Do we really aspire to this? | The Boneyard

Do we really aspire to this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Think "the Shenk" is nice? Check this out. What a waste of money. If team facilities get to be nicer than 5 star hotels, the this is not college football anymore. I don't care how much money they bring in, this is ridiculous. Maybe we should be the best division one team, then when the division 4 schools go pro and for profit, we'll be in the top rung of traditional college football. We cannot now nor ever compete with this, and it is questionable to even I, a big time fan whether I ever want college football to be this important. http://www.sportsgrid.com/ncaa-foot...ocker-room-video-tour-100-million-nick-saban/

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
I think you are making a bit of a leap that we want to or even need to be on par with Alabama. I'd be happy just to compete in a so-called power conference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
This is not going to help the NCAA with respect to the various lawsuits nor its amateur/tax exempt status. Non-profits can re-invest any ‘gains’ into reasonable upgrades; but, non-profits organizations (Alabama) should not have facilities equal or greater than professional, taxed organizations (Dallas Cowboys). The IRS may come a calling. The only exceptions are typically religious organizations as the government is typically too scared to ask the hard questions. Of course, down South, Football is a religion.

Reaction Score
I think you are making a bit of a leap that we want to or even need to be on par with Alabama. I'd be happy just to compete in a so-called power conference.

Ok so that I understand. If the big boys are nice enough to invite us into one of their power conferences, we will be content to just be there like the lower tier teams of the power 5. We have no need to ever actually win anything? If you commit to getting into one of these, you would think you'd also commit to being the best and winning it no?

And thats where the real question comes. What is the eventual goal?, and do we here in Connecticut have the desire and resources to get there. In Alabama, that is truly all they have. It is a religion.
I have the Mets, Giants, Rangers, and other hobbies to occupy my thoughts and time. Love my Huskies...but not like they like the "Tide" . There is no "Roll Dogs" greeting here in Stratford.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Yeah... I'm sure that will be different for everyone here. Me, right now, I'm happy to survive. Regardless of where we are, I want us to be consistently in the upper half of whatever conference we are in. Compete for conference championships semi-regularly. Consistently make bowl appearances, with some nicer ones and an occasional BCS mixed in. Rattling off multiple national championships a la Bama... I don't need that to be happy. But that's just me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Ok so that I understand. If the big boys are nice enough to invite us into one of their power conferences, we will be content to just be there like the lower tier teams of the power 5. We have no need to ever actually win anything? If you commit to getting into one of these, you would think you'd also commit to being the best and winning it no?

I understand where you're coming from and the point you're trying to make. I guess the best way to answer this is ask yourself whether or not being a middle of the pack team that makes $20M+ a year from a Power 5 conference affiliation is better than being the best of the rest and make >$3M a year in the AAC. Not only the money, but the exposure for the university to continue to attract top athletes for all sports (including our powerhouse basketball programs) AND top scholars for the academic piece. I know many here don't care about academic reputation at UCONN but a healthy and strong academic reputation only helps the university, its alumni, its business partnerships (ex - GE, Jackson Labs, etc), and its demographic economy (think: better educated graduating into CT's economy).

To answer your question as to what I think: HELL YES, I would much rather be a middle of the road football program in the B1G with a conference title chance once every few years or so than the best program in the AAC. The money and the associated exposure discrepancies are way too large to pass up.

Reaction Score
To answer your question as to what I think: HELL YES, I would much rather be a middle of the road football program in the B1G with a conference title chance once every few years or so than the best program in the AAC. The money and the associated exposure discrepancies are way too large to pass up.

Okay, then rewatch the video, look at the history of the SEC and answer the other question. Do we have the fan support and resource support to compete with the LSUs, Alabamas, Texases of the world who, with new rules and player stipends will go even crazier. Without equalling those efforts, there will be NO chance of winning even a rare conference championship (in football) that you would be happy with. We can't win an arms race with big time southern football. Maybe Syracuse can or BC can.
BWA HAHAHAHA. Just kidding. They will never get a sniff of the AP top 5...EVER

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
I just enjoyed the equipment manager saying "lock-box"... with the southern accent it brings back memories of Al Gore in the SNL debate.

Reaction Score
Someone removed the video.... Prob want to keep the IRS eyes off of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom