Do you Remember? | The Boneyard

Do you Remember?

Reaction Score
Lindsey Hunter when led Jackson State to a victory over a team with Donyell Marshall and Scott Burrell(two pros) with a 39 point barrage. One thing I noticed is that Calhoun mentioned in the second article below before the game that he was "scary" which is a similar terminology that Hurley used.

Hartford, Connecticut Breaking News, Sports & Entertainment - Hartford Courant -

or in 2012 a team with Shabazz, Drummond, Boatright, Deandre Daniels, Giffey, Oriakhi, and Lamb going 20-14...getting embarrassed in the first round by Iowa St.

Hurley is a really good coach...and has the potential to be great. His trajectory is pretty solid. Calhoun coached 17 years at Northeastern before taking over Uconn. Took him over 25 years of coaching to win a title.

A lot of great coaches spend a lot of time as assistants under great college coaches....or they take a lot of time to learn a lot on their own as a head coach. Danny's greatest weakness is his in-game coaching. That takes years of experience to develop. You have to go through situations to feel them. (not everyone is Brad Stevens)

Hurley is in his 12th year as a college head coach, and 4th at UCONN. He thankfully does not have to build from scratch, so he get some talent these next couple of years to keep the program at a competitive level as he goes through these growing pains.

Next year will be better...I think we may potentially drop off the year after that...but in about 3 - 5 years, if we stick with Hurley, we can be in the same category as Villanova. Continuity is important.

Btw...I hated losing last night. I felt a little better when Kentucky lost...but man its a bummer...the life of a long-time fan. I started watching when I was 6...in the 9-19 season.

Reaction Score
Or in 3-5 years we are Indiana Or Georgetown. Remember when they were somebody.

Reaction Score
Calhoun coached 17 years at Northeastern before taking over Uconn. Took him over 25 years of coaching to win a title.

A lot of great coaches spend a lot of time as assistants under great college coaches....or they take a lot of time to learn a lot on their own as a head coach. Danny's greatest weakness is his in-game coaching. That takes years of experience to develop. You have to go through situations to feel them. (not everyone is Brad Stevens)
Speaking of Calhoun, some games it only took him 25 seconds to know when to call a timeout. If Hurley doesn't know by now when one is needed, he's alarmingly obtuse. 3 million dollars can buy you alot, excluding common sense, apparently.

Reaction Score
Or in 3-5 years we are Indiana Or Georgetown. Remember when they were somebody.
This is true....it doesnt mean that better results need to happen in the next couple of years, but I think having a longer range mentality is helpful to not having knee-jerk reactions

Reaction Score
Speaking of Calhoun, some games it only took him 25 seconds to know when to call a timeout. If Hurley doesn't know by now when one is needed, he's alarmingly obtuse. 3 million dollars can buy you alot, excluding common sense, apparently.
John Wooden rarely called timeouts. Of course his talent level was high, but there is some wisdom in allowing the players to wrestle with the moment themselves. A quick timeout can be effective. Not calling a timeout can be effective in teaching. I would agree that there are times that if it were me coaching, I would have called a T. There is never a one size fits all approach to these things.

Reaction Score
Definitely remember those —but I can’t remember a time when uconn lost in the Thursday first day -first round —I don’t think it’s ever happened -feel super deflated today- gorgeous day , usually love this Friday first round day , but man tough one last night—- just wanted to win one game and get to Saturday. - that New Mexico st team is awful aside from Allen. Unacceptable loss. plus I’m a Green Bay fan —throw in the whole Davante Adams news and yesterday was rough —-LOL

Reaction Score
Definitely remember those —but I can’t remember a time when uconn lost in the Thursday first day -first round —I don’t think it’s ever happened -feel super deflated today- gorgeous day , usually love this Friday first round day , but man tough one last night—- just wanted to win one game and get to Saturday. - that New Mexico st team is awful aside from Allen. Unacceptable loss. plus I’m a Green Bay fan —throw in the whole Davante Adams news and yesterday was rough —-LOL
2012 was a 1st round loss...and they looked terrible, with arguably one of the most talented Husky teams. This was tough to stomach since they really are a better team than New Mexico State. Last year was different because I actually thought Maryland was the better team, and not just because they won.

Reaction Score
Lindsey Hunter when led Jackson State to a victory over a team with Donyell Marshall and Scott Burrell(two pros) with a 39 point barrage. One thing I noticed is that Calhoun mentioned in the second article below before the game that he was "scary" which is a similar terminology that Hurley used.

Hartford, Connecticut Breaking News, Sports & Entertainment - Hartford Courant -

or in 2012 a team with Shabazz, Drummond, Boatright, Deandre Daniels, Giffey, Oriakhi, and Lamb going 20-14...getting embarrassed in the first round by Iowa St.

Hurley is a really good coach...and has the potential to be great. His trajectory is pretty solid. Calhoun coached 17 years at Northeastern before taking over Uconn. Took him over 25 years of coaching to win a title.

Hurley is in his 12th year as a college head coach, and 4th at UCONN. He thankfully does not have to build from scratch, so he get some talent these next couple of years to keep the program at a competitive level as he goes through these growing pains.

Next year will be better...I think we may potentially drop off the year after that...but in about 3 - 5 years, if we stick with Hurley, we can be in the same category as Villanova. Continuity is important.

Btw...I hated losing last night. I felt a little better when Kentucky lost...but man its a bummer...the life of a long-time fan. I started watching when I was 6...in the 9-19 season.
I was thinking about that game as well. Two somewhat equal teams, but the best player was on the other team.

Reaction Score
Hurley is a really good coach..
People keep saying this. Where is the proof? He didn't coach half the game in his biggest career win. There is no offense. The roster construction is horrible. How is he a good coach?

Reaction Score
The thing is, having another calhoun type coach may never happen again...but I do think Hurley is making great strides to become a great coach....remember Calhoun's average record in his first 12 years as a coach was 16-10

Reaction Score
Was Maryland a Friday game?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jamie Taco

Top Bottom