Did Herbst get played? Sure seems like she | The Boneyard

Did Herbst get played? Sure seems like she

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
thought we were close to an invite via her discussions with the ACC. The Globe article has me thinking we weren't close at all. Flipper may have just made a fool out of Swofford too.

Reaction Score
Until this all plays out no one can answer your question with any certainty. Could take years. Maybe even decades or centuries.

Our great grandkids will still be debating this question on the new

www.ashesyard.com.

Reaction Score
my biggest fear in all of this is that uconn was pulled in close in order to keep the attorney's at bay, to keep uconn from working to fortify a strong BE - and perhaps most cynical of all, to further embarrass uconn. i think this is a long-shot, but still credible.

Reaction Score
Until this all plays out no one can answer your question with any certainty. Could take years. Maybe even decades or centuries.

Our great grandkids will still be debating this question on the new

www.ashesyard.com.
I couldn't help clicking on that link to see if it was an actual site. :)

Reaction Score
my biggest fear in all of this is that uconn was pulled in close in order to keep the attorney's at bay, to keep uconn from working to fortify a strong BE - and perhaps most cynical of all, to further embarrass uconn. i think this is a long-shot, but still credible.

Exactly. I guess to rephrase, is she still getting played? "You are next up, just be patient.....and keep very quiet".

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

Why is it a long-shot? Is there any evidence that says your position is wrong?

UConn and Rutgers screwing around has cost the league enough. Now it is time to move on.

Reaction Score
Why is it a long-shot? Is there any evidence that says your position is wrong?

UConn and Rutgers screwing around has cost the league enough. Now it is time to move on.

if this were a fraud, then i think the following must true:
  • it would have to be an elaborately planned fraud
  • it would require the ACC school presidents to perpetuate
  • it would be a fraud immediately exposed once the ACC went to 16 teams w/out taking uconn
I think the large, public academic community is a fairly small eco-system - and uconn collaborates with a number of acc public universities in scholastic and research endeavors. Herbst even graduated from and taught at ACC private schools. I find it hard to believe that the leadership of unc, uva, duke and GT - not to mention friends and former colleagues - would be complicit in such a devious act. In short I think it is a long-shot because it is a fraud that is too personal (Herbst); and one too easily discovered, even if it is after the fact.

Reaction Score
BC alone can't stop a UConn invite. They can vote no but there would have to be other schools doing it as well and really there are no other schools with any regional interest to do so. I also don't buy the grudge thing. If UConn will add value and location that the ACC wants it will happen. There may be a whole dog and pony show surrounding it so everyone can save face and look good for the fans and doners but it will work out if the ACC wants it to. If they don't well lets get ready for Air Force

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
if this were a fraud, then i think the following must true:
  • it would have to be an elaborately planned fraud
  • it would require the ACC school presidents to perpetuate
  • it would be a fraud immediately exposed once the ACC went to 16 teams w/out taking uconn
I think the large, public academic community is a fairly small eco-system - and uconn collaborates with a number of acc public universities in scholastic and research endeavors. Herbst even graduated from and taught at ACC private schools. I find it hard to believe that the leadership of unc, uva, duke and GT - not to mention friends and former colleagues - would be complicit in such a devious act. In short I think it is a long-shot because it is a fraud that is too personal (Herbst); and one too easily discovered, even if it is after the fact.

They are bragging about how they played UConn in the Boston Globe. Defillippo can't control himself. He is giddy about it. When the other side is mocking you in the press, they are well past worrying about getting found out.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
BC alone can't stop a UConn invite. They can vote no but there would have to be other schools doing it as well and really there are no other schools with any regional interest to do so. I also don't buy the grudge thing. If UConn will add value and location that the ACC wants it will happen. There may be a whole dog and pony show surrounding it so everyone can save face and look good for the fans and doners but it will work out if the ACC wants it to. If they don't well lets get ready for Air Force

They already did.

Reaction Score
Herbst lobbying Leahy immediately tells you that she knew BC blocked Uconn. everything she has done since it was learned that Cuse and Pitt were leaving suggests she knows more about what really happened than anyone in the media.

Reaction Score
Nelson and others can't seem to wrap their heads around the fact that President Herbst, having spoken to the stakeholders in the ACC, possesses nonpublic information that has so far both informed her decision- making and provided a framework for going forward.

The hubris shown by some is absolutely staggering.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Nelson and others can't seem to wrap their heads around the fact that President Herbst, having spoken to the stakeholders in the ACC, possesses nonpublic information that has so far both informed her decision- making and provided a framework for going forward.

Indeed.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

LOL. They are laughing about us in the papers. I am not sure what non-public information she has that might overcome public mockery.

Reaction Score
GDF still shot himself and the ACC in the feet. What an incompetent administrator.

Reaction Score
LOL. They are laughing about us in the papers. I am not sure what non-public information she has that might overcome public mockery.

TBH, it's not like anyone from BC's athletic department should be considered real credible given their multiple public fiascos with their athletic department. This is just a call for attention when the Red Sox are down and out, the Celtics are not probably going to play, and the Bruins season just started (with a loss in their opening banner night).

The time is ripe for BC to start making up to get in the papers seeing that for once, they may actually get some attention in Boston.

Reaction Score
TBH, it's not like anyone from BC's athletic department should be considered real credible given their multiple public fiascos with their athletic department. This is just a call for attention when the Red Sox are down and out, the Celtics are not probably going to play, and the Bruins season just started (with a loss in their opening banner night).

The time is ripe for BC to start making up to get in the papers seeing that for once, they may actually get some attention in Boston.
The only attention theyre getting in the boston papers is that their football team is 1-5.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
The only attention theyre getting in the boston papers is that their football team is 1-5.

And their game recaps may be found in a 3 paragraph blurb on page H17 somewhere behind high school girls' volleyball results.

Reaction Score

I know they are laughingstocks, but they are laughingstocks who actually have a seat on the ACC expansion committee.

Say what you will, but I bet we're not the only ones that read those comments.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
I know they are laughingstocks, but they are laughingstocks who actually have a seat on the ACC expansion committee.

Say what you will, but I bet we're not the only ones that read those comments.

I still can't believe he is stupid enough to actually say that to a reporter. He sure is some kind of smug, arrogant, and stupid SOB.

Maybe they when BC hires his replacement, they can hire Hathaway...that way they can keep the UConn hatred going!;)

Reaction Score
Get played? This was not a public invitation for tenders. The lobbying she did after SU and Pitt were just a matter of looking out for the future interests of UConn. No one 'strung her along'.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score

correct

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score

LOL

we're laughing too, just for some different reasons

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member