Did the circadian rhythm play a role in UCONN loss to Arizona? | The Boneyard

Did the circadian rhythm play a role in UCONN loss to Arizona?

Reaction Score
The circadian rhythm regulates sleep-wake cycles and repeats every 24 hours. It is endogenous but is adjusted to the local environment by external cues such as light, temperature, and something called redox cycles which is a type of chemical reactionin which the oxidation states of atoms are changed (see wikipedia) . This is relevant to the UCONN - Arizona semifinal game in several ways. First, being a West Coast time zone location, a 9:30pm start (Eastern time) is the equivalent of 6:30 pm for Arizona compared to 9:30 for UCONN as an East Coast time zone 3hours ahead of the West Coast time zone. Second, because of the isolation of the teams in the "bubble" there were fewer environmental cues to allow for adjustment to the time change for UCONN. Several coaches have described the relative lack of opportunity to be outside except while transitioning from dorm to gym and back. I am not a sleep expert, but it is a safe assumption that UCONN was less adjusted to a late game start (9:30 pm) than Arizona, and thus more susceptible to fatigue and lack of focus and mental sharpness. Relatively speaking, it was clear which team looked more energetic and focused. This is perhaps a factor to take into account when the ESPN's of the world schedule games this late in the day. As teenagers and young adults are in even greater need of proper sleep than adults, a team with 7 freshmen is going to be even more impacted by disrupted sleep cycles. Food for thought.

Reaction Score
That only applies if the teams playing have been on a different time zone shedule. All the teams had been on that time zone for some time so that should not have had much of an effect except for perhaps the firs and secound round games.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Good thing that never happened in previous Tournaments...where an East Coast team had to go to the West Coast for their games.

Reaction Score
That only applies if the teams playing have been on a different time zone shedule. All the teams had been on that time zone for some time so that should not have had much of an effect except for perhaps the firs and secound round games.
Correct under ordinary conditions, but living in a bubble for two weeks diminishes the "cues" the body needs to make adjustments to the sleep cycle. In response suggesting teenagers love being up past 9 pm. that is no doubt true but that does not mean they are as functional at that times as they are earlier in the day. In fact, they are not.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
The circadian rhythm regulates sleep-wake cycles and repeats every 24 hours. It is endogenous but is adjusted to the local environment by external cues such as light, temperature, and something called redox cycles which is a type of chemical reactionin which the oxidation states of atoms are changed (see wikipedia) . This is relevant to the UCONN - Arizona semifinal game in several ways. First, being a West Coast time zone location, a 9:30pm start (Eastern time) is the equivalent of 6:30 pm for Arizona compared to 9:30 for UCONN as an East Coast time zone 3hours ahead of the West Coast time zone. Second, because of the isolation of the teams in the "bubble" there were fewer environmental cues to allow for adjustment to the time change for UCONN. Several coaches have described the relative lack of opportunity to be outside except while transitioning from dorm to gym and back. I am not a sleep expert, but it is a safe assumption that UCONN was less adjusted to a late game start (9:30 pm) than Arizona, and thus more susceptible to fatigue and lack of focus and mental sharpness. Relatively speaking, it was clear which team looked more energetic and focused. This is perhaps a factor to take into account when the ESPN's of the world schedule games this late in the day. As teenagers and young adults are in even greater need of proper sleep than adults, a team with 7 freshmen is going to be even more impacted by disrupted sleep cycles. Food for thought.
Interesting post. I'll be a contrarian to the contrarians and agree it is food for thought.

Reactions: mmt
Reaction Score
I'm feeling pretty good that this is sarcasm, but damn does it feel that way sometimes.

Reaction Score
While all is in good fun, the replies do suggest at how difficult it can be to have a serious, as in science based, discussion

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
While all is in good fun, the replies do suggest at how difficult it can be to have a serious, as in science based, discussion
the problem here bub, where so few actually play the game, is the complete lack of awareness for mundane and sundry realities that categorically can dramatically affect the outcome. things like temp, humidity, dryness, time of game, o2 content of the air, and such, go wholly unnoticed by an audience knowing only that the ball is round, the floor is usually light colored hardwood, and the baskets look exactly the same, as they see it on the tv screen from their couch, with a bowl of chips beside them.
'i don't see nuthin different than usual...'
(this past clock change was the first time in my entire life that i noticed and viscerally felt my surrounding population acting out of 'rhythm,' for lack of a better word. in retrospect, it made sense as everyone's clock changed with the new 'covid' pace of life -duh,- and then the regular spring ahead clock change piling on. weird. noticeable, obvious, mebbe even predictable, but still, weird.)

Last edited:
Reaction Score

let’s see oh there are only thousands upon thousands of games held late at night.
and based on one data point (UConn lost) there must be an issue. Come back with a few more data points and then maybe we can have a “science” discussion.

Reaction Score
In response to Vowelguy, there is in fact a very large body of knowledge regarding sleep in all its manifestations. Some of this is relevant to this discussion. The word discussion refers to a group (indefinite size but more than 1) talking about an issue of mutual interest in order to share ideas, clarifications, and experience. My initial comment is meant to initiate a discussion, not provide conclusions. For those wanting to learn and share, the opportunity is still present. Those who prefer sarcasm will soon move on to their next target.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
You are probably right. I was blaming syncopated rhythm, but that really didn’t make any sense at all.

Reaction Score
Only if they were making music, although they were not as "tuned in" as usual.

Reaction Score
The wildcat is a nocturnal creature, so this theory does explain the UCONN loss.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom