Do UConn fans have a team to “Hate” this year? | The Boneyard

Do UConn fans have a team to “Hate” this year?

Reaction Score
Lady Vols? for old time’s sake?

Notre Dame? In honor of Muffin? ( no, they did not take Azzi out intentionally?

LSU? Does anybody love Kim except her Momma? Does she?

SCar: they’re just getting too Cocky?

Iowa: no. Caitlin will never be the GOAT

Others?

I mean hate as in modern internet, irrational hate. If you don’t love them, you are a “ hater” - Unless, of course, you are talking about perfectly rational hatred of Clem’s Son. ;)

Reaction Score
It's ND for me - I know somewhere, if/when we beat them, Muffet cries and that makes me happy.
As far as the others:
LV - it was over when Pat was still coaching
LSU - a close second to ND - Mulkey feeding her team early season cupcakes and not playing us makes her fair game
SCar - I never hated them, always appreciated Dawn (when we weren't playing them) and I loved a few of their players. I'm still an A'ja fan
Iowa - no longer relevant

Reaction Score
I don't feel as much ire towards the LVs anymore since they're not at all what they used to be, so I wouldn't say "hate", but I won't be rooting for them to win a title anytime soon. I second that Iowa is just not even relevant. They were only relevant the last two years.

ND and Mulkey (no matter what team she's with) I will always root against. ND is a especially a school I root against as an entire whole.

I have had have "sports hate" for SCar since they started getting good, but I respect Dawn as a coach.

Syracuse as a school is one I have and will always "hate", but I do really like and respect Coach Jack and seeing their games is fun, so my dislike has become less for the WBB specifically. But only them. :p

I won't lose any sleep over any of these programs never winning another title. :)

Reaction Score
I have nothing but respect for the Teams now challenging the Huskies for the NO.1 team in WCBB, such as SC, ND, UCLA, and Texas. I guess I have to add USC to that list as well. Notice how I did not add LSU to the list. With the portal now available for players to transfer so easily it has changed the recruiting process for these teams. Most of the coaches are capable nowadays some better than others. The changing of the team's culture adds to the longevity of that school perch amongst the best.
UConn won't lose its perch if at all even if Geno Retires.

Reaction Score
I have nothing but respect for the Teams now challenging the Huskies for the NO.1 team in WCBB, such as SC, ND, UCLA, and Texas. I guess I have to add USC to that list as well. Notice how I did not add LSU to the list. With the portal now available for players to transfer so easily it has changed the recruiting process for these teams. Most of the coaches are capable nowadays some better than others. The changing of the team's culture adds to the longevity of that school perch amongst the best.
UConn won't lose its perch if at all even if Geno Retires.
No team has ever won championship under two coaches except La Tech in the very early days. Not sure any team (other than LaTech) has even reached the Final Four after a championship coach has retired. U$C reaching he Elite 8 last year was a rarity for a former champion under a different staff.

Of course, the NCAA tournament has a rather short history and somebody's gonna do it again and it may well be UConn - or may not.

Reaction Score
Tennessee and ND will always be in the ole 'hate' category for me.

South Carolina I respect. You guys took a whooping from us for years before getting to our level, and Staley never complained. It's a friendly rivalry in my eyes. Looking forward to hopefully a great game (or 2) this year with everybody actually healthy!

LSU is easy to hate on, but we don't have any kind of rivalry with them because Kim would never schedule us now.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Interesting question.

For context i have been around since the Lobo days so i have seen a lot!!

LV—used to absolutely despise them but since Pat left us I feel that rivalry has subsided. I see them as any other team.

LSU—love her or hate her Mulkey can coach. They don’t bother me.

South Carolina—admire Staley and South Carolina has some players i really like (past and present). Their fans however is what gets me. They are vitriol on social media!!!

Iowa—again never really understand the hate for them. They don’t bother!!

ND—Ding! Ding! We have a winner. Unlikeable players and an unlikeable coach in MM. i was hoping my stance would change with Ivey because i like her as a player and coach. She seems genuine but as a program i just can’t with them.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Perhaps they didn't. But in my heart I will cling to the bitter shadow of that memory. It's not fair to KK Bransford, but I may not ever forgive her.
Bransford clotheslined Liz Kitley a few games later. I don’t remember that being reviewed, but I couldn’t come up with a way it could possibly be a basketball play.

By the standard in the OP I couldn’t hate a team, but I could never like Notre Dame after a few stunts their players and coach pulled.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Always TN. Always. (and that extends to all sports, the University itself, and any athlete who ever played for them)

I hate ND also, but mostly for Football. But I suppose it can carry over a bit for WBB too.

Don't necessarily "hate" any other WBB teams. Though I do like to see teams get upset. So when ranked teams get upset, that's fun.

However, if SC fans keep trying to usurp USC, then my hate for those fans may spill over onto the actual team.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Since my childhood years living in West Lafayette and Lafayette, Indiana there is only one team that I have hated and that's the Irish. I hated them in football and men's basketball since the early 60's. It carried over after there became a women's basketball team. I dislike them more than Purdue's all time rivalry with the Indiana Hoosiers.

Reaction Score
I prefer the term "dislike" as I feel right now there is too much use of the term "hate". Having said that I find it very difficult to dislike anything about Dawn Staley. She's done it the right way and her players, like Geno's, have always shown class. That is the exact opposite of Ms. Mulkey who appears to attract players who, while talented, seem to do more talking with their mouth than their playing on the court.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jackruy1

Top Bottom