Dissolving the BE; starting a new conference | The Boneyard

Dissolving the BE; starting a new conference

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
To the extent UConn and Cincy have the deciding votes to dissolve the conference, is one possible play to:

1. vote with the CYO 7 to dissolve
2. start a new conference (as has been reported) w/ best of the rest (teams not listed here)
3. keep it lean - i.e., not go to 12 immediately
4. sell it to NBC as a vehicle for NBC to poach ACC teams (given that they have no other way to get to them). NBC would have to be willing to give the new conference significant monetary incentives to bring in any current BCS teams in the form of ACC comparable payouts, at least for new members willing to join.
5. lie in wait for the sh$t to hit the fan in the ACC and elsewhere (caused by B1G and friends), and hope NBC $ can lure whatever is left of the ACC to our new conference.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
To the extent UConn and Cincy have the deciding votes to dissolve the conference, is one possible play to:

Why?
2. start a new conference (as has been reported) w/ best of the rest (teams not listed here)
How is it that this cannot be done without dissolving the BE?
Again, how is it that this cannot be done without dissolving the BE?
4. sell it to NBC as a vehicle for NBC to poach ACC teams (given that they have no other way to get to them). NBC would have to be willing to give the new conference significant monetary incentives to bring in any current BCS teams in the form of ACC comparable payouts, at least for new members willing to join.
?????????????????????????????????????????????? Have you broken into HFD's liquor cabinet?
5. lie in wait for the sh$t to hit the fan in the ACC and elsewhere (caused by B1G and friends), and hope NBC $ can lure whatever is left of the ACC to our new conference.
See responses to 3 (for the first part) and 4 (for the second part).

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score

1-you do this only to help other leagues and tvs(b10/acc-fox/espn) put you in better spots and save $ and logistics doing so
2-can do this now without #1 and keep crdits and bids and
3 and 4-no acc team is leaving no matter the $. if we mad e aleague of byu/bsu/cincy/uconn/usf/temple/uh/sdsu or something and nbc gave it 25mil, the world would hav actually ended. just silly. acc teams with the new redo with get 19mil a team now. the only reason they leave is for the b12(great tier 3 plus a reopen to 20+mil at 14 teams), sec who is be making a network and cahrging a lot for it and the b10 we all know the $$...i agree keep a new conf lean somewhat. its either go as lean as possible or as big as possible. i in the past have liked the go big idea more. i guess it matter to what $ gets...
5-nope not happening.

Reaction Score
Ok i concede this is not likely to work. I did like the sound of as new conference though. As much as I hate the exclusionary nature of conference realignment, I'm not sure all the teams we have joining the NNBE help us. Dissolving would give us a chance for a do over. Also, yes, I have been drinking.

Reaction Score
Dissolving would give us a chance for a do over.

The Big East is a do over. Everybody left. Its a complete do over. If the name still has value and it probably does we should keep it.

The Big East now needs to strategically add teams to stay alive. Who's in the on deck circle?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The geography is just death. There aren't enough teams in a realistic footprint to put together a legitimate league.

Reaction Score
The geography is just death. There aren't enough teams in a realistic footprint to put together a legitimate league.

It's time to either pick apart the A1o or join it.

Reaction Score
Just take the 6 best departments in the east that you can get. Have Boise and SDSU pick four more our west. And build a conference of " emerging programs" that encompasses the entire nation.

We don't need Tulane anymore.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

I'm not sure what you are getting at?

UConn is stuck between rock and a hard place.

Football is best served by something like (being realistic):
South Florida, Cincinnati, Boise, San Diego State, East Carolina, Navy, SMU, Houston, Tulsa, Temple, Central Florida (or replace with Nevada, Memphis, Tulane, UNLV, whatever)

No sport but Football is plausible for this geography.

Can those schools commit to a football only conference and everyone figures something out for non-football?

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
just for fun.

uconn, cincy, usf and temple out east and bsu, byu and sdsu are locks out west. build off it all sports. u want as many publics as possible, markets are always important and competition in state is also. other metrics like recruiting, expansion, fanbase and rising school in general is important. the day we played a game against lville academics are not a issue with uconn in a league until we get a invite into a better one. go huge so that when u lose more things survive, its the only way u can convice everyone to join and sign a 25 mil buyout type #. no one will gor as the mwc and big 4 east will still be adding to 16+...

east:
uconn/cincy/temple/usf
+ucf-big public with huge potential, makes fl a big 5 school wise and the conf with 2 of them. easy add all things considered..
+ecu great fball and baseball, let them build bball, couldn't hurt. they just never got the shot with tobacco road 4 all pissing on them. another public with huge potential and a loyal fanbase among other metrics
+memphis potential in fball and great bball. good sec market to show face in as its not hoome to a school in the sec as a city...
-navy i dont think they fit what we are trying to do here and i dont think they will want to go. i see them and army sitting still together and eventually going to the acc in the end so they can hang out with some other northeast has beens and never was.
+tulane sucks
+smiss good fball and other sports have good potential also. they are # 3 in state but the other 2 are north. they have histoty and infrastructure. ole and st both have rocky swings as programs so smiss isn't 3rd to a bama/auburn type monster. there is solid potential fanbase wise also.

others? uab, gast, latech, wk

side note: cincy blocks ohio as we block umass. umass and del need to join and build in the mac for 5-10 years before we talk about any of them. bring sbrook, unh and maine with them. maybe odu also. thats a nice league the mac could build up.

west:
sdsu/bsu/smu/uh
....i don't even like smu that much but were not going to lose a 2nd texas team so anyway...
+nm biig public with great bball and can build fball easily being close to fertile recruiting grounds
+unr rising monster
+utah school, give byu its chance and if not than usu
+cali #2...fresno and if not then sj. we have doubled downed in fla nd texas, so we should in cali also
+...are they down with this or not? if not then add a good potential school, not sure who that is. hawaii? unlv? utep? tulsa? cst? wy?

say no to: nmst and idaho. everyone else is worth a look as they ahve all been recently relevant.

theres your big nation 18. you can find 20 also if u let navy/army/ into the picture.

i still dont see it ever happening becuase the mwc can land a solid 14-18 confrence with texas schools/byu/bsu and crew and be better off doing that. so i'm not sure how it ever happens.

Reaction Score

I think this is precisely what needs to happen. C7 + BE Remnants + A10 = Two very good BB leagues

Here are the subplots:

1. Catholic vs non Catholic?
2. UConn, Temple, Cincy, and Memphis are solid. The rest are either dreck or very far away. Can the Gulf Coast members (SF + new additions) be told sorry BE BB is dead, but we could still play football?
3. Likewise, is the A10 the poacher or the poachee? Does anyone get left out there? Is there room for St Bonnies, Fordham, La Salle?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom