Do We Have A Starting Center? | The Boneyard

Do We Have A Starting Center?

Reaction Score
I bring this up because deep down I don't think we have one. Cobb was supposed to provide backup minutes and Durham though skilled is not built to take that punishment. It's my feeling that we now need 2 more bodies to go into next season.

Reaction Score
Kentucky - Adebayo 6-10 260; he's more of a power forward than a center
Florida - Starts three combo forwards up front
Gonzaga - Polish guy is a traditional center
UNC - Meeks is 6-10 260 and I guess is a center
Kansas - Starts four guards and a power forward
Xavier - Starts four guards and a power forward (who wanted to come here if memory serves)
Oregon - Starts three guards and two forwards
South Carolina - Starts three guards and two power forwards

So of the elite eight teams, one team has a traditional five, two teams have 4/5's, and the rest starts 6-9 power forwards. The "5" position is dead. Diarra, Durham, Carlton, or Cobb can easily man that position. I'm assuming Vance stays, he and Larrier play the four, and you go three guards. 1/2 of the elite eight teams follow that formula and we have won two championships without a center. We will be fine.

Reaction Score
Xavier - Starts four guards and a power forward (who wanted to come here if memory serves)

So of the elite eight teams, one team has a traditional five, two teams have 4/5's, and the rest starts 6-9 power forwards. The "5" position is dead. Diarra, Durham, Carlton, or Cobb can easily man that position. I'm assuming Vance stays, he and Larrier play the four, and you go three guards. 1/2 of the elite eight teams follow that formula and we have won two championships without a center. We will be fine.
Thanks, I just stepped back of the ledge.

Reaction Score
I bring this up because deep down I don't think we have one. Cobb was supposed to provide backup minutes and Durham though skilled is not built to take that punishment. It's my feeling that we now need 2 more bodies to go into next season.
Sad that Enoch was not willing to compete. Yes he is already better offensively than Brimah. His defense was a huge hole in the middle. Transferring now, says perhaps his heart is not in it.

Reaction Score
The last 2 games we played i had recorded so i went back to watch Enoch's defense. He stayed between his man and the basket well. There we're plays where opponents guarded by another UCONN player drove to the basket and his help defense could have been better, but go ahead and watch Brimah and Facey on isolation. They were burned plenty. They mishandled constantly. they turned over. doesn't that stuff count? He blocked shots and rebounded pretty well. He scored 6 points from the line mostly from scrapping near the hoop. We had many games where AB would be in there and get 3 rebounds and next to no or a few points. Steve wasn't better than that? Guard oriented offenses can hit bad cold streaks like Rodney going 3-19 right? We had a back to the basket big man to work with and play 20 minutes a game. KO should have told him that he was our starting center and we were going to get him the ball. KO burned and soured him with 12 minutes a game.

Reaction Score
The last 2 games we played i had recorded so i went back to watch Enoch's defense. He stayed between his man and the basket well. There we're plays where opponents guarded by another UCONN player drove to the basket and his help defense could have been better, but go ahead and watch Brimah and Facey on isolation. They were burned plenty. They mishandled constantly. they turned over. doesn't that stuff count? He blocked shots and rebounded pretty well. He scored 6 points from the line mostly from scrapping near the hoop. We had many games where AB would be in there and get 3 rebounds and next to no or a few points. Steve wasn't better than that? Guard oriented offenses can hit bad cold streaks like Rodney going 3-19 right? We had a back to the basket big man to work with and play 20 minutes a game. KO should have told him that he was our starting center and we were going to get him the ball. KO burned and soured him with 12 minutes a game.

Help defense is a vital skill of post players. It was layup line when he was in the game. I've sat by the bench and Ollie has to tell Enoch where to be half the time. Don't sugar coat it he was bad.

Great kid. I'm not mad he's moving on and wish him luck. Hindsight is not always 2020 apparently

Reaction Score
Help defense is a vital skill of post players. It was layup line when he was in the game. I've sat by the bench and Ollie has to tell Enoch where to be half the time. Don't sugar coat it he was bad.

Great kid. I'm not mad he's moving on and wish him luck. Hindsight is not always 2020 apparently
We had a ton of bad last year, from all over the court.

Reaction Score

This is a good point. You don't need a traditional post guy to be successful. It's just that if you have 2 on the roster and one's a Senior that has shown little progress over 4 years it's probably a good idea to incorporate the Sophomore a bit more into the mix and add him to a few offensive sets to prepare for the future. Not making any outrageous claims about his potential but not doing that sends a message and it was received. So hopefully there was/is a plan moving forward.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
There are enough guys on the roster to have a center by committee until and if one starts to standout
Much better than key holing Enoch in that slot and watch him getting torched
Too much panic over very little

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom