OT: - Diverticulosis | The Boneyard

OT: Diverticulosis

Reaction Score
Anyone have experience with this. Went to ER at 3am last nite, and came out w this.

No more pepperoni pizza?

Reaction Score
You should find out in the next 12 months if:

a) It never comes back and you had a one time issue or
b) It becomes diverticulitis.

I had 4 bouts of diverticulitis in a 3 year period and had 8 inches of my lower intestine removed maybe 8 years ago. I'm free and clear of any symptoms since the surgery. For now?

a) Drink a lot of water
b) Take a fiber supplement like psyllium husk or Metamucil.
c) Stop eating things like corn, popcorn, peanuts, etc.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
I had it for years, would get an attack about once a year and knock it out with antibiotics. When it became more frequent, my surgeon advised removing about 6" of colon to rectify it. The attacks were pretty painful, but didn't have one burst, which is no bueno. The doctor told me it wasn't diet related, and that he would rather address it while I was relatively young and able to heal quickly. It has been perfect since the surgery, although I did have a complication with a kidney afterward and had to get a stent for a period of time, which hurt far more than the diverticulitis did.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I've had it twice in past dozen years, last time was maybe 4 years ago. Each time, got an Rx, drank some Metamucil, it went away pretty quickly. Hopefully you're as lucky.

I'll add that my mother had it several times in her final years. Was told not to eat anything with seeds (cukes, tomatoes, etc.). I've had no issues with that, knock on wood.

Reaction Score
I've know people who have this. I don't think diverticulosis is the problem. If/when it becomes diverticulitis, that's a problem. One had to have surgery to remove a section of intestine. You might want to see a gastro-MD. Is there a doctor in the house?
Kind of this. Diverticulosis is when a diverticulitis of the intestinal tract becomes infected, with some organic material especially like seeds, hence why you’re told to avoid going forward

Reaction Score
Also, I'll say this now. If you find that you're having repeated flare ups, say every 6-12 months? Speak to your GI guy about the elective surgery that TRest and I had.

Elective = 4 days in the hospital. In through the bellybutton. No scar. Back to 100% in 2-3 weeks.

If you choose not to go elective and your flare up ruptures = 12-16 inch opening of your entire abdomen, months and months of recovery and not feeling back to 100% and a colostomy bag for 6 weeks or so.

Reaction Score
Experienced it for the first time a few months ago....Not fun!

Following this thread for the advice

Reaction Score
You should find out in the next 12 months if:

a) It never comes back and you had a one time issue or
b) It becomes diverticulitis.

I had 4 bouts of diverticulitis in a 3 year period and had 8 inches of my lower intestine removed maybe 8 years ago. I'm free and clear of any symptoms since the surgery. For now?

a) Drink a lot of water
b) Take a fiber supplement like psyllium husk or Metamucil.
c) Stop eating things like corn, popcorn, peanuts, etc.

Can you elaborate a little more on the things Not to eat.
Any help I can get to possibly prevent it from happening again would be great.

TIA!

Reaction Score
Uggh! Had a bout with this a few years ago. Not fun at all. Today I eat pretty regularly but definitely stay away from nuts and popcorn which sucks because I used to absolutely love crunch n munch which is what caused my first and hopefully only bout with it.

Mike Honcho

HU5KIES!
Reaction Score

In the section discussing which foods to avoid, that link says: "In the past, doctors had recommended that people with diverticular disease (diverticulosis or diverticulitis) avoid hard-to-digest foods such as nuts, corn, popcorn, and seeds, for fear that these foods would get stuck in the diverticula and lead to inflammation. However, recent research has noted that there is no real scientific evidence to back up this recommendation."

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
In the section discussing which foods to avoid, that link says: "In the past, doctors had recommended that people with diverticular disease (diverticulosis or diverticulitis) avoid hard-to-digest foods such as nuts, corn, popcorn, and seeds, for fear that these foods would get stuck in the diverticula and lead to inflammation. However, recent research has noted that there is no real scientific evidence to back up this recommendation."
FWIW my surgeon said every biopsy he ever had done showed each inflammation was just caused by fecal matter, not a specific food. Although I avoided popcorn then anyway.

Reaction Score
Wife had this and had to have surgery to have section of intestines removed. Most painful surgery she ever had. She was throwing up from pain for a week following the surgery and had to walk with a cane she was 35 at the time

Reaction Score
FWIW my surgeon said every biopsy he ever had done showed each inflammation was just caused by fecal matter, not a specific food. Although I avoided popcorn then anyway.

Why I recommended the psyllium husk. I still stay away from nuts and popcorn just to be safe. This issue is painful enough to make the sacrifice.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Why I recommended the psyllium husk. I still stay away from nuts and popcorn just to be safe. This issue is painful enough to make the sacrifice.
Yeah I still take a fiber supplement everyday just in case.

Reaction Score
Wife had this and had to have surgery ...she was 35 at the time
Wow, always thought diverticulosis and diverticulitis primarily impacted under-active older to elderly people and particularly those with rubbish diets. 35! So much for the age fallacy, but what changes did your wife’s doctors subsequently recommend? Glad she’s OK.

Reaction Score
I had it this year. Got a bad infection- thought is was just a stomach ache from traveling a lot- almost died.
Spent 10 days in hospital- once infection was under control had surgery 30 days later to remove part of my colon. Fun.
Very treatable if caught early and can be treated with diet changes if your not an idiot like me and hate going to doctor. ( My friends tried calling me semi colon for about 5 minutes before they realized I was no longer returning their text messages :)).
Lots of degrees - mine was severe some are not that big a deal. Hoping Geno falls into the "not a big deal" category. Took me a about a month to get back to normal after.

Reaction Score
Wow, always thought diverticulosis and diverticulitis primarily impacted under-active older to elderly people and particularly those with rubbish diets. 35! So much for the age fallacy, but what changes did your wife’s doctors subsequently recommend? Glad she’s OK.

Fiber supplement, probiotics, less coffee and soda and drinking more water. No flare ups or issues since surgery.

She was active beforehand so it wasn't due to being unhealthy

Reaction Score
What I found is that it wasn't just the really bad times during flare ups, there were lots of times I just didn't "feel good". Loss of appetite, a little nauseous, enough cramping to just not feel great. After the surgery all that went away.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom