Did the Big East and TCU Settle? | The Boneyard

Did the Big East and TCU Settle?

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
This is probably a question directed more to our legal members, but all are welcome to chime in, of course. The lawsuit that the Big East had brought against TCU has been dropped, but I'm not sure I fully understand the language. If I'm reading this right, it appears that a settlement was reached behind closed doors for an undisclosed sum of money:

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/07/18/big-east-drops-its-lawsuit-against-tcu/

I would think this means that if there was a settlement, it was less than 5 million dollars. Is it normal not to disclose that information? Is the non-disclosure a part of the settlement agreement? I also wonder if we'll ever find out in the not-so-near future how much it was.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Impossible to say for sure, but likely the case was settled for some amount of money, for less than the 5 million. It's confidential because they don't want us to know that Villanova gets all the money to finance its upgrade to FBS.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
It's confidential because they don't want us to know that Villanova gets all the money to finance its upgrade to FBS.

God help us! That multi-million dollar Nova deal bothers the hell out of me. What a great Big East partner we have there in Philly...

Reaction Score
Withdrawal fees of $40 million now, 20 from WVU, 7.5 each from Syr and Pitt and 5 from TCU.

Should help to make up some of the shortfall there will be between the NBE TV contract and the TV deals of the Power 5.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Hmmn, three quick settlements? Is something up? Does the BE feel good about it's future finances?

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
"Joe Bailey, Big East Interim Commisioner" shrugged his shoulders and said, "OK we'll take it. Pssst! What are we taking and why?"

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I think the "and why" might be giving him too much credit. After all he is only the interim commissioner.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Withdrawal fees of $40 million now, 20 from WVU, 7.5 each from Syr and Pitt and 5 from TCU.

Should help to make up some of the shortfall there will be between the NBE TV contract and the TV deals of the Power 5.
What's the Vig on that?

Reaction Score
Hmmn, three quick settlements? Is something up? Does the BE feel good about it's future finances?

TCU paid up. That's all. TCU had no case so they just paid up. I am sure BE settled for $5M plus whatever legal fees it incurred for the lawsuit.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
It's so odd to me that TCU settled by paying the full 5M. So in the end, what did they gain? Just the decision in the court to say that "no party admits fault"?? They just cost themselves lawyer's fees and court fees, I would imagine, for nothing at all. Maybe the Big East leadership is turning that corner!! :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom