Did I Miss the Memo or Zoom Meeting on HF's? | The Boneyard

Did I Miss the Memo or Zoom Meeting on HF's?

Bajan Best

Decades of Excellence = Legendary
Reaction Score
Is it just me or has anyone else noticed the growing lack of use of the simple Head Fake on our team and several other teams this year? So many times I've watched our players especially, try to just beat defenders to the rim with speed or aggression alone and end up getting their shots blocked.

With the looming possibility of facing Stanford or South Carolina in the finals, (that is providing we get past Arizona), This could be a key element in the outcome of the game. Very seldom do we get opposing players into serious foul trouble, and this I believe is one of the main reasons why. We have a tendency of avoiding contact when taking shots. I would rather going forward, see their bigs sitting on the sideline than ours.. Our success may depend upon it this coming weekend.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I have been wondering about this for the last three seasons. I totally agree with you.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Interesting observation. I will have to watch for it.

Reaction Score
It's a result of the AAU syndrome that gets talked about. Less formal coaching and more traveling to games. Players are not savvy today. It's one treason the mens game just looks like players flying around the rim. There are numerous options around the rim: use of both hands, hook shots, pump fakes, jump stops, jump stops and pump fakes, euro step (didn't have when I played.
Coaches can choose to practice all of these moves. Then players develop a repertoire of moves they are comfortable with. Definitely one reason for so many missed layups. Pickup basketball and one-on-one play help players develop an assortment of moves.
Nowadays kids only play organized games. Somehow Paige has developed such an assortment of moves! Incredible.
Michigan lost yesterday partly because their bigs could not finish. The left-handed freshman could only go left.

Reaction Score
Is it just me or has anyone else noticed the growing lack of use of the simple Head Fake on our team and several other teams this year? So many times I've watched our players especially, try to just beat defenders to the rim with speed or aggression alone and end up getting their shots blocked.

With the looming possibility of facing Stanford or South Carolina in the finals, (that is providing we get past Arizona), This could be a key element in the outcome of the game. Very seldom do we get opposing players into serious foul trouble, and this I believe is one of the main reasons why. We have a tendency of avoiding contact when taking shots. I would rather going forward, see their bigs sitting on the sideline than ours.. Our success may depend upon it this coming weekend.
The most recent person I can remember who used head fakes was Saniya and Shea was a master with them.

But I have wondered for a while as well why UConn players don’t go into opposing players bodies. Is there more chance at injury?

Reaction Score

As I recall watching games in the post Stewie era, a lot of times UConn players get called for traveling when they head fake because they move their feet before the ball after the fake. Nowadays, most young players use the jab step rather than a head fake to get a defender off balance or to gain space.

Reaction Score
As I recall watching games in the post Stewie era, a lot of times UConn players get called for traveling when they head fake because they move their feet before the ball after the fake. Nowadays, most young players use the jab step rather than a head fake to get a defender off balance or to gain space.
Jab step is required when you face up on a defender. It gives the offensive player 3 options: shot, jab shot, drive to either side, or jab drive to either side. It is commonly called "triple threat".
Pump fake is a required move inside, especially to gain an advantage on the defense. The defender leaves their feet and when they come back down, they are flat-footed, and the offensive player can go back up aggressively. Advantage to quick jumpers in these situations. Main reason Mir can operate low even though she's only 5'11". Defenders are better served when they jump straight up and they have their arms straight up, so as not to initiate contact.
They are both essential moves for ANY basketball player. They can be practiced until they become second-nature. Traveling is not a natural consequence of a pump fake.

Reaction Score
Lets Go Reaction GIF by Bounce

Reaction Score
Jab step is required when you face up on a defender. It gives the offensive player 3 options: shot, jab shot, drive to either side, or jab drive to either side. It is commonly called "triple threat".
Pump fake is a required move inside, especially to gain an advantage on the defense. The defender leaves their feet and when they come back down, they are flat-footed, and the offensive player can go back up aggressively. Advantage to quick jumpers in these situations. Main reason Mir can operate low even though she's only 5'11". Defenders are better served when they jump straight up and they have their arms straight up, so as not to initiate contact.
They are both essential moves for ANY basketball player. They can be practiced until they become second-nature. Traveling is not a natural consequence of a pump fake.
I'm just telling you what I see and there are a lot traveling calls for head fakes. The tape shows what it shows.

Bajan Best

Decades of Excellence = Legendary
Reaction Score
With the jab step you are talking about initiating the offense and I'm referring to the shot fake/pump fake at the rim after the drive, or on a fast break with a defender in close proximity to get them to blow by or get them off their feet for an easy layup or draw an and one. @MD#FAN12 is correct.

Reaction Score
According to Geno in a relatively recent interview, the other dynamic with AAU now is that because there are more games than practices, and because the emphasis is not on the team winning an AAU championship but rather the showcasing of talent, there is a loss of versatility, especially as compared with foreign players. I also think there is a loss of fundamental team basketball and skills and you can even argue that the nonsensical perimeter offense in the men's game in college is a direct result of AAU training because it is what you have learned to play. Who, in the men's game runs a motion offense like the Knight Indiana teams? How many times this year in the men's games have we seen FT shooting less than 60% or even 50% in a game and costing that team the win? You learn how to head fake and pump fake when you practice or as was pointed out in pick up, playground or one on one games. I don't see great fundamental all around skills in abundance anymore. I see a different game. I don't think it is any coincidence that you have had recent NC teams in the men's game in Virginia, Villanova twice and probably Gonzaga this year, who is playing a completely different kind of basketball on defense and offense than their competition. Compare the style of a past NC Virginia and Villanova team or the Zags now with that of other teams this year. What is the difference? Team basketball, which should be taught and coached and practiced from early years through AAU. It is not just an archaic notion, it actually works. It's what gets played at UCONN in women's basketball and above all else, that is what is so endearing.

Reaction Score
I agree that the shot fake or up fake is a completely neglected weapon in girls HS and WCBB both before the drive or at the finish. I would estimate that at least 80% or more defenders will lunge or leave their feet on the fake and you’re either by them or have them hung in the air drawing a foul. And the UConn defenders all do it as much as anyone. You’re right, the fake itself and the discipline to avoid falling for it just aren’t being coached much anymore.
Our HS defense was one of the most disciplined around. Every time one of us left our feet for a fake, Coach yelled One! A manager kept track of each kid's total. 22 laps around the floor was just about a mile and we had to run our totals after practice. We learned really fast.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
With the jab step you are talking about initiating the offense and I'm referring to the shot fake/pump fake at the rim after the drive, or on a fast break with a defender in close proximity to get them to blow by or get them off their feet for an easy layup or draw an and one. @MD#FAN12 is correct.
Yeah, I'm talking about on the wing or a the top of the key usually by one of the guards versus the play around the rim where the player is just going to go straight up.

Reaction Score
Yeah, I'm talking about on the wing or a the top of the key usually by one of the guards versus the play around the rim where the player is just going to go straight up.
I understand now.
Of course the pump fake is a part of face up moves. (triple-threat) I would argue that it is less important for a UConn player. UConn stresses ball movement, cutting, and screening. I would bet that if a wing or point is so closely guarded as to need a pump fake to create space or get the defender in the air, maybe they should not have the ball to begin with. You see our players keeping their dribbles alive and backing up with the ball to create some space. Old days, we did not back up. Like an army fighting for territory. We were also taught to always try to catch the ball in a position you could shoot it from without dribbling. A successful defensive possession sometimes was forcing the offensive player to catch the ball outside of their shooting range. Yes, we all grew up with jab steps, drives from both sides, and pump fake shots, or pump fake drives if the defender does not back off.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom