DJ Jeffries commits to Memphis | The Boneyard

DJ Jeffries commits to Memphis

Reaction Score
Huge get for Memphis. Penny is quickly turning them into a destination spot.

Attachments

• 1F0EBEF0-A8A8-470A-A2D7-51B86EF2B506.png
    1F0EBEF0-A8A8-470A-A2D7-51B86EF2B506.png
    184.9 KB · Views: 96
Reaction Score
Helps the AAC perception. Other 5-stars in the league softens that argument used against UConn that the AAC is inferior. It has been said for years that UConn and Memphis need to be strong for AAC hoops to take the next step.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
If this is a double edged sword, getting accepted into the ACC would have been a nightmare. This is a single edge sword.
Unless they start taking the guys we’re going after

Reaction Score
While we need Memphis to recruit successfully to help make the AAC successful, it is also a double-edged sword. Now we have to play against these guys. :eek:

That is a very short term view point. The best way for UConn to get out of the AAC is to 1) get respectable in football and 2) have UConn and AAC basketball take the spotlight off the ACC and B1G by becoming a 4-5 bid league that makes final 4s.

The old Big East became the thorn in the side of the ACC both financially and on the field. The AAC needs to become the same

Pgh2Storrs

In Hurley We Trust
Reaction Score
There should be no issue with Memphis landing big time recruits. None of us want to be in this conference but, while we are, we need as many nationally relevant teams as possible.

As mind numbing as it is to play ECU and Tulsa, it’s actually fun to watch when we’re rolling and you have Memphis, Cincy, SMU, etc. ranked and playing well. I honestly don’t think the AAC is far removed from equaling and surpassing the Big East and, as has been said a million different times, getting us and Memphis back to prominence is the first step

Reaction Score
There should be no issue with Memphis landing big time recruits. None of us want to be in this conference but, while we are, we need as many nationally relevant teams as possible.

As mind numbing as it is to play ECU and Tulsa, it’s actually fun to watch when we’re rolling and you have Memphis, Cincy, SMU, etc. ranked and playing well. I honestly don’t think the AAC is far removed from equaling and surpassing the Big East and, as has been said a million different times, getting us and Memphis back to prominence is the first step
Memphis is a really fun city. The school will accept kids we won't
(Not saying relevant to Precious).

Reaction Score

Yes, I get that Memphis' success is the AAC's success and, by extension, UConn's success. I get it. I was hoping our turnaround would be a season quicker than Penny's. That's all.

I do think it's in our best interest to make the AAC better -- and this won't be popular -- because I don't think conference realignment will happen for us. I think this will be our home and we have to make the best of it. I do believe that, in the short-term, we can move past both the fake Big East and the Big XII in the basketball power rankings. The Pac 12 isn't what it used to be, either.

On that note, I'm shutting down. Kickoff is just minutes away. We gotta beat UMass.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Yes, I get that Memphis' success is the AAC's success and, by extension, UConn's success. I get it. I was hoping our turnaround would be a season quicker than Penny's. That's all.

I do think it's in our best interest to make the AAC better -- and this won't be popular -- because I don't think conference realignment will happen for us. I think this will be our home and we have to make the best of it. I do believe that, in the short-term, we can move past both the fake Big East and the Big XII in the basketball power rankings. The Pac 12 isn't what it used to be, either.

On that note, I'm shutting down. Kickoff is just minutes away. We gotta beat UMass.

Results on the court will determine that.

Reaction Score
Memphis is a really fun city. The school will accept kids we won't
(Not saying relevant to Precious).

That is not even remotely true! UConn will accept any kid that passes the NCAA eligibility center requirements.

Reaction Score
The coaches have said otherwise. Both Edsall and Ollie have remarked on this. Maybe it's hard to believe but they have both said it.

They may say it, doesn't make it true. All levels of sports will accept less-than-adequate players academically to boost sports teams. Some of our players very recently have been nearly illiterate.

Do I care? No. Would I try in school if I could spend time on the court and maybe millions in the league? No.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
They may say it, doesn't make it true. All levels of sports will accept less-than-adequate players academically to boost sports teams. Some of our players very recently have been nearly illiterate.

Do I care? No. Would I try in school if I could spend time on the court and maybe millions in the league? No.

I think where you might be able to draw a line is sketchy characters. I don't think there's anyone Memphis wouldn't let in. Given our recent NCAA snafu's, I think UCONN would be careful and not push it with a certain type of kid (not that Hurley would want that anyway, but still).

Reaction Score
The coaches have said otherwise. Both Edsall and Ollie have remarked on this. Maybe it's hard to believe but they have both said it.

That tells me they were unable and/or unwilling to game the system like every other program. How many players on the Duke Basketball roster would actually qualify (via academic admission standards) without basketball?

intlzncster

Reaction Score
That tells me they were unable and/or unwilling to game the system like every other program. How many players on the Duke Basketball roster would actually qualify (via academic admission standards) without basketball?

That's a false equivalency though, as Duke's standards are definitely higher than UCONN's and Memphis's. We're talking about borderline academically eligible kids. Duke rarely even looks at those kids.

Reaction Score
I think where you might be able to draw a line is sketchy characters. I don't think there's anyone Memphis wouldn't let in. Given our recent NCAA snafu's, I think UCONN would be careful and not push it with a certain type of kid (not that Hurley would want that anyway, but still).

Agreed.

Reaction Score
That's a false equivalency though, as Duke's standards are definitely higher than UCONN's and Memphis's. We're talking about borderline academically eligible kids. Duke rarely even looks at those kids.

Duke looks at every 5* kid.

Reaction Score
While we need Memphis to recruit successfully to help make the AAC successful, it is also a double-edged sword. Now we have to play against these guys. :eek:

If we want to be the best we have to play the best. Playing in the old Big East was our proving ground for out of conference play and national level success of the program.

You make a good point with your comment on conference realignment.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Duke looks at every 5* kid.

Not really. They can pick and choose. How many borderline kids have they taken in the past 5 years? I can't think of any offhand.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
That is not even remotely true! UConn will accept any kid that passes the NCAA eligibility center requirements.
while I will take your word, I don't agree at all and I don't believe that is the issue
The issue is that Memphis and quite a few others will accept many that UConn will not touch
After speaking with a few coaches, including KO, UConn will not take any kid that passes the NCAA eligibility requirements and that has frustrated coaches in Storrs for years

Last edited:
Reaction Score
0. Some of the kids they've had might be pretty smart but Duke is really, really hard to get into.

Reaction Score

This is all a mystery. No one really knows. I remember back in 1999 a Pittsburgh newspaper basically called the UConn kids thugs when they beat Duke, and he portrayed the Duke kids as scholars. Elton Brand, William Avery, Corey Maggette, Chris Burgess.

And why were the UConn kids maligned? They were mostly upperclassmen.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom