certain teams. When this team is running and looking good, she seems to bog down the play. When she entered the game tonight, the team was ahead; 19-12. When she exited, they were losing 32-30. Geno saw this; she did not play in the 2nd half......on the other hand, Uconn may not have beaten Texas without her.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Don't care about the regular season. Care about the post-season.
ThisJustin-no disrespect but these games do matter as they build character, confidence and continue the Aura of what UConn is and who THIS group of young woman are. As my mother used to say-it's not the destination, it's the journey and with this young group-I am loving it,,,

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I'll take coach's tack - Kansas State is going to be really tough, and I'm not sure we can win if we turn the ball over like we did at ND and can't hit the proverbial barn with a three point shot! Next game is always the toughest.

Reaction Score
that scheduled UConn because the Big 3 graduated are now worried that their "win" may not happen now?

You have to believe that over the last two seasons, the conventional wisdom was that something remarkable had to happen for someone other than Connecticut to walk away with the trophy. This year that was supposed to change. It's possible even the coach is shocked that nothing has changed as double digit wins over the top competition continue.

I wouldn't necessarily think that teams scheduled post-Trinity UConn to give them their comeuppance, but I think they expected to compete again. The win at ND has to sound a shill note. How are you going to beat these guys in tournament pressure when you can't challenge them on your SRO home court in December?

Good for interest in the conference though and for ESPN. Not bad for the sport, other teams still gotta get better, UConn hasn't dropped. ND and Baylor both look capable, maybe not this year though.

Reaction Score
that scheduled UConn because the Big 3 graduated are now worried that their "win" may not happen now?
Well, in a word, yes. I recall hearing stories before the season started to the effect that, with the top three WNBA draft picks from 2016 now out of the picture, this was "the year" to "get" UConn, since if you look at our upcoming recruiting classes, as one person put it in the media, if you don't beat them this year, it may be a while before you do.

Yeah, one or two coaches who bought into that theory and suddenly expressed interest in playing us may be rethinking that decision. and remember, those are usually two-year agreements -- we play one at their place, they come to play one at our place.

Reaction Score
I think MD is the most difficult obstacle left. They play unorthodox and they have three studs who are really quick. OSU is way to one dimensional. SC has strong posts but they are pretty slow. Wilson is elite but can be frustrated and their guards cant give enough 3 pt protection. Besides, we have them psyched out.

Actually, I am looking at the AAC USF team as an interesting game. They have some really good 3pt shooters.
Should be fun. Still, I think we will be undefeated unless foul trouble knocks us out of a game
Agree, MD is our biggest challenge left. Gave us a heart stopper last year with our big 3.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Yes, but I believe that Butler is a situational player. She may not be used much against certain teams. When this team is running and looking good, she seems to bog down the play. When she entered the game tonight, the team was ahead; 19-12. When she exited, they were losing 32-30. Geno saw this; she did not play in the 2nd half.on the other hand, Uconn may not have beaten Texas without her.

As she was in other games, Natalie was brought in to save the situation until the calvary arrives.

In that, she was somewhat less effective than she had been in past games, but still did well enough.
The game did not get out of hand.

Napheesa is integral to the UConn offense, perhaps the essence of it, so her temporary absence required moments of patience until her return.

Nat did fine...at least well enough.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
As she was in other games, Natalie was brought in to save the situation until the calvary arrives.

In that, she was somewhat less effective than she had been in past games, but still did well enough.
The game did not get out of hand.

Napheesa is integral to the UConn offense, perhaps the essence of it, so her temporary absence required moments of patience until her return.

Nat did fine...at least well enough.

While consistency is preferred, it is not always attainable. Some players (the great ones) are for the most part able to perform at a high level on a consistent basis. Those players stick out in a crowd like a six-footer at a "little person's" convention. Greatness does not need to boast or brag. It's easily recognized when it appears. Collier, Williams and Samuelson are emerging as this team's core players. I'm not slighting Nurse here. She is the leader of the pack, and an integral part of the team, and it's overall success. I highlight these 3 because they have been consistent over the first 8 games. Other players have had exceptional games too, but not consistently.

Geno knows for certain who must be on the floor, and who he can count on in critical situations. Collier proved her value when she went to the bench, and the flow of the game changed. Lou has completely changed her game and approach since coming in to the program. She much more versatile now, and not just a spot up shooter. UConn does not win this game without Gabby, so nothing need be said about her. She did everything last night except sell concessions in the stands. I said in another post that the Notre Dame game would be the acid test. The biggest game of the year (so far).

Yes, other games loom large also, but not like THIS one. Like the Rose Bowl in football, THIS one is the granddaddy of the all. Notre Dame is on UConn's OOC schedule every year. Anyone who doubted this team's potential has been proven wrong, including me. I said that this team would not go undefeated this year. After last night's performance, I'm not so sure now. That was a MAJOR hurdle that UConn cleared last night. WCBB has taken notice. UConn is slowly running out of teams they were suppose to lose to.

Don't think the remaining teams on their schedule have not taken note. They were all watching last night. Notre Dame v. UConn is a game you want to see, not hear/read about. The Notre Dame faithful left the arena last night shaking their collective heads in wonderment and disbelief, not sure they saw what just happened. That "unfinished business" remains unfinished. Last night was the best chance they'll have for a victory over UConn in the near future. The UConn program is reloading with blue chip talent for next year and beyond to the point of embarrassment.

We know, and recognize the fact that any team on any given night can lose. There were doubters in THIS forum that profanely doubted UConn's chances of victory against the Irish, and said so.
After last night, all the questions about THIS team's potential have been answered. If you can go into one of the loudest/raucous (most anti-UConn) arenas in the country, and play the #1 ranked team that has a long home winning streak going, and emerge victorious, what's left to prove? What do they still need to prove to you? All the doubting Thomases, and folks from Missouri left the building convinced. This year's UConn team is for real. Believe it. :cool:

UConn will play their games as they are scheduled, one at a time. Geno won't have it any other way. Sine the season began, Notre Dame has always been the elephant in the room. They were the one game that everyone pointed to as being THE game. That game would define and expose the real UConn team for 2017-2018. Game, set, match. No more guessing or wondering now. The shroud has been removed. We know see this team for who it really is.

The outside world has taken note. WCBB looked on last night to see the two best teams in Division one go head to head. They saw UConn emerge a bit bloodied, but victorious and unbowed.
The undisputed #1 team in the country left the building last night for their return trip home. Job well done. Are there any doubters now as to who the best team in the country is? If so, stand and be recognized.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom