Do we want Football to be a Top Ten Program? | The Boneyard

Do we want Football to be a Top Ten Program?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I know some of this has already been covered but here are my thoughts.

First UCONN and the state of Connecticut must decide if they want to be a Top Ten football program and compete equally with Michigan, Alabama, Oklahoma etc. If they do then they have to commit to the hard part of making the needed financial comittment in a tough economy. The marketing and lobbying efforts have to be intense and as others have suggested go to Fairfield County where the money is and market the brand. The endowment has to be increased Watch the recent 60 Minutes piece on Michigan and Alabama which shows how it is done. In a down economy where University funds are being cut private investment will be key. Big Time athletics do attract students but they also could attract businesses that want to be involved with the brand. So the lobbying effort could start with UCONN Football is good for business and state pride. Additionally, our venues have to be filled. Empty seats are bad business and are poor for TV visuals. If needed give away tickets on game day to ensure full houses.

Second a new coach has to be hired and admit that UCONN will be a stepping stone school(we know he'll leave in 2 or 3 years) for the time being. The coach should be a coordinator from one of the big conferences and understand how the current big time game is played and recruit players from football heavy states. We may not be getting the top recruits from these areas but the ones we do get still will still be better than from this area.

Feel free to add or criticize.

Reaction Score
I agree with most of your points. If you want to make money you got to spend money. I think we should start scheduling more big time opponents. Start scheduling more ACC, Big Ten, and SEC opponents. Start tomorrow winning this game and get back to bowling! I think we start winning again then attendance will go up and more companies will get behind UCONN brand.

Reaction Score
Has nothing to do w/ Conference Realignment... Needs to move to UConn Football Forum

Not sure I agree (or understand) how you draw the correlation that a 3* player in Texas/Florida/Ohio is necessarily better than a 3* player from CT/MA?

Quantity maybe but not necessarily quality.

Reaction Score
No.
I honestly believe to be a consistent top ten program in college football schools have to cheat. (e.g. Ohio State, Miami, the entire SEC) I don't want that for my school.
I'd be thrilled with a consistent top 30 program that was ranked most years and competed for conference championships. I would gladly sign up for a consistent 8, 9, 10 win season program.
And even that takes a huge commitment.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
At the moment I would settle for top 20 (not a one year finish but rather when they speak of top programs, we get mentioned before they reach #20. At the moment I truly believe we aren't among the top 65-70).

Reaction Score
You can not become a Top Ten program without a Top Ten fanbase. The University can not provide that. It can help, but that can only be provided by fans.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I agree - you have to spend to make money. If the Rent ever expanded, it could lead to a nice development of the area with hotels, restaurants and other entertainment options. I agree with BL too though, it ultimately all starts with us fans.

#1 PA Husky Fan

Diehard Fan of All UConn Sports Teams!
Reaction Score
I agree - you have to spend to make money. If the Rent ever expanded, it could lead to a nice development of the area with hotels, restaurants and other entertainment options. I agree with BL too though, it ultimately all starts with us fans.
The opportunity is there, but I disagree that it starts with the fans. It starts with the football program leadership. They need to establish a vision with defined goals, lay out publicly what is needed accomplish those goals. Then, the fans have something to rally around. I haven't seen the vision or the plan.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Shy of some pretty good success in the 1902's, the only thing Nebraska could claim as a football program when Devaney took over (besides being one of many schools Oklahoma rolled over annually) was a very strong fan following for a mediocre program (somewhat similar to our men's hoops program for the decade plus before JC took over).

Yes, the leadership needs to improve greatly and the school (through marketing/promotion) needs to reach many of the potential fans who have little clue that we do have a substantial football program. Fan support however is what will make or break this program.

Reaction Score
No.
I honestly believe to be a consistent top ten program in college football schools have to cheat. (e.g. Ohio State, Miami, the entire SEC) I don't want that for my school.
I'd be thrilled with a consistent top 30 program that was ranked most years and competed for conference championships. I would gladly sign up for a consistent 8, 9, 10 win season program.
And even that takes a huge commitment.
Do you think Stanford cheats?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member