Did You Miss This Too | The Boneyard

Did You Miss This Too

Status
Not open for further replies.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I believe this was not posted. Stumbled into a great Dee and Geno read:

"That’s been true for 16 years. Both are headstrong, and over time, Taurasi learned to get the better of her coach.

“It’s not always easy, like with anyone like that,” Auriemma said. “Because she’s easy to coach — as long as you do everything she wants you to do. Perfect (example of) Diana Taurasi: You say, ‘Diana, what do you think about this?’ ‘I don’t know coach, you’ve been around, do what you want to do.’ So you go, ‘All right, I think we’re going to do this.’ And she goes, ‘Really? Pfft, that sucks.’”

Trust me, you'll like it.

“I am lucky,” he said, “that I got to coach her since she was 18.”

For Auriemma and Taurasi, a deep bond and fabulous career nearing its end

OBTW: Embedded video is a pure stitch D being D.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I believe this was not posted. Stumbled into a great Dee and Geno read:

"That’s been true for 16 years. Both are headstrong, and over time, Taurasi learned to get the better of her coach.

“It’s not always easy, like with anyone like that,” Auriemma said. “Because she’s easy to coach — as long as you do everything she wants you to do. Perfect (example of) Diana Taurasi: You say, ‘Diana, what do you think about this?’ ‘I don’t know coach, you’ve been around, do what you want to do.’ So you go, ‘All right, I think we’re going to do this.’ And she goes, ‘Really? Pfft, that sucks.’”

Trust me, you'll like it.

“I am lucky,” he said, “that I got to coach her since she was 18.”

For Auriemma and Taurasi, a deep bond and fabulous career nearing its end

OBTW: Embedded video is a pure stitch D being D.

I doubt there has been a coach player relationship like DT and Geno. Sveta had no issues speaking her mind in private or in the media.
Geno as tough as everyone seems to think has to be a real cat-. Yet, I think the SPECIAL Geno/DT relationship is very close to DT being a daughter.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Love it!

"[Geno] was coaching Team USA women in the U-18 qualifying tournament in Argentina in July 2000, months before Taurasi would arrive in Storrs to join his program. Taurasi was part of the team. After three blowout wins in the preliminary round, Auriemma knew that the U.S.’s semifinal opponent, Brazil, would be its toughest opponent.

“The first (few) games, it’s six points, eight points, 10 points, whatever it was,” Auriemma said. “She was just having fun, loving life. Right before the semifinal game, it was Brazil, I said, ‘Look, Dee, no more screwing around. We need 30. I’m not leaving this up to chance. OK?’”

Thirty points? Taurasi nodded. But, Auriemma said, “She screwed up. She had 26. That’s when I went, OK! She is like a great racehorse where you just go tap, tap, tap, tap, tap, then you go, ‘OK, we gotta go now.’ Unbelievable.”

And this from Geno:

“There have been great players who, mentally, are at a level above everyone else,” Auriemma said. “And there have been great players who, physically, were at a level above everyone else. And there have been guys who have had a bigger heart and had a greater will. How many do you know who have all three? They’re the smartest guy on the floor every time they step out on the floor, they’re the most competitive player and they’re the most skilled guy.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom