Diggins vs. Connecticut/Tennessee last couple seasons | The Boneyard

Diggins vs. Connecticut/Tennessee last couple seasons

Status
Not open for further replies.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Since the NCAA tournament in 2011, Diggins 9-1 in games against Tennessee and Connecticut. Stat lines have included:
24 points, 4 assists, 4 steals, 9-17 FG vs. Tennessee in 2011 Elite 8
28 points, 6 assists, 10-14 FG vs. UCONN in Final 4
22 points, 4 steals, 42 min against UCONN in 2012
27 points, 5 rebounds, 5 assists, 4 steals, 10-17 FG, 5-7 3pt vs. UT in 2012
20 points, 3 steals @ UCONN in 2012
16 points, 4 boards in loss @ UCONN in 2012
19 points, 4 boards, 4 assists in Final Four vs. UCONN in 2012
33 points, 5 assists, 4 steals @ Tennessee in 2013
19 points, 6 boards, 5 assists, 4 steals @ UCONN (1 point win)
29 points, 11 rebounds vs. UCONN in 2013 (triple OT win)

She has had some dismal shooting performances, but she makes huge plays/has a knack of grinding out games against UCONN unlike anyone I've ever seen before (and I don't think anyone has ever torched Tennessee in 3 consecutive games quite like Diggins has--not even Taurasi.) Has a player ever consistently dominated both Tennessee and Connecticut like Sky has?

Reaction Score
Since the NCAA tournament in 2011, Diggins 9-1 in games against Tennessee and Connecticut. Stat lines have included:
24 points, 4 assists, 4 steals, 9-17 FG vs. Tennessee in 2011 Elite 8
28 points, 6 assists, 10-14 FG vs. UCONN in Final 4
22 points, 4 steals, 42 min against UCONN in 2012
27 points, 5 rebounds, 5 assists, 4 steals, 10-17 FG, 5-7 3pt vs. UT in 2012
20 points, 3 steals @ UCONN in 2012
16 points, 4 boards in loss @ UCONN in 2012
19 points, 4 boards, 4 assists in Final Four vs. UCONN in 2012
33 points, 5 assists, 4 steals @ Tennessee in 2013
19 points, 6 boards, 5 assists, 4 steals @ UCONN (1 point win)
29 points, 11 rebounds vs. UCONN in 2013 (triple OT win)

She has had some dismal shooting performances, but she makes huge plays/has a knack of grinding out games against UCONN unlike anyone I've ever seen before (and I don't think anyone has ever torched Tennessee in 3 consecutive games quite like Diggins has--not even Taurasi.) Has a player ever consistently dominated both Tennessee and Connecticut like Sky has?

Sylvia Fowles.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Fowles went 4-5 vs. Tennessee and 1-3 vs. Connecticut. She had some monstrous games but never consistently dominated either team, nor did she find ways to grind out wins.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
She gets a lot of calls as well. That happens when you are an All American. But don't tell me she doesn't when everyone knows she gets calls that others don't

Reaction Score
She gets a lot of calls as well. That happens when you are an All American. But don't tell me she doesn't when everyone knows she gets calls that others don't
Who are you referring to, Fowles or Diggins?

Reaction Score
Fowles went 4-5 vs. Tennessee and 1-3 vs. Connecticut. She had some monstrous games but never consistently dominated either team, nor did she find ways to grind out wins.

There are far too few opportunities for teams and/or players to own a statistical advantage against UConn or Tennessee much less both of them. If based purley on wins, Then Diggins stands by herself. Not unless there are players we can find from teams like Carolina, Duke, or Stanford. Brittney Griner has played some nice games against both teams. Nnemkadi Ogwumike?

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score

Diana was 7-1 against much better Tennessee teams than Diggins has faced, including 3 Final Four wins (2 for National Championships).

• As a freshman Diana scored 12 points in a UConn win and 24 points in a Tenn win;
  • As a sophomore, Diana torched Tennessee for 32 points in a regular season win in Knoxville, and then scored 17 points, 10 rebounds, 5 assists and 2 steals in a UConn semi-final win at the Final Four;
  • As a junior, Diana scored 25 points and had 8 rebounds, 3 assists and 4 blocks in the memorable overtime game in which she made the 3 to tie the game, and then scored 28 points to lead UConn to a National Championship win over Tennessee;
  • As a senior, Diana scored 18 points, dished out 5 assists, grabbed 5 boards and 2 steals as UConn beat Tennessee in Knoxville, and then scored 17 points and led UConn to another National Championship win over Tennessee.
I don't think any player can match Diana Taurasi's record against Tennessee.

Reaction Score
She does usually get the calls that others don't, but not last night, IMO. Last night she found a way to adjust to the way the game was being called and still found a way to take control of the game. She is definitely not gracious, but she is smart, tough and driven to win.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
She is definitely not gracious, but she is smart, tough and driven to win.

That's the most accurate description of Diggins I've read on this board.

Reaction Score
I like Diggins more than most on this board, but she was nothing short of dreadful last night.

She scored 29 points on 31 shots, didn't score in any of the overtimes till the last 1:30 of the game and had 8 turnovers to boot.

She was the reason UConn should have won last night despite its 30+ turnovers.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Yeah Fowles vs Parker match ups were classic. The last time Tennessee won a put back at buzzer. I will say this about Diggins. She is a terrific player. She has elevated ND program. They were not a top ten team before she got there.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I like Diggins more than most on this board, but she was nothing short of dreadful last night.

She scored 29 points on 31 shots, didn't score in any of the overtimes till the last 1:30 of the game and had 8 turnovers to boot.

Yep. A made FT or 2 by Stewart or Faris and the big topic would've been Diggins 11 for 31 shooting and 8 turnovers. A made basket by UConn at the end of the 1st game in Storrs and the big topic would've been Diggins 4-15 shooting and 7 turnovers. They say there's a fine line between hero and goat. We saw that last night.

Reaction Score

Her stats were awful. It would be impossible to measure leadership sitting in front of a 32 inch television, but the record certainly indicates evidence of it. Kayla McBride had her moments, but her stats were not gaudy either. Still, I like her game and like to see her work the floor.

Can't you just feel the karma swing when front ends are missed? Or when chipshot field goals are shanked? When innnings get extended?

Reaction Score
Yeah Fowles vs Parker match ups were classic. The last time Tennessee won a put back at buzzer. I will say this about Diggins. She is a terrific player. She has elevated ND program. They were not a top ten team before she got there.

People much, much smarter than I am realized her potential impact immediately and installed Notre Dame as UConn's twice a season opponent.

Reaction Score
Her stats were awful. It would be impossible to measure leadership sitting in front of a 32 inch television, but the record certainly indicates evidence of it. Kayla McBride had her moments, but her stats were not gaudy either. Still, I like her game and like to see her work the floor.
Sorry, but no.

We're not talking about a 1-for-10 day here, where she just couldn't hit shots.

Diggins missed 20 field goals last night and turned the ball over 8 times...meaning she was responsible for 37% of Notre Dame's misses and 38% of its turnovers by herself.

I don't care what measurement you use - Skylar was horrible last night. As in really, really bad. Notre Dame won in spite of her performance.

Reaction Score
Sorry, but no.

We're not talking about a 1-for-10 day here, where she just couldn't hit shots.

Diggins missed 20 field goals last night and turned the ball over 8 times...meaning she was responsible for 37% of Notre Dame's misses and 38% of its turnovers by herself.

I don't care what measurement you use - Skylar was horrible last night. As in really, really bad. Notre Dame won in spite of her performance.

Hey, I agreed that Diggins stats were awful. I was in no way defending her stats, just pointing out that her stats were awful and that there was no way for me to measure her other contributions without being right there on the team. I will repeat, Diggins did not play even a good game last night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom