Dino Babers Postgame at UConn | The Boneyard

Dino Babers Postgame at UConn

SwingDog

"THIS is the life you have"
Reaction Score
What a load of crap
So I guess you think all the positive things Babers said about UConn are insincere. That's just my guess. I will say I think he is a man who shows class, and makes sure to say something positive about the opponent, but I think it was a little more than that here.

I, for one, was encouraged to hear him say it was a much more physical game on the field than you might have gotten from the stands or on TV. He mentioned Mora's coaching, and also sighted specific players, and I don't think he was just uttering empty platitudes when he said he believes UConn is eventually going to become a good football team. I believes he genuinely believe Mora and UConn are on to something.

Reaction Score
UConn is getting better but it’s going to take sometime. Unfortunatel, it’s really hard to win with a true freshmen QB. The Cuse have a veteran SEC QB and it showed.
Syracuse used transfer portal last few years to improve.

Shrader from Miss State, back up QB from Florida.

OL starter from Florida.

WR transfers from Michigan State and Michigan, as well as FAU.

DB transfers from Rutgers and Louisville.

In this day and age, rebuilding is going to need to be achieved through the portal.

That's what knucklehead Schiano is doing at Rutgers.

No reason why UConn cannot either.

Reaction Score
Syracuse used transfer portal last few years to improve.

Shrader from Miss State, back up QB from Florida.

OL starter from Florida.

WR transfers from Michigan State and Michigan, as well as FAU.

DB transfers from Rutgers and Louisville.

In this day and age, rebuilding is going to need to be achieved through the portal.

That's what knucklehead Schiano is doing at Rutgers.

No reason why UConn cannot either.
UCONN is trying but you can’t force talent to transfer here. Coach Mora has been on record saying how important portal is but for the most part he has struck out - Guidone is only transfer player who has stood out to me.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
UCONN is trying but you can’t force talent to transfer here. Coach Mora has been on record saying how important portal is but for the most part he has struck out - Guidone is only transfer player who has stood out to me.

Bembry at LB has been solid on D. McDuffie looks like he is getting more reps and making more of an impact on D.

Reaction Score
Bembry at LB has been solid on D. McDuffie looks like he is getting more reps and making more of an impact on D.
LB Brandon Bouyer-Randle getting more involved each game as well.

Reaction Score
I don’t think you can go off of year one. He brought in a few impact transfers. He’ll certainly be chasing more. He’s also getting some commitments from guys with some size. We really need to crush the portal this year though.

Reaction Score
So I guess you think all the positive things Babers said about UConn are insincere. That's just my guess. I will say I think he is a man who shows class, and makes sure to say something positive about the opponent, but I think it was a little more than that here.

I, for one, was encouraged to hear him say it was a much more physical game on the field than you might have gotten from the stands or on TV. He mentioned Mora's coaching, and also sighted specific players, and I don't think he was just uttering empty platitudes when he said he believes UConn is eventually going to become a good football team. I believes he genuinely believe Mora and UConn are on to something.

Thanks for posting this. On tv it looked very physical.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
The transfer portal is a good thing IMO for us. Our schedule gives us an advantage over 30-40 other FBS programs. If you are a kid transferring, would you rather play for a C-USA or MAC team (none of which will likely have a shot at the 12-team playoff or play many P5 games) or us? I would rather play for us. We play a national schedule against P5 schools, top half MW schools, and service academies. That also goes for us vs. the bottom half of the AAC, MW, or Sun Belt. However, if you gave me the option to play for a top half AAC, MW, or Sun Belt team, I'm going there all day.

Reaction Score
As much as I like to say "Coaches Talk", I think he is being honest. He's had some success and also seems like a decent guy. Has a good team this year and has some good players, recruits and portal transfers. I'll give him that much.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
As much as I like to say "Coaches Talk", I think he is being honest. He's had some success and also seems like a decent guy. Has a good team this year and has some good players, recruits and portal transfers. I'll give him that much.
Oh, it is Coach speak, but there’s always positives to latch onto. It was a classy presser by Babers. He earned a little respect from me for it.

For what it’s worth, I thought Mora‘s press conference was pretty good as well. Again, there’s a ton of coach speak but I love how he gives credit and assumes blame. He just seems like a guy you’d love to play for. He’s tough and holds you accountable, but he’s always got your back in public.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
If we can pick up wins over UMass, FIU, Ball State and at least one other, I think kids will see we are on the upswing with a great schedule and we will get better portal kids. Guidone, Boyer Randall and Stafford stand out as contributors. Bembry seems to be coming along.
There will be room for more help as we will have some guys move on and some others will need to be upgraded.

Reaction Score
Oh, it is Coach speak, but there’s always positives to latch onto. It was a classy presser by Babers. He earned a little respect from me for it.

For what it’s worth, I thought Mora‘s press conference was pretty good as well. Again, there’s a ton of coach speak but I love how he gives credit and assumes blame. He just seems like a guy you’d love to play for. He’s tough and holds you accountable, but he’s always got your back in public.
I don‘t think it was coachspeak because none if wasn‘t true. It was a physical game.

SwingDog

Reaction Score
I'd like to think playing a quality schedule is another way to draw quality players, and I think we're doing that, and I'm pretty sure it's a strategy going forward.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
I'd like to think playing a quality schedule is another way to draw quality players, and I think we're doing that, and I'm pretty sure it's a strategy going forward.
This is what I've been screaming about forever. The better the schedule, the better the caliber of player that is willing to play for us. This is why (if possible) we want to play 6 P5 schools a year (3 at home, 3 away).

CL82

Reaction Score
I don‘t think it was coachspeak because none if wasn‘t true. It was a physical game.
Yeah, but Connecticut was definitely over matched. He under played that and emphasize the competitive aspects of the game. I think Coach speak can be true

SwingDog

Reaction Score
One of things I was looking for as a sign of progress was to earn the respect of our opponents. (Notice I said "opponents" because it really doesn't matter what knucklehead opposing fans think, though I would take delight in shutting them up). As far as Syracuse is concerned, at least from Coach Babers, "coach speak" aside, I think we may have achieved that last night.

SwingDog

Reaction Score
Yeah, but Connecticut was definitely over matched. He under played that and emphasize the competitive aspects of the game. I think Coach speak can be true
Well yes, we were overmatched, and no one can argue that, but you'll notice he did say he thought Schrader's best game of the two they've played was against Louisville, because (as he said, no offense to Connecticut) the Cardinals have more mature, seasoned players on defense. And when it comes to age and maturity, you are what you are. Only time, practice, and playing will rectify that, and Babers realizes that. Lest we forget, Syracuse was 5-7 in 2019 and 1-11 in 2020. That's not coach speak, that's an honest evaluation.

Reaction Score

he talked specifically about the run game and the offensive line pushing them around in the run game. We also hit their QB hard a few times.

CL82

Reaction Score
One of things I was looking for as a sign of progress was to earn the respect of our opponents. (Notice I said "opponents" because it really doesn't matter what knucklehead opposing fans think, though I would take delight in shutting them up). As far as Syracuse is concerned, at least from Coach Babers, "coach speak" aside, I think we may have achieved that last night.
Sort of agree but what would you expect him to say? “Connecticut outclassed on both sides of the ball?” He picked the things he could complement us on.

SwingDog

Reaction Score
Sort of agree but what would you expect him to say? “Connecticut outclassed on both sides of the ball?” He picked the things he could complement us on.
Sure, he did. But you'll notice some critique when he compared us to Louisville when he said their D is superior because they are more seasoned and mature. He also said he believes UConn is going to get there, they will become good. Not there yet. He didn't have to say any of those things.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom