Do these New NCAA WBB Rule Changes Matter? | The Boneyard

Do these New NCAA WBB Rule Changes Matter?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Interesting. Yes I do think they matter.
Lot fewer charges with the 4ft arc.
Fewer first half time outs but maybe a little longer end of game in tight contests.
Two feet grounded for the reset of the three second call is going to change post play quite a bit.
Like the ability to check the shot clock at any time.

Reaction Score
When NCAA WBB can follow NBA's no travel call?
I think I saw some players travelled not only 3, but 4, 5 steps in the NBA finals....

Reaction Score
The new three second rule(If they actually ever enforce it) is going to significantly change the play for "traditional" post players.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I see both good & bad in these changes. Some thoughts:
  • 4ft restricted area is good and recognizes that the women's game has gotten more athletic. Quite frankly there are just too many players that plant themselves in the lane looking for charging calls.
  • Don't like carrying use it or lose it time out to the 2nd half. It will encourage more fouling & time-outs that slow down close games. Just let the girls play.
  • Don't like resetting the 10-second shot when an offensive team calls time out in the back court as it penalizes the opposing team for playing good defense.
  • Extending the coaches box from 28' to 38' probably acknowledges what coaches are already doing. Now coaches will be pushing the coaches box to 48'.
The rest of the changes are fine and will have little consequence IMO.

Reaction Score
I think I saw some players travelled not only 3, but 4, 5 steps in the NBA finals....

Are you trying to inhibit players from making windup dunks? It is bad enough the Pros (who have ignored that rule for years) it is creeping to the Men's game (College)--it's called making the game entertaining to get more viewers---thing is: it will attract some viewers and lose some long time fans. (point is I agree with you)
The new rules ---most I like. I don't think there is a need to extend the coaching box. I really like 2 feet out of the key or the 3 second are going--speaking of which I think 3 should go to 7 seconds---an offensive player isn't planted at 7--and yet has time to make some decent moves to the basket--3 three is tough to call-unless this is all the Ref is interested in--and some times looks arbitrary
The advancing up court--my thought are at the cleaners --the ARC --good if properly and fairly called

Reaction Score
The new three second rule(If they actually ever enforce it) is going to significantly change the play for "traditional" post players.
I like both feet OUT---I dislike 3 second --not enough time to make good moves. There should be a 3 second tie-up rule instead of the quick whistle or the no whistle--either is unfair.

Reaction Score
A secondary defender must be outside the arc and in legal guarding position to draw a charge. If the player is in the restricted area when the contact occurs, a block will be called.

I think the 4 foot arc is a big change.

- A player must place both feet on the floor outside the lane to avoid a three-second violation.

This is almost as stupid as the NFL rule that a receiver must keep both feet in bounds to count as a completed pass, while a running back only has to touch the line with one foot to be called out of bounds.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score

It's already in place, selectively ;)

upload_2017-6-14_16-58-32.png

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
I like the four feet arc. Also having to get both feet out of the lane. This can help open the inside more.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I see both good & bad in these changes. Some thoughts:
  • 4ft restricted area is good and recognizes that the women's game has gotten more athletic. Quite frankly there are just too many players that plant themselves in the lane looking for charging calls.
  • Don't like carrying use it or lose it time out to the 2nd half. It will encourage more fouling & time-outs that slow down close games. Just let the girls play.
  • Don't like resetting the 10-second shot when an offensive team calls time out in the back court as it penalizes the opposing team for playing good defense.
  • Extending the coaches box from 28' to 38' probably acknowledges what coaches are already doing. Now coaches will be pushing the coaches box to 48'.
The rest of the changes are fine and will have little consequence IMO.

I think you may have misread the article - (I agree with you btw)

Other rule changes:

- The “use-it-or-lose-it” timeout in the first half has been eliminated. Coaches are allowed to carry all timeouts over to the second half.

- The 10-second backcourt count will not be reset when the offensive team calls a timeout.

- Officials will be permitted to use replay to determine if the release of the ball on a made basket occurred before the shot clock expired.

- The coach’s box will be extended to 38 feet for the 2017-18 season. Previously, the coach’s box was 28 feet in length. Women’s Basketball Rules Committee members believe this will allow coaches to better communicate with their teams when their players are on the other end of the court.

- A player must place both feet on the floor outside the lane to avoid a three-second violation.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I think you may have misread the article - (I agree with you btw)

Other rule changes:

- The “use-it-or-lose-it” timeout in the first half has been eliminated. Coaches are allowed to carry all timeouts over to the second half.

- The 10-second backcourt count will not be reset when the offensive team calls a timeout.

- Officials will be permitted to use replay to determine if the release of the ball on a made basket occurred before the shot clock expired.

- The coach’s box will be extended to 38 feet for the 2017-18 season. Previously, the coach’s box was 28 feet in length. Women’s Basketball Rules Committee members believe this will allow coaches to better communicate with their teams when their players are on the other end of the court.

This is exactly why an old guy like me should never read an article on an I-phone...:oops:

Reaction Score
Two feet grounded for the reset of the three second call is going to change post play quite a bit.

I don't think this will change post play that dramatically. First, the longstanding rule on three seconds has been:

"It is a violation for a player to have any part of her body remain in the three-second lane for more than three consecutive seconds while the ball is in control of that player’s team in her frontcourt."

So it has not been legal for a player to have even part of one foot in the lane for more than three seconds in any recent year. The only change being made is that a player has to make sure to have both feet on the floor to stop the count. But I seriously doubt that referees will play "gotcha" and call a player for a violation if one foot is still in the air at the count of three, as long as the player is making an effort to vacate the lane. For many years, most trivial violations of the three second rule have been ignored by most refs. Usually they only call it if the player is gaining an advantage. I expect that will be exactly how they will call it going forward.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Frankly no matter how much we think these rules will change WCBB the fact is given even a short amount of time the players, officials and coaches will adapt. We will soon enough be complaining about lane lingering, bad charge calls, poor clock management by coaches, coaches infringing on the coaches box, and how the length of games are increasing. Nevertheless I'm glad rules for both MBB and WBB overall are becoming unilateral. Now lets work on that ball size.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom