Did Breanna Lewis Become A 1st-Round WNBA Pick Yesterday? | The Boneyard

Did Breanna Lewis Become A 1st-Round WNBA Pick Yesterday?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Good big players who are 6-5 and play like it are always in short supply, and KSU's center Breanna Lewis seems to fall in that category. She did very well (as well as Turner with less of a supporting cast) against reasonably good opposition yesterday. She also did it in front of a national TV audience and (I'm sure) a lot of WNBA head coaches and assistant coaches who check out every UConn game for unnoticed talent.

Which suggests another incentive for college coaches with quality players and teams to play UConn, even if they might lose by double digits. It provides a showcase for their players who have WNBA aspirations. For WNBA coaches and GM's, it provides a good measure of a player's potential to see how she performed against UConn, as opposed to whatever big numbers she may have put up against lesser opposition. UConn is a known measuring stick, and when someone like Lewis shows that she can play effectively against UConn, they will sit up and take notice.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Good big players who are 6-5 and play like it are always in short supply, and KSU's center Breanna Lewis seems to fall in that category. She did very well (as well as Turner with less of a supporting cast) against reasonably good opposition yesterday. She also did it in front of a national TV audience and (I'm sure) a lot of WNBA head coaches and assistant coaches who check out every UConn game for unnoticed talent.

Which suggests another incentive for college coaches with quality players and teams to play UConn, even if they might lose by double digits. It provides a showcase for their players who have WNBA aspirations. For WNBA coaches and GM's, it provides a good measure of a player's potential to see how she performed against UConn, as opposed to whatever big numbers she may have put up against lesser opposition. UConn is a known measuring stick, and when someone like Lewis shows that she can play effectively against UConn, they will sit up and take notice.
Lewis certainly played as well as any Big UConn has faced so far this year. The WNBA has to like what they see.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Lewis would need to have a few more quality games to move into the first round of the WNBA draft. The Mock draft that I have seen have Coates (SC) & Jones (MD) as the potential first rounds big. Evelyn Akhator( KY) is having a solid season. Mercedes Russell WAS also having a good season up until yesterday where she mostly got handled by Lang (TX). Lang @ 6'5" is also a good WNBA prospect.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

A first round pick?, it depends on who comes out with her (other BIGS), and the needs of various teams. I agree with Coco, while this game put her on the radar, she needs to have performances like this on a regular basis. One game does not earmark your potential. Anyone can have a career game (and not have another game like that again), or have the worst game of their career. Consistency is the name of the game. That being said, If WNBA teams did not know of her before Sunday, they do now.

A BIG that can walk and chew gum at the same time is always of interest to WNBA teams. She's a senior, she's coming out at the end of the season. She would be a welcomed addition on several team's roster. San Antonio could definitely use her. Moriah Jefferson and Kayla McBride would no doubt pick her up at he airport if she were to be picked up by the Stars. :cool:

Reaction Score
I really think she came across as a legit C/PF type that most teams can always find a spot for! She ran the floor well and had some good offensive and defensive moves around the basket!

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
A first round pick?, it depends on who comes out with her (other BIGS), and the needs of various teams. I agree with Coco, while this game put her on the radar, she needs to have performances like this on a regular basis. One game does not earmark your potential. Anyone can have a career game (and not have another game like that again), or have the worst game of their career. Consistency is the name of the game. That being said, If WNBA teams did not know of her before Sunday, they do now.

A BIG that can walk and chew gum at the same time is always of interest to WNBA teams. She's a senior, she's coming out at the end of the season. She would be a welcomed addition on several team's roster. San Antonio could definitely use her. Moriah Jefferson and Kayla McBride would no doubt pick her up at he airport if she were to be picked up by the Stars. :cool:
Who knows what attracts a scout. Tate George became a first round pick based on one play pretty much. Never was worthy of it.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Lewis has been on the WNBA radar for a year or more. She is a returning 1st team All Big 12 player. I do not think she was that highly regarded coming out of high school so kudos to the current and previous KSU staffs.

Kansas State may not have been on national TV much last year, but I can guarantee that anyone involved in WNBA scouting had Breanna Lewis well on their radar by the end of last season. She averaged 16.8 points, 7.7 rebounds, and 2.5 blocks per game, and she was one of only 10 players selected to the all-Big 12 first team. Yesterday's performance only confirmed what any of them surely knew.

Kansas State’s Breanna Lewis makes All-Big 12 women’s basketball team

(Interesting that her stat line from yesterday—18 points, 7 rebounds, 4 blocks—was very close to her averages from last year.)

Last edited:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Who knows what attracts a scout. Tate George became a first round pick based on one play pretty much. Never was worthy of it.

Yes Cohenzone, but we're talking about TODAY, not 26 years ago. We're also talking about women, not men. We're talking about GM's that were probably in junior high or high school then, that probably do not have that same "potential player draft/acquisition" mindset as those GM's back then. This is a new day. Piggybacking on Plebe's comment, her play yesterday as consistent with what she's been doing this year and last. She was ALL-Big 10 last year. That right there is her "bona fides". She had a very productive today Sunday. She's a tall starting post player on a major program's roster. I'm sure she's on the radar of most WNBA teams.

I'll bet head coach Bill Laimbeer (NY Liberty) would take her in a heart beat if he could. As I said, lots of teams in the W are looking for, and covet a quality BIG that can impact BOTH ends of the floor. I don't know if Lewis is capable of doing this at the next level consistently or not, but I'll bet there are several teams (San Antonio) that would love to give her the opportunity to try. There just aren't enough "quality" 6'5" post players to go around. Remember, The Stars lost their starting center Jane Appel to retirement. They are desperately looking for a replacement. :cool:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Need I say it..

I told you so.

K-State fell behind because they tried to get the ball in to her and couldn't and no one else on the team could step it up.

Yeah, I'd like to see her go to...

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I certainly think yesterday's game has upped her profile - I suspect all the GMs were watching or will watch the game, and when you compare her perfomance against a pretty creative Uconn defense to those of Baylor bigs and Turner, and FSU, and TX she showed as well as anyone has this year. I suspect more evaluators will watch the Baylor and TX match-ups in the Big12 conference with specific attention to her than might have before yesterday. Does she go in the first round ... some depends on who comes out early like Russell and DD and where they fall in the draft if they enter. I would guess end of the first to first five of the second - if she is still there for Seattle and they didn't select a big in the first she will definitely be gone by then, but SA picking earlier in the round would also likely swoop.

Reaction Score
She'd do well in SA with Mariah to get her the ball. Kayla will keep defenses honest.

She is pretty much unstoppable with that sweet hook shot.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
We'll have to see how she plays out the rest of the year but she took a big step in that direction.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
For me, Coates would be the best big coming out of college. I like her game. She is mobile and productive. She can be unstoppable when she wants too. She gets double teamed a lot and defers to Wilson. She would be my 1st pick for the post followed by Russell (assuming she comes out early which I believe she would) or Brionna Jones. Kelsey Lang has come on as of late and if she keeps it going I could see her stock rising.

I really wish Maryland would schedule teams like South Carolina, ND, Texas , or even Tennessee to see how Jones would do against like competition. Instead she is going to need an insulin pen for all the cupcakes Frese is feeding her. Tough competition can be telling!

HGN

Reaction Score
She was already a stud , now more people know about her.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
For me, Coates would be the best big coming out of college. I like her game. She is mobile and productive. She can be unstoppable when she wants too. She gets double teamed a lot and defers to Wilson. She would be my 1st pick for the post followed by Russell (assuming she comes out early which I believe she would) or Brionna Jones. Kelsey Lang has come on as of late and if she keeps it going I could see her stock rising.
You may be right that Coates is the first big selected in the draft but IMO she has no demonstrated any skill that would translate to WNBA. She is a career 61% FG shooter exclusively on layups within a couple feet of the basket. Considering that she is the tallest player on the court most times, 61% is good but not outstanding. Coates does not have a jump shot or a jump hook & has no post secondary move to speak of. Her left hand is extremely WEAK. She struggles with lateral quickness more than 5 feet away from the basket making her practically useless in a helping with perimeter defense. Despite playing increasing minutes (668, 760, 937) her shot block totals have steadily declined since her freshmen year from a high of (73, 53, 45). You don't want the ball in her hands if what comes next is anything resembling a pass because she is more likely to turn the ball over than she is to set up a teammate. Career Assist=83: Career Turnovers=170. There have been way too many SEC games over the past two years where Coates has failed to show or has made a minimal contribution. See Georgia, Mississippi State, TA&M......

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I think Alaina Coates knows (and if she doesn't, Dawn will remind her) that her WNBA draft value will be defined by her games against highly ranked opponents for the rest of the year, most importantly the UConn game. In two games against UConn thus far, she has been a liability. It would not surprise me if the same thing happens this year.

If UConn uses 5-out offensive sets, who will she guard who will not drive right past her? If Gabby fronts her when South Carolina is on offense, will she be able to grab a pass? If Natalie Butler posts her up, will she be able to stop Natalie from scoring?

If I were a WNBA GM or coach (perish the thought!), I would rather have Kelsey Lang or Breanna Lewis than Alaina Coates. It will be interesting to see if those who actually hold those positions agree. My prediction is that she will go late in the first round or early in the second round, and she may have trouble making the roster of the team that drafts her.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom