DiMauro: Will Tina stay, or will she go? | The Boneyard

DiMauro: Will Tina stay, or will she go?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Sad to think that Tina could be unhappy in CT.

I love everything she does and stands for.

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
She is my all-time favorite player and person. I think the story says nothing about our state...it's about the situation with the SUN. Some not so good decisions were made, and some terrible injuries made things doubly miserable. She is a winner, and wants to win (at least more of the time!).

U

UCONNfan1

A number of people have complained that Donovan is not a good coach - not nearly as good as Thiebeault. But as one poster said, injuries and poor coaching have put the Sun in last place, and guaranteed them (so far) one of the top 4 draft picks. Landing Ogwumike or Thomas would be great for the Sun. If Jones is healthy for several more years and Charles stays, I think Thomas is actually a slightly better fit due to her greater versatility. But I don't follow the WNBA enough to really have an overly educated opinion. Wish Ms. Charles the best no matter what she decides...

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I think the Sun must be a tough team to play for this year - previous years, not so much. I think they have made some questionable trades and personnel moves over the years but this year it is really down to injuries - they have been ravaged. Not sure about the new coach, and wasn't all that sure of the previous one - players liked him, but the games I watched where the Sun were competitive but ended up losing, he seemed to sit starters too long and let the other team gain momentum. And a few of his personnel moves really stumped me.
For Tina ... would be sad to see her go and would be devastating for the team. But I could see her wanting a new start somewhere. She has really struggled this year with opponents able to focus defensively on her.
It is a little weird in the WNBA - free agency isn't 'all about the money' as none of these players can earn much. It really comes down to teams trying too woo players.
The other downer for the Sun is while beautiful country Eastern CT is not exactly hopping. New London and Providence I guess are the nearest cities and they aren't all that exciting either. Tina having grown up in NYC may find it just too quiet! I know Storrs is sleepy, but that was college, finite and with a built in pool of 20,000 age mates.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Did Tina sign an extension with the Sun after last season? What is her contract situation?

Reaction Score
She was unhappy with the change of coaches. Maybe if the Sun drafts a player of the caliber of a Ogwumike or Sims, she'll play next year.

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
Well, the author has achieved his goal and placed doubt in all our minds about Tina staying in CT. She may not be too happy about the way the season has gone, and I am sure her team mates aren't either. Tina and Kara are the faces of the franchise, and sadly, Kara has had injury issues this year. Tina never said she was unhappy personally in the article, but that she wishes the season was going better. I hope that the team is healthy next year, and that the Sun does everything they can to keep such a wonderful person and player right here where she has done so much. Fingers crossed!

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
The Sun management choked. The fired the best coach in the league and brought in a has-been.
Shows how one bad management move can destroy a product.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Should she stay or should she go?

mr006

Reaction Score
The Sun management choked. The fired the best coach in the league and brought in a has-been.

It's the chance you take, but after ten years, it certainly didn't look like Thibault was gonna take them to the title (and it's not looking like he is gonna do that in Washington either this year). Question is, would you rather keep a coach that gets you to the playoffs but no further, or go for a coach that hopefully will do better but might do worse? The consensus seems to be for the former.

Reaction Score
It's the chance you take, but after ten years, it certainly didn't look like Thibault was gonna take them to the title (and it's not looking like he is gonna do that in Washington either this year). Question is, would you rather keep a coach that gets you to the playoffs but no further, or go for a coach that hopefully will do better but might do worse? The consensus seems to be for the former.
Ann is not that good but has won a championship (with my Storm). Was not impressed with Ann at Seton Hall I always questioned the Sun hiring her. . Neither Ann nor Thibault is Brian Agler (Look what he is doing with the storm this year without LJ and Sue) But Ann just seems to have no answers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom