Did the AAC help its case for Power Six status | The Boneyard

Did the AAC help its case for Power Six status

Reaction Score
Can't stand any more Hurley, etc. speculation so I thought this question might take our minds off it for awhile.

Just as we did in the Old Big East, my wife and I were rooting for the AAC teams to do well and show the world that we really have something going in our new league. Not quite, it seems.

Just my thought, but going 2 and 3 with the fairly high seeds the conference was given has to hurt the league's image going into next season and for seeding in the 2019 tournament. The league, since Louisville in 2013 and UConn in 2014, really hasn't shown much in post season play that would improve its reputation and enhance its ability to recruit, improve its TV rights deals, etc.

Reaction Score
Can't stand any more Hurley, etc. speculation so I thought this question might take our minds off it for awhile.

Just as we did in the Old Big East, my wife and I were rooting for the AAC teams to do well and show the world that we really have something going in our new league. Not quite, it seems.

Just my thought, but going 2 and 3 with the fairly high seeds the conference was given has to hurt the league's image going into next season and for seeding in the 2019 tournament. The league, since Louisville in 2013 and UConn in 2014, really hasn't shown much in post season play that would improve its reputation and enhance its ability to recruit, improve its TV rights deals, etc.
Depends on how you define P6. There already is one in basketball and it isn't the AAC. It is the NBE.

The Pac 12 won't be down forever.

Reaction Score
Depends on how you define P6. There already is one in basketball and it isn't the AAC. It is the NBE.

There is no Power6 in basketball.

Always fun reading people try and incorporate football lingo into basketball.

Power is soley about major bowl tie-ins and autonomy. Those are legit disparities the AAC needs to work on. It's not a tag that has anything to do with competition.

In basketball there is High, Middle, and Low major. The AAC is in the upper strata. The middle conferences need an upset in the conference tourney to get an extra bid.

Reaction Score
There is no Power6 in basketball.

Always fun reading people try and incorporate football lingo into basketball.

Power is soley about major bowl tie-ins and autonomy.

In basketball there is High, Middle, and Low major. The AAC is in the upper strata. The middle conferences need an upset in the conference tourney to get an extra bid.
Semantics at best.

Reaction Score
Semantics at best.

No. If you followed the development of the CFP and 'Autonomy', you'll know when and where the term power came from.

It's not a tag that fans can bestow or reporters. It's legislative.

Reaction Score
Nothing says national recognition quite like a # and a desktop wallpaper.

13781816_G.jpg

Reaction Score

There is actually considered to be seven, and the AAC is included in it.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
No.

The question to ask is are we a legit basketball conferene, defined as getting the benefit of the doubt for our middle tier teams.

Alternatively, are we better than the C7 BE?

After getting 3 of 11 teams in with two wins and no teams in the final 16. The answer to both questions is, "no".

Call back when we are getting 5/6 in with 2 making deep runs.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
I've seen multiple references on Twitter/ESPN/CBS/Other outlets in the last few weeks to the "Major" conferences with AAC ACC B1G Big XII Big East SEC PAC12 listed.

To be completely honest I'm of the opinion that your tournament record does absolutely zilch for the "respect" for the league. Nobody is claiming the Missouri Valley to be great because Loyola is in the Sweet 16. Nobody is saying the ACC isn't a "Major" league because their regular season and tournament champion lost to UMBC.

Reaction Score
AAC Football has made a legit push towards power 6 credibility.

AAC basketball has a ways to go.

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score
No.

The question to ask is are we a legit basketball conferene, defined as getting the benefit of the doubt for our middle tier teams.

Alternatively, are we better than the C7 BE?

After getting 3 of 11 teams in with two wins and no teams in the final 16. The answer to both questions is, "no".

Call back when we are getting 5/6 in with 2 making deep runs.

The NBE managed just one sweet 16 team and is 5-5 overall -- only marginally better than the AAC (though that Wichita State loss looks awful).

Reaction Score
AAC Football has made a legit push towards power 6 credibility.

AAC basketball has a ways to go.

Finishing with 3 AAC programs ranked in the Top 25 for both FB and MBB is pretty decent... but, the ceiling is well beyond that.

The steps that Memphis and UConn are taking in basketball coaching are important for the conference.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom