Do we have the $$$$ | The Boneyard

Do we have the $$$$

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
To spend on a very good coaching staff? We know we can offer a solid salary to the head coach, but what are the chances there will be an increase in assistant coaches salaries?

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
For a few years at any rate.

Btw, looks like Mark Reicht might be available. There's a retread I could get behind.

Still think he would have better suitors or a TV gig available to him before he came here.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
If it were possible (operative term being if) Richt would be a terrific hire, retread or not.

The only possibilites we would have in landing him however would be a) if there were some relationship between Herbst and him from when she was at UGA and b) if after spending a number of quality seasons at Georgia where nothing was ever good enough for the fanbase his wanting a place where building a (realatively) quality program will get him a statue.

If we could land him we would be clearly at the top of the AAC in a couple of years and not long after that the B1G and ACC would be fighting over who gets us.

Reaction Score
Reicht would be a great hire. Here is hoping Susie and him got along while she was down there. The guy can certainly recruit and he will build a nice program here. We will need to sign him with a huge buy out in case he wants to use us as a stepping stone.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
Normally I would be against the idea of being a steppingstone but if you look at the eight years that we and Cincinnati were both in the BE and switched their football results for ours, we would be in the B1G today.

If he wants to use us as a steppingstone and gets us to the point where the top programs in the country want to steal him from us, it would be fine with me.

Reaction Score
Richt, seriously? No one is coming from a program like Georgia to a program like this. The next coach will have to be some young guy that is looking to make his mark and then move on. The only question is if this admin has the ability to find that guy.

Reaction Score
So Reicht is going to get canned? He's lost 5 of his top 6 players to injury over the last 3 weeks. I'd say he's fine.

Reaction Score
GA fans don't like Richt. Feel he is holding them back. Unrealistic expectations maybe, but it would not be a huge surprise if he is let go, especially if they lose a few more games this year. The SEC is a crazy place. Gene Chizek was let go two years after winning a NATIONAL TITLE.

Reaction Score
Richt is most likely very safe. Penn State went after him hard last year and he received assurances from Georgia. He was the #1 pick (after Urban Meyer).

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I think Georgia is going 7-5 and that gets Richt canned. My guess is his agent will have other offers though.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
Georgia is the football equivalent of NC State basketball. They have a fan base that is convinced they are the equal in tradition and success to an historical program next door (Alabama to UGA, UNC to NC State) and regardless of what their head coach does, it won't be enough if their neighbor is experiencing more success. It is truly a thankless job if you don't win a title and it is barely enjoyable if you do.

Both Norm Sloan and Jim Valvano won national titles at NC State and were basically run out of town on a rail. Herb Sendek had as much success as could be reasonably expected at NC State yet when the ASU job came up St basically said 'don't let the door hit you in the in the way out'. ASU is not a school someone would normally leave a quality, multiple national title winning program for. Richt may end up doing the same to UGA as their football fan base is no more normal than NC State's basketball fan base.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
Reicht would be a great hire. Here is hoping Susie and him got along while she was down there. The guy can certainly recruit and he will build a nice program here. We will need to sign him with a huge buy out in case he wants to use us as a stepping stone.

Basically every job is a stepping stone job heck, Saban left LSU. come in, give us your best for a few years and then head for a bigger gig. I'm happy.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Richt is not coming to UConn. Richt is struggling this year because of injuries and the fans know that. And I wouldn't want him.

He is an underachiever who has had incredible talent and under delivered. I don't agree with the NC State analogy. NC State is second fiddle in their own state. UGA is an elite program with an incredible recruiting ground.

UConn needs a coach who gets the most out of his players. That is not Richt. Plus, Richt is boring as hell. This program needs some excitement and swagger.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
I just decided, I want Baylor's offensive coordinator. I also want to know how Kansas State held them to 35 points.

What is most mind boggling is that a defense that gave up 35 points in a game did a great job. That offense is ridiculous.

Reaction Score
Normally I would be against the idea of being a steppingstone but if you look at the eight years that we and Cincinnati were both in the BE and switched their football results for ours, we would be in the B1G today.

If he wants to use us as a steppingstone and gets us to the point where the top programs in the country want to steal him from us, it would be fine with me.
Agreed. I would be friggin ecstatic if in 2-4 years times our next HC's name was on the top of other schools wish list as a coaching candidate. Please let us have that problem.

Reaction Score
If we got Richt we should be ecstatic, however, we have no shot at someone of that caliber

I also don't think Georgia is dumb enough to fire him unless they know for sure they can get Kirby Smart

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom