Did they change the intentional grounding rule? | The Boneyard

Did they change the intentional grounding rule?

Reaction Score
I watched the Oklahoma game and it was called on the Sooners. The announcers were talking about there being no player near the throw. But the call was changed when the QB was ruled outside the tackle box. I thought that as long as the QB was outside the tackle box and threw the ball beyond the LOS there was no intentional grounding.

Then I watched the UConn game. Near the start of the second half IG was called on the Huskies. The announcers once again talked about there being no receiver near the ball. But Evers was clearly outside of the tackle box, hell, he was outside the TE. The ball was also well beyond the line of scrimmage. But the penalty was marked off.

Anyone know the rule? Was it changed? In the old days you had to throw the ball at or in the area of a receiver. For years now, the rule has been outside the tackle box and beyond the LOS . No receiver had to be in the area.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Pretty poor officiating for our game - good doses of home cooking.

Not that it benefited us, but the Evers last play was called a late hit - it was literally in process of being tackled.

Reaction Score
The announcers were terrible, I would have believed the opposite of everything they said. They didn’t even notice the fumble in the first quarter in real time. They were clearly B1G announcers, and team at that.

Reaction Score
I watched the Oklahoma game and it was called on the Sooners. The announcers were talking about there being no player near the throw. But the call was changed when the QB was ruled outside the tackle box. I thought that as long as the QB was outside the tackle box and threw the ball beyond the LOS there was no intentional grounding.

Then I watched the UConn game. Near the start of the second half IG was called on the Huskies. The announcers once again talked about there being no receiver near the ball. But Evers was clearly outside of the tackle box, hell, he was outside the TE. The ball was also well beyond the line of scrimmage. But the penalty was marked off.

Anyone know the rule? Was it changed? In the old days you had to throw the ball at or in the area of a receiver. For years now, the rule has been outside the tackle box and beyond the LOS . No receiver had to be in the area.
In another game, an announcer stated that the pass has to pass the line of scrimmage but not necessarily in the field of play. In other words, the throw could be behind the line of scrimmage when it goes out of bounces but if it passes the line of scrimmage when it lands in the stands there is no intentional grounding. I never heard that interpretation of the rule.

ZOOCONN

the drive to win has to come from within
Reaction Score

I was wondering this myself at the game, I said how the hell is that IG? He was way out of the tackle box and the ball went way past the LOS. I was/ am lost on that call.

Reaction Score
In another game, an announcer stated that the pass has to pass the line of scrimmage but not necessarily in the field of play. In other words, the throw could be behind the line of scrimmage when it goes out of bounces but if it passes the line of scrimmage when it lands in the stands there is no intentional grounding. I never heard that interpretation of the rule.

I have. That is the way the rule has been for a long time. Be nice if one of the reporters asked about this at the next press availability. They won't.

Reaction Score
Last edited:
Reaction Score
Watching it live, I thought it was an awful call. But I think it was the correct call because of the flea flicker.

Reaction Score
I have. That is the way the rule has been for a long time. Be nice if one of the reporters asked about this at the next press availability. They won't.
Thank you for the info! I never knew that was the rule.

Reaction Score
I was wondering this myself at the game, I said how the hell is that IG? He was way out of the tackle box and the ball went way past the LOS. I was/ am lost on that call.
Those calls are only against us.

Reaction Score
Thank you for the info! I never knew that was the rule.

Joe Madden once said that the line of scrimmage goes around the world. It doesn't matter if the ball crosses the line of scrimmage out of bounds as long as it crosses and if the QB is outside the tackle box -- no IG.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom