Division I schools reclassify, conferences added | The Boneyard

Division I schools reclassify, conferences added

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
But UMass must hit attendance # this season to stay FBS:

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/public/ncaa/resources/latest news/2013/august/division i schools reclassify conferences added

>>Massachusetts and South Alabama were approved but must meet minimum football attendance requirements this season, while Texas State moves into the FBS with no restrictions.

Both UMass and South Alabama failed to satisfy the actual or paid 15,000 attendance requirement over a rolling two-year period for FBS schools. Their move to the FBS will be contingent upon having 15,000 in actual average attendance in the 2013 football season. If the requirement is not met, the schools will receive a notice of noncompliance and enter a 10-year probationary period.<<

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Umass has only been FBS for one season, so I guess can only go up?

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
6 x $5 x 15k = $450k. I'm sure they can swing it if they have to.

pj

Reaction Score
6 x $5 x 15k = $450k. I'm sure they can swing it if they have to.

You're suggesting they pay students $5 to drive 2 hours to Gillette to attend games? Or offer them a free beer?

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Saying the requirements say nothing about how much tickets should cost. UMass could 'buy' 15k per game through a foundation and give them away or burn them. Requirement met.

Reaction Score
Saying the requirements say nothing about how much tickets should cost. UMass could 'buy' 15k per game through a foundation and give them away or burn them. Requirement met.

I believe student football tickets are free @ UMass (not saying they aren't built into student fees). Students only pay a nominal fee for the bus ride.

Reaction Score
They should give up. A lot of other schools were already talking about doing so long before this D4 thing ever came up. Now things are going into overdrive.

Reaction Score
Sadly, no one cares or will admit to caring about UMass in football east of I-495 and the 1 ½ hour bus ride (90 miles) kills student interest (and I thought UConn was hard with a 30 minute/22 mile drive between Storrs and East Hartford). Heck, inside of I-495, college football is a tough sell with only BC (average attendance 37K [4th worst in ACC ahead of just Duke, Wake, and Maryland and just behind ‘Cuse], national average 45K) and Harvard remaining at D-1. Boston U and Northeastern have both bowed out. UMass’s only chance at D-1 football (and likely football overall) is to expand their current stadium from 17K to 40/50K and build a loyal fan base west of I-495 in Worcester and Springfield.

Reaction Score
Sadly, no one cares or will admit to caring about UMass in football east of I-495 and the 1 ½ hour bus ride (90 miles) kills student interest (and I thought UConn was hard with a 30 minute/22 mile drive between Storrs and East Hartford). Heck, inside of I-495, college football is a tough sell with only BC (average attendance 37K [4th worst in ACC ahead of just Duke, Wake, and Maryland and just behind ‘Cuse], national average 45K) and Harvard remaining at D-1. Boston U and Northeastern have both bowed out. UMass’s only chance at D-1 football (and likely football overall) is to expand their current stadium from 17K to 40/50K and build a loyal fan base west of I-495 in Worcester and Springfield.

Did a campus visit with my oldest spawn last week. They are in the midst of renovations that will increase seating @ McGuirk to 25k so they can bring a few games back to campus and it should be ready for a game at some point in 2014. They are locked into Gillette for all games through this year and for a minimum of 4-5 @ Gillette in 2014 -2016.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Did a campus visit with my oldest spawn last week. They are in the midst of renovations that will increase seating @ McGuirk to 25k so they can bring a few games back to campus and it should be ready for a game at some point in 2014. They are locked into Gillette for all games through this year and for a minimum of 4-5 @ Gillette in 2014 -2016.
OK medic but that's just a pro forma visit right? I'll go ahead and assume Huskymedic Jr. will be moving into the dorms in Storrs a year from now...

Reaction Score

UMass is renovating the press area and adding a football training complex (and basketball, too); but, it does not appear that any new seats are being added, though the clip even admits that there is confusion here.

http://maroonmusket.com/2012/10/no-expanded-seating-for-mcguirk-alumni-stadium/

DrG

Reaction Score
The only firm plans, which are already under construction, are the facility and the new press box. That was a condition of admittance to the MAC. There is a tentative plan to expand McGuirk seating to 25K by reconfiguring the lower sidelines and adding seats in one end zone, but that is on the back burner until the first phase is done. The 11-year probationary period will be more than sufficient to see if the FBS thing is going to work. As a UMass fan, I see this as more of a 5-year plan before we reach the make-or-break point. At this point I am not terribly optimistic, but I can hope.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
UMass with a stadium on campus... not a horrid idea... UMass with a stadium 90 miles away... doomed to failure. It's just nuts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom