Do we like Mike Patrick Yes or No | The Boneyard

Do we like Mike Patrick Yes or No

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
I personally don't care for him but he seems to do a lot of our games. I actually am a big fan of Doris Burke. Interested in Husky Nation's opinion

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Patrick isn't bad if you get him away from Duke. He makes Vitale seem like a dispassionate observer when they used to do Duke games together. Burke has become a droning, unwelcome presence on telecasts.

Reaction Score
Patrick is as bad as it gets - always getting names wrong, constantly interjecting his awful opinions into the game, spewing his horrendous catchphrases nonstop.

One of the worst parts of the Big East going away was not getting to listen to the McDonough-Bilas-Raftery trio anymore. Not far behind that is having to endure Mike Patrick.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
ok he brings nothing to the conversation... but back to the rims, wtf

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
He is the #1 guy on the AAC package so get used to it.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
someone explain to me how thats a foul on brimah? hes under the basket and that kid runs into him on purpose

Reaction Score
If Senhor was the Indiana Jones of mojo last year, Dan Patrick was his Sala.

Reaction Score
I like his voice but the only thing is with him is he messes up a lot likehow he just said Calhoun and it was Hamilton lol. Or a foul and it was a travel lol

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Rocktheworld said:
If Senhor was the Indiana Jones of mojo last year, Dan Patrick was his Sala.

And Allie LaForce was his Marion

Reaction Score
The "Hamilton had to come in and prove he could handle the ball since he didn't do it in high school" comment was just dumb. Seemed like he threw it out there just to strike up a convo with Elmore because that comment came out of his behind, you never even saw him in high school.

Reaction Score
The "Hamilton had to come in and prove he could handle the ball since he didn't do it in high school" comment was just dumb. Seemed like he threw it out there just to strike up a convo with Elmore because that comment came out of his behind, you never even saw him in high school.

It blows my mind how many of these kinds of guys are running around, doing color or analysis and clearly doing no homework. I'd be terrified to go into a game with as little knowledge of the teams as some of these clowns have.

Reaction Score
Patrick isn't bad if you get him away from Duke. He makes Vitale seem like a dispassionate observer when they used to do Duke games together. Burke has become a droning, unwelcome presence on telecasts.

I actually think Burke is one of the best in the business. Yeah, she can be a little talkative at times, but she actually does her homework and knows the game.

As for Mike Patrick, I'm fine with him if it means no Tim Welsh.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
I actually think Burke is one of the best in the business. Yeah, she can be a little talkative at times, but she actually does her homework and knows the game.

I can't stand Tim Welsh and think his dislike for UCONN shows every game he is the color commentary for

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I like Patrick quite a bit more than Welsh, but he does have a habit of saying nonsensical stuff, including getting whatever was just whistled incorrect. I actually like Burke, and Kara Lawson is another announcer who normally does women's games, but I like her when i've listened to her on a men's game...

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score

Agree 100% on both of those points. The abuse Burke gets on twitter would be unconscionable even if she sucked, but she's actually one of the best around. Insightful and enthusiastic.

Reaction Score
Agree 100% on both of those points. The abuse Burke gets on twitter would be unconscionable even if she sucked, but she's actually one of the best around. Insightful and enthusiastic.

Does she really take abuse on twitter? I haven't been on twitter for a while but that's unfortunate, I guess I'm not surprised though.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
Does she really take abuse on twitter? I haven't been on twitter for a while but that's unfortunate, I guess I'm not surprised though.
Any woman in the public eye does. A woman in a "man's job" takes an order of magnitude more.

Reaction Score

She used to do her homework. She stopped doing it last 2 years. She doesn't watch games. Repeatedly against Temple she kept saying it was rare and unusual for Ollie to sit Boat at the 12 minute mark. I remember threads here last year that called out a lot of her claims.

I agree she used to be good, but she is now mailing it in for some reason.

Reaction Score
Kara Lawson is my favorite game announcer after Bilas and Raftery. How a guy from Duke and a woman from Tennessee are two of my three favorites makes me throw up in my mouth a little, but they're both really good. And neither one of them do that Yoda-speak thing that annoys the sh!it out of me. Who knew George Lucas would have such a big impact on sports announcers.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
I actually think that being subjected to Mike Patrick is cruel and unusual punishment for the crime of being in the AAC. In addition to his gaffes, he has a habit of forgetting to actually watch the game he's commenting on for extended periods while he studies his notes or rubs one off or something.

Tonight, there was one point where the ball went out of bounds. HE called it out off UConn. The ref who blew the whistle stood there and made no posession call, waiting for help/confirmation, whatever, from another official. They conferred, gave UConn the ball, and Patrick says, "Now they're changing the call."

Reaction Score
I used to really be bothered by Patrick but mostly when he was calling Duke games. He's not my preference, but he grew on me last season. You could tell he really enjoyed watching our guards play. So he makes mistakes and says dumb things sometimes, there are too many college basketball games to have a good crew calling every one. The guy is marooned in Tampa calling an American Athletic Conference game. I'm amazed he wasn't too drunk to speak.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom