Digging out of the Snowstorm | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Digging out of the Snowstorm

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I understand that Creighton WBB has made it to Storrs and the game will be played tonight. Hopefully, all of the coaches can get out of their driveways to the game.

Living just north of Saratoga Springs, NY, we woke up to 30” of the white stuff. I attacked it with a 28” Ariens, but the snow was higher than the cowling on the snowblower, so I had to “submarine” the snow.

Fortunately, the discharge chute extended above the snow like a periscope. I had to make several passes, as it took me 3 times longer than usual to do the driveway and walk.

It’s still snowing lightly. I’ll probably make another run before settling in to watch the Huskies later today. Everyone stay safe.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
I think we got about 15" here, hard to tell with the drifts. Our snowblower ( a 2 year old Sears Craftsman), which we started over the weekend just to make sure it would start, didn't. So hubby and I shoveled as much of our driveway as we could before I was able to hire someone who was doing a neighbor's driveway.

We have a service contract for this machine, but the soonest Sears can get here to look at it is January 12.

Grrr.
Ha. I did the same this this weekend (knowing the storm was coming). Went over it end to end, cleaned, lubed and adjusted. Started very nicely.
Then I started it this morning and it died a minute later. Would not re-start. Grrr. But then I remembered to open the gas valve and everything was okey dokey.

I need re-training every year. :(

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Ha. I did the same this this weekend (knowing the storm was coming). Went over it end to end, cleaned, lubed and adjusted. Started very nicely.
Then I started it this morning and it died a minute later. Would not re-start. Grrr. But then I remembered to open the gas valve and everything was okey dokey.

I need re-training every year. :(
You are not alone. My gas valve is counter-intuitive about what's open and what's closed too. I think it's telling me it is time to hang it up.

Reaction Score
Typical mid Atlantic storm for us. Four inches of snow, then it turned to sleet and freezing rain so the four inches of snow packed down to two inches of ice with another inch of snow on top of it when I woke up this morning.

Reaction Score
I understand that Creighton WBB has made it to Storrs and the game will be played tonight. Hopefully, all of the coaches can get out of their driveways to the game.

Living just north of Saratoga Springs, NY, we woke up to 30” of the white stuff. I attacked it with a 28” Ariens, but the snow was higher than the cowling on the snowblower, so I had to “submarine” the snow.

Fortunately, the discharge chute extended above the snow like a periscope. I had to make several passes, as it took me 3 times longer than usual to do the driveway and walk.

It’s still snowing lightly. I’ll probably make another run before settling in to watch the Huskies later today. Everyone stay safe.
That's what you get for not being up at 0300 to do the first pass. Slacker. ;^)

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
We got mostly ice. Took half an hour to get the car cleaned up this morning, then I still had to chip more off once I got to work.

I didn't get the snow blower out, but did try to start the generator. No go. I knew enough to look in the manual before trying. Turns out the manual and the machine itself indicate opposite positions for open and closed for both the choke and the fuel valve. It was so cold (and dark) Tuesday night, I didn't have the patience to try all the combinations before giving up.

Reaction Score
Ensconced in central Wisconsin. 1/3 mile long driveway. Not so much snow the last decade. 75-100” total is a solid season. But wind chills routinely well below zero. -20F is not unusual. Had -47F during the polar vortex Feb 2019.

Winter in the south? What’s the point? You couldn’t pay me enough.

Reaction Score
You guys shouldn't complain too much. When we get snow in North Central New Mexico, I have to hitch up the tractor to a trailer truck filled six high with bales of hay. I have 2 guys that dump and spread that hay for a quarter of a mile so that the animals have food to eat. But, it is quite a sight to see Elk, wild horses and cattle all gather together and chow down.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I thought this thread was about Skylar Diggings. :)

1608352054888.png

Last edited:

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
I've lived in SoCal, Fla, SC, Southern Spain and Italy among other places. I was born in New England (northern VT) and I'll die in New England. A little snow isn't going to change that.

Fortunately, my snow blower is electric start. :)

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
I think we got about 15" here, hard to tell with the drifts. Our snowblower ( a 2 year old Sears Craftsman), which we started over the weekend just to make sure it would start, didn't. So hubby and I shoveled as much of our driveway as we could before I was able to hire someone who was doing a neighbor's driveway.

We have a service contract for this machine, but the soonest Sears can get here to look at it is January 12.

Grrr.
Fuel line shut off?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom