Disjointed, Delayed and Remote Cougar ThoughtZ™ | The Boneyard

Disjointed, Delayed and Remote Cougar ThoughtZ™

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Disclaimer: I did not see the game. No ESPNU access. Further, I do not know if I want to see the game at this point.
Still, from listening and from following the game as best as possible from ESPN's 'Play by Play" write-up and from the box score, I do have some thoughts about this debacle*.
  1. The Houston guard (Jurreau?) couldn't hit a shot (3/10, 0/2) but still managed to score 18 because the refs just kept sending him to the line (12/15). He was also their leading rebounder with 11 boards. But he also committed 7 TOs.
  2. Speaking of 7, That's how many offensive boards our whole damned team got. We had 35 opportunities for offensive boards on missed field goals, plus another 4 or 5 on reboundable (ie, not on the 1st shot of a 2 shot foul) misses from the FT line.
  3. It was apparently a pretty physical game, but the refs getting all ticky tacky in an effort to "take control of the game" is never a good thing -- especially when they let things like taunting go uncalled, then call a T on our bench for complaining about it.
  4. Whalley had by far the best game of any Husky, and of his career.
  5. Vital played OK-ish. Didn't shoot great, but still managed to lead us in scoring and had his usual assortment of steals, rebounds and assists.
  6. Gilbert played as poorly as any game by a UConn starting point guard that I can remember. Didn't make shots. Didn't make FTs. Lead the team in turnovers.
  7. Wilson fouled out in 13 minutes of playing time. Can't really hold it against him due to the general incompetence and home cooking served up by the refs, but still, 13 minutes?
  8. When was the last time 3 Huskies fouled out of a non-OT game?
  9. Akok is not an offensive savant. We seem to get a couple highlight reel defensive plays from him every 2 or 3 games, with too much of the other night's general lack of production in between. I'm really having trouble digesting one for nine from the field.

*Debacle. While debacle seems to only be used these days in reference to catastrophic failures, the original and still valid meaning of the word specifically refers to the sudden breakup of an ice jam on a river. Nothing whatsoever to do with the game, but since I used the word in its common current sense, I felt some inexplicable urge to include its real meaning.

wheelerdog

#OneForTheThumb
Reaction Score
You pretty much nailed it. Officiating may have been worse than reported.
One thing I haven't seen discussed was the 4th foul on Vital. He slipped and fell in the lane with no one within 5 feet and was called for a foul. Cost us at the end.

Reaction Score
Know that your contributions are appreciated RZ. May I add that Bouk's 5th foul for taunting (after he was fouled) wasn't missed by the refs.
Gilbert did some very good things in the Houston game, so it wasn't his worst game at all. Akok will be much more impactful next year offensively I believe.

SwingDog

"THIS is the life you have"
Reaction Score
Good pointz RichZ. The only thing I would disagree with is the "home cooking" as I think the refereeing was pretty atrocious on both sides. Al's turnovers and missed free throws definitely hurt us badly.

Reaction Score
I was at the game, the reffing both ways was bad but UConn got the worse of it. It was a rock fight throughout and the team did play hard. They were completely drained with 5 minutes left. The body language going into timeouts was not pretty, they had nothing left.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Gilbert did some very good things in the Houston game, so it wasn't his worst game at all. Akok will be much more impactful next year offensively I believe.
Given that I didn't have eyes on the game and tried to follow it by radio and watching the play-by-play text on ESPN, which are each out of sync with the action, and with each other, I can't speak to what he may have done to negate 3 of 11 from the floor, 1 of 6 from the line, 3 boards, 6 turnovers and a couple fouls. Four dimes was his only non-negative stat, and that is far outweighed by a half dozen TOs. Now you're making me want to watch the replay just to see what was good about his game. Until I get that opportunity, I'll have to stand by my reaction that it was the worst starting Husky PG performance in my recollection.

Reaction Score
Generally speaking....Last time we played Houston, we lost by like 39 points, without AG. But we had Jalen Adams. This year, we were in it until the end. Stats don't tell the whole story.
(Lies, damn lies, and ....)

Reaction Score
One thing I haven't seen discussed was the 4th foul on Vital. He slipped and fell in the lane with no one within 5 feet and was called for a foul. Cost us at the end.

No, I saw the foul. While on the ground he reached out and grabbed someone running by by his ankle. Absolutely a foul and a damn stupid one

Reaction Score
Given that I didn't have eyes on the game and tried to follow it by radio and watching the play-by-play text on ESPN, which are each out of sync with the action, and with each other, I can't speak to what he may have done to negate 3 of 11 from the floor, 1 of 6 from the line, 3 boards, 6 turnovers and a couple fouls. Four dimes was his only non-negative stat, and that is far outweighed by a half dozen TOs. Now you're making me want to watch the replay just to see what was good about his game. Until I get that opportunity, I'll have to stand by my reaction that it was the worst starting Husky PG performance in my recollection.

Through 18 games Gilbert is shooting 33% from the field and 64.5% from the free throw line. Yet he still takes WAY too many shots. Vital and Gilbert were a combined 6 for 23 from the field in this game. It is what it is, a terrible starting backcourt, hence the disappointing season.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Through 18 games Gilbert is shooting 33% from the field and 64.5% from the free throw line. Yet he still takes WAY too many shots. Vital and Gilbert were a combined 6 for 23 from the field in this game. It is what it is, a terrible starting backcourt, hence the disappointing season.
I am pretty sure the guys calling the game on TV pre-game said they were the best starting backcourt in the AAC. And then they mention the turnovers. It was very contradictory.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom