Dishin & Swishin Q&A with the Class of 2014: Shoni Schimmel brings more than just flash to the court | The Boneyard

Dishin & Swishin Q&A with the Class of 2014: Shoni Schimmel brings more than just flash to the court

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The image is tough to forget; 5-9 Shoni Schimmel challenging 6-8 Brittney Griner, finishing with an over-the-head back-to-the-basket shot that was the exclamation point on what may have been the biggest upset in women’s college basketball history, Louisville’s elimination of Baylor in last year’s NCAA tournament.

Why should we be surprised though? Louisville has been in the championship game twice, last year and 2009. Yet, like her school, Schimmel is often overlooked in discussion of the top seniors and potential lottery picks in the WNBA. Sometimes her flash and attempts at the play that will draw the big reaction leads people to overlook the facts.

http://j.mp/1mD6wul

Reaction Score
Shoni took the exact same circus shot against UConn in the championship game, but it didn't go in. It's interesting how "the moment" can produce an eternally memorable picture in one circumstance, and a non event in another. Both she and her sister have been good for the game and they deserve all the success they garner in the future.

Can there be a better placard? "Mrs. Schimmel, Send More Daughters."

Reaction Score
Shoni took the exact same circus shot against UConn in the championship game, but it didn't go in. It's interesting how "the moment" can produce an eternally memorable picture in one circumstance, and a non event in another. Both she and her sister have been good for the game and they deserve all the success they garner in the future.

Can there be a better placard? "Mrs. Schimmel, Send More Daughters."
After seeing them(L'ville) beat an underrated RU(25) for the 2nd time this season my doubts about them are gone and think they deserve their top 4/5 ranking at this point. Shoni has a better supporting cast than I thought. I like the fan support their getting too. Did they play a doubleheader yesterday after the MBB team or did 14G show for them alone?

Reaction Score
Men played Saturday on the road. Sunday was just the women.

Remember, UConn's final game will be senior night for Shoni. Think that place'll be rocking? :eek:

jennyo70

Loo'ville Lady
Reaction Score
^^^ Not only is it senior night (of which we have 4..Schimmel, Taylor, Gibbs and Slaughter) it is also Native American Appreciation game. At last count, via a tweet from Coach Walz there folks coming from 36 states to be at this game. One Native tweeted she was flying 11 hours and then driving 7 hours to be at this game. The YUM Center holds 22k +, it is not sold out yet, however, there is a big push this week to sell it out.

Reaction Score
^^^ Not only is it senior night (of which we have 4..Schimmel, Taylor, Gibbs and Slaughter) it is also Native American Appreciation game. At last count, via a tweet from Coach Walz there folks coming from 36 states to be at this game. One Native tweeted she was flying 11 hours and then driving 7 hours to be at this game. The YUM Center holds 22k +, it is not sold out yet, however, there is a big push this week to sell it out.
Wow, flying 11 hrs? The Native must be coming from China ?

jennyo70

Loo'ville Lady
Reaction Score
I have no idea where she is coming from. However, she said flying 11 hours then driving 7! Can not imagine not flying directly in to Louisville, but who knows the circumstances around the trip. Crazy.

Reaction Score
I'm a full-blood member of the Omaha Nation of Nebraska. I didn't know she was also a "Native American" until this summer. Probably because of her name.
I've traveled over a 100 miles to the sisters a couple of times this year and it was well worth it for me. I hope more "native" girls attend college and play basketball. It might be easier for them than for the boys.
It'll be interesting to see who takes her in the WNBA draft. I'll go to the WNBA games to see her as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom