Did Kelsey Plum Invent a New Move? | The Boneyard

Did Kelsey Plum Invent a New Move?

Reaction Score
Probably in her last game, but possibly in the game before, Kelsey Plum did something I've never seen. And she did it twice, once going left and once right. Granted, I watch very little men's basketball of any type these days, so maybe it's not all that new.

She started a drive from the top of the key. Defender with her, doing a pretty good job of staying in front, but backpedaling. Plum then came to a halt as if to go up for a jumper from maybe twelve feet out. At first glance it appeared that both of her hands were on the ball, which was a little above her waist in front of her. The defender braked and started to go up for the block.

But Plum had never put a second hand on the ball, never giving up her dribble. She just sidestepped the defender and continued on in for an easy layup. The refs were not fooled, it was not a travel, just a brilliant play. Anybody ever seen this before?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Sounds like she did a euro step. Yea Kelsey is good like that and left handed which makes it extra hard on the defender.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
Probably in her last game, but possibly in the game before, Kelsey Plum did something I've never seen. And she did it twice, once going left and once right. Granted, I watch very little men's basketball of any type these days, so maybe it's not all that new.

She started a drive from the top of the key. Defender with her, doing a pretty good job of staying in front, but backpedaling. Plum then came to a halt as if to go up for a jumper from maybe twelve feet out. At first glance it appeared that both of her hands were on the ball, which was a little above her waist in front of her. The defender braked and started to go up for the block.

But Plum had never put a second hand on the ball, never giving up her dribble. She just sidestepped the defender and continued on in for an easy layup. The refs were not fooled, it was not a travel, just a brilliant play. Anybody ever seen this before?

James Harden (NBA)
Manu Ginobliu (NBA)
Penny Taylor (WNBA)

Reaction Score
No, not a Eurostep. It was hesitating by pretending to grab the ball with two hands and go up for a jumper, but in reality keeping her dribble alive. I couldn't find a video, but will look again.

Reaction Score
it is a stop and go move. . . a fundamental basketball move which is rare, but I have seen it for 20 years

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Probably in her last game, but possibly in the game before, Kelsey Plum did something I've never seen.

Was the move like this?

Or did it look like this?

Reaction Score
It's a hesitation like the first one, except that she added in pretending to grab the ball with two hands to go up for a shot. This still image was grabbed from the Pac-12 video of the Utah-Washington game (It's right about 10 minutes into the video if you can get it). It's actually the big on the right that is guarding her. At this point only her right hand is on the ball, there's a big delay, and then she blows around the defender to the left.

PlumMove.jpg

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I remember that play. I wasn't quite sure how she did it w/out carrying or palming the ball or however that is referred to currently. It did seem like a long delay.

If she gets a big switched on her away from the basket, it's like shooting fish in a barrel. It's pretty much a given she'll freeze the defender and blow past them.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I remember that play. I wasn't quite sure how she did it w/out carrying or palming the ball or however that is referred to currently. It did seem like a long delay.

If she gets a big switched on her away from the basket, it's like shooting fish in a barrel. It's pretty much a given she'll freeze the defender and blow past them.
I didn't see it, but if it's as described it sounds as if it can't be done with plaming the ball. But, I mean Jordan lived off the 3 steps to the hoop move so....

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Was the move like this?

Or did it look like this?

Crystal Dangerfield tried that stop and go move against Baylor early in the year and tried to go underneath Cox, but had her shot partially blocked before the time clock went off. She was actually fouled by Cox but it wasn't called. So we know it's in her repertoire.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I didn't see it, but if it's as described it sounds as if it can't be done with plaming the ball.

I think refs have gotten fairly liberal in what they let ballhandlers get away w/ currently, you hardly ever see palming called any more it seems to me.

Reaction Score
Here. Cue it up to around the 2:17 mark. Fakes putting a second hand on the ball before continuing on.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
If the defender has quick hands, it should be reasonably easy to tip the ball.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score

Yes. Not sure if it has a name, but just a hesitation with head/body fake to sell the defender on the jump shot, while still keeping the dribble alive in order to set up the blow-by. Plum gives a master class at the change-of-pace and hesitation moves.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
It is interesting because I think she is more deliberately bringing her second hand into 'catch' position than I have seen other players do which helps sell the idea of a stop and pop, before dribbling again and blowing by. In the first Jefferson video above her off hand comes up in a similar way, but not as deliberately. So yes, I would say Plum has created a neat refinement of the move that helps sell it even more. And it really is not a 'carry' it is just a very high dribble.

And yes, with the high dribble a really quick defender might be able to tip the ball, but not many players would expect it or be quick enough to respond so I don't think it is 'dangerous' in terms of possibly turning the ball over.

Reaction Score
This hesitation/shot fake is quite common in today's game and called the "hands up" move.

Yep, that's it. I'd never seen it before since I've mostly thrown in the towel on men's basketball.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom