Did Moving The 3-Point Line Back Make A Difference In Women’s College Basketball? | The Boneyard

Did Moving The 3-Point Line Back Make A Difference In Women’s College Basketball?

Reaction Score
Great article on stats. Thanks for sharing. It is totally understandable to see a little dip as folks adapt to the new distance. I do like the increased cuts to the basket which are entertaining to audiences.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
Yes, Different makes a Difference.

Reaction Score
Great analysis, I was curious as to the effect of moving the line back. The old line was basically an old school mid-range jumper. If you're going to give 3 points for a shot, make it worth it. On that note, I'm all for the Clark logo distance threes being worth at least 4!

Reaction Score
Great analysis, I was curious as to the effect of moving the line back. The old line was basically an old school mid-range jumper. If you're going to give 3 points for a shot, make it worth it. On that note, I'm all for the Clark logo distance threes being worth at least 4!
538 dies some fabulous sports research. That is Nate Silver’s influence.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
A lot of interesting info in that article. What really jumped out at me is the graph showing the increase in % of total shots coming from behind the line. I don't necessarily love the philosophy of throwing up as many 3's as you can, but it's definitely trending that way.

Reaction Score
I was hoping they would provide some analysis this season. The breakdown was awesome.

I was glad to see the line moved back in the first place. It seems like the idea is working. The increase in the number of shot attempts was much higher than I thought it would be though.

Reaction Score
One of the reasons Geno favored this move is because he wanted to see a greater emphasis on playmaking, passing and cutting to the basket. (Isn't this what we all love about women's basketball?) I'd like to see how the number of assists per game, relative to 3-point attempts per game, has been affected since the line move.

And he also favors having the women use the same size basketball as the men, although that has met with some resistance. A few years ago, UConn used a men's size basketball for a pre-season game, and they still scored over 90 points in the game. Hey, women have the strength, stamina, agility and shooting eye accuracy for this game. (Wasn't that long ago that women were banned from running in a marathon, because the "experts" thought it was too much for them.) They now play on the same size court, in all its dimensions (height and circumference of basket, size of lane, 3-point line, etc.). Why not the same size ball?

Dogstar

Of course I'm Sirius
Reaction Score
One of the reasons Geno favored this move is because he wanted to see a greater emphasis on playmaking, passing and cutting to the basket. (Isn't this what we all love about women's basketball?) I'd like to see how the number of assists per game, relative to 3-point attempts per game, has been affected since the line move.

And he also favors having the women use the same size basketball as the men, although that has met with some resistance. A few years ago, UConn used a men's size basketball for a pre-season game, and they still scored over 90 points in the game. Hey, women have the strength, stamina, agility and shooting eye accuracy for this game. (Wasn't that long ago that women were banned from running in a marathon, because the "experts" thought it was too much for them.) They now play on the same size court, in all its dimensions (height and circumference of basket, size of lane, 3-point line, etc.). Why not the same size ball?
Maybe bcus their average hand size and or length is substantially smaller thn male players?

Reaction Score

My mother played basketball in the days when there were offensive and defensive players on both sides of the court. Isn’t there a state somewhere that only recently abandoned that version of the game? Iowa maybe?

Reaction Score
My mother played basketball in the days when there were offensive and defensive players on both sides of the court. Isn’t there a state somewhere that only recently abandoned that version of the game? Iowa maybe?

Iowa had the six-on-six game until 1994. They were the last state to get rid of it.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
My mom played when they only played half court WBB in high school. (George Washington HS in NYC)

Reaction Score
Maybe bcus their average hand size and or length is substantially smaller thn male players?
Are you suggesting that the rim in the women's game should be a little lower? Or maybe the keys on a piano should be a little smaller for a female pianist. C'mon, this is the age of Title IX.

geordi

Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel
Reaction Score
I'd love to see this research extended to overall scoring. The difference between the percentage of shots between 19-20 and 20-21 is only .57%. That amounts to perhaps 1 1/2 points per game (both teams) coming from 3s. Does that open the court sufficiently so that the number of points scored overall is up by more than that because of more cuts, passes, and less double teaming post players?

Dogstar

Of course I'm Sirius
Reaction Score
Are you suggesting that the rim in the women's game should be a little lower? Or maybe the keys on a piano should be a little smaller for a female pianist. C'mon, this is the age of Title IX.
Not suggesting lowering rims, I specifically spoke on ball size, now if you can convince me tht the average hand size of a woman is equal to tht of the average man thn I may say you've changed my opinion on tht particular matter, different Anatomy, as far as pianist, I know nothing about tht so I'll assume ur right bcus you know wht ur talking about. Right?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom