OT: Did Vontaze Burfict really try to decapitate a guy in a preseason game? | The Boneyard

OT: Did Vontaze Burfict really try to decapitate a guy in a preseason game?

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
He's a freakin menace.

I'll find gif

Edit: blindsind more than decapitate, but still a menace

Reaction Score
Geez - in the old days it was standard to make a guy pay coming across your zone. It's kind of crazy that recievers are allowed to come across without having a head on the swivel, then draw a defenseless flag for getting popped for not paying attention. Just part of the defanging of the game.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Geez - in the old days it was standard to make a guy pay coming across your zone. It's kind of crazy that recievers are allowed to come across without having a head on the swivel, then draw a defenseless flag for getting popped for not paying attention. Just part of the defanging of the game.

Odd... I've watched a lot of football in my life and don't recall too many hits like this where the guy isn't in the play AND it's a freaking pre-season game.

Yeah, a lot of receivers get blasted coming across once they've made an attempt to catch the ball. In this case, all the QB had to do was throw it in the receivers direction for an automatic PI. Which is why you don't see that happen often.

Burfict is on the verge of not being supported by the NFLPA due to his constant endangering of fellow union mates. There is something definitely wrong with the guy.

Reaction Score
Odd... I've watched a lot of football in my life and don't recall too many hits like this where the guy isn't in the play AND it's a freaking pre-season game.

Yeah, a lot of receivers get blasted coming across once they've made an attempt to catch the ball. In this case, all the QB had to do was throw it in the receivers direction for an automatic PI. Which is why you don't see that happen often.

Burfict is on the verge of not being supported by the NFLPA due to his constant endangering of fellow union mates. There is something definitely wrong with the guy.
It's football, totally legal hit.

Reaction Score
The hit was a blind side cheep shot at best. Legal...not sure, but damn well sure it would not garner respect from fellow players.
Sherman was hit 9 yards from the QB after a three step drop back on a shotgun snap. The pass was far from QB body language going short, it was a back arch that went 35 yards down field.
5 game suspension speaks for itself, sad one would continue on the path he has........

Reaction Score

We used to go back into games after sniffing some smelling salt. The game has changed and not in a bad way.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Burfict is a piece of excrement. I don't want to hear how it used to be different. I was around for Tatum and those guys. This scumbag intends to injure. Over and over again he tries to hurt opposing players.

Reaction Score
The hit was a blind side cheep shot at best. Legal...not sure, but damn well sure it would not garner respect from fellow players.
Sherman was hit 9 yards from the QB after a three step drop back on a shotgun snap. The pass was far from QB body language going short, it was a back arch that went 35 yards down field.
5 game suspension speaks for itself, sad one would continue on the path he has...

For all of the things that he's done, this one is pretty innocuous. The hit was at the line of scrimmage, with the shoulder. It doesn't fall under the defenseless player rule as he did not lead with or make contact with the head and was not airborne at impact. It could warrant an unnecessary roughness penalty if an official determines that they are clearly out of the play, but no other player in the league gets suspended for that hit. He's a punk and I don't have much sympathy, but the suspension is all about reputation.

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
That hit was on Anthony Sherman
Really? Well, sh it then, guy should be banned for life.
It's football, totally legal hit.

That is the type of try hard cheap shot you see between 2 rookies in a preseason game. There is a code though, amongst 99.99% of all vets.

The fact that Burfict is pulling this kind of crap on a vet, and as a vet himself, just shows what a POS he is. No place in the game for these types of legal hits.

Reaction Score
We used to go back into games after sniffing some smelling salt. The game has changed and not in a bad way.
So true... I'm not sure I agree that the game hasn't changed in a bad way, but I suspect it is a necessity due to the massive increase in size, speed and strength of the players even compared to 90's, , let alone the 80's. Of course, the game is meant to be violent. I still say there is no such thing as a defenseless player, just ones that aren't smart enough to know what's around them. If the whistle hasn't blown, the entire field is in play. Every player is still relevant as a blocker or tackler on an extended play or turnover. Its nonsense that you cant take out a player away from the immediate proximity of the action with a frontal hit.

Reaction Score
So true... I'm not sure I agree that the game hasn't changed in a bad way, but I suspect it is a necessity due to the massive increase in size, speed and strength of the players even compared to 90's, , let alone the 80's. Of course, the game is meant to be violent. I still say there is no such thing as a defenseless player, just ones that aren't smart enough to know what's around them. If the whistle hasn't blown, the entire field is in play. Every player is still relevant as a blocker or tackler on an extended play or turnover. Its nonsense that you cant take out a player away from the immediate proximity of the action with a frontal hit.

But that's not what the rule says . . . it doesn't say that you can't touch a defenseless player.

Reaction Score
Not even close to legal, not sure what you are seeing.
Not even close to legal, not sure what you are seeing.
1. Play was live.
2. The Receiver was in route coming off the line.
3. The ball was just released at the time of the hit.
4. The hit was delivered chest high frontally.
5. The hit was delivered within about 1.5 steps (one stride and skip step with the shoulder).
6. There was another receiver crossing and clearing through the zone underneath to the flat (which he would be responsible for as well and the receiver impeded his movement in that direction.
7. What if the QB pulled the ball down and squirted out to his left. That LB was responsible for QB contain after releasing the receiver .
8. The Receiver never even looked at the field of play and his head was locked on the QB the entire way.

It was a notably aggressive, but fundamentally legal play.

Reaction Score
Screen Shot 2017-08-29 at 11.55.08 AM.png

Moment of impact. Shoulder to chest, feet on ground. Not a violation of the defenseless player rule. That said, a hit can be by definition legal but still a cheap shot. I think that applies here.

Reaction Score
It was a cheap shot, pure and simple. Sherman was just watching the ball go downfield. He wasn't part of the play. And Burfict lines him up and deliver a a blow at full speed.

It was a legal hit but you can't just line guys up and hit them full force if they are not part of the play. It like hitting a QB long after he has thrown it.

Reaction Score
View attachment 24432

Moment of impact. Shoulder to chest, feet on ground. Not a violation of the defenseless player rule. That said, a hit can be by definition legal but still a cheap shot. I think that applies here.

What are you talking about? The ball was thrown downfield. He's out of the play and can't protect himself because Burfict is coming from his blind spot. Are you digging for attention or do you really have no idea what's going on? Look up the definition of a defenseless receiver. Even the snapshot you posted shows Burficts shoulder going into the "neck area" of a defenseless player whose head is turned the other direction.

Reaction Score
What are you talking about? The ball was thrown downfield. He's out of the play and can't protect himself because Burfict is coming from his blind spot. Are you digging for attention or do you really have no idea what's going on? Look up the definition of a defenseless receiver. Even the snapshot you posted shows Burficts shoulder going into the "neck area" of a defenseless player whose head is turned the other direction.

There are two elements of the defenseless player rule -- the player being defenseless, and the type of prohibited contact. That is not "contact to the head or neck area", he is clearly leading with his shoulder, and his feet are clearly on the ground at the time of impact.

See Tony Gonzalez's description here -- "yes, it's legal, but it's dirty" (2:05). That's exactly what I've said. Legal, even under the revised rules, but a cheap shot. The two aren't mutually exclusive.

Lastly, save me the sanctimonious b.s. If you're going to be a D!&$, come with something other than "me no like hit". Read and comprehend before you respond.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
In the regular season? This hit is fine. In the preseason this is clearly unnecessary.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom