OT: - Did anyone go to uconn in the early 70's? (I am on a mission to find a lost bar) | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: Did anyone go to uconn in the early 70's? (I am on a mission to find a lost bar)

Reaction Score
My father remembers the shaboo. He also talks about "the airport lounge" in willimantic. Can't find anything about that place either.
Referred to as "A's". Very popular. No bar behind Kathy John's. Believe me I would know.

Reaction Score
There was also a Chuck's Steak House in Willington?
Bar downstairs, dining upstairs.

Reaction Score
Shaboo: saw Todd Rundgren, Emmylou Harris, Bonnie Raitt, David Crosby, etc etc. Right up front at those big spool tables. Coolest place. Good times, crazy times, drunk times. I am reminded of it when visiting The Iron Horse in Noho.

Reaction Score
I want to say Shaboo used bathtubs as communal urinals. Saw many of the above mentioned acts. Last one I attended was a New Years Eve with NRBQ.

Reaction Score
Aztec Two Step, Lou Reed, James Cotton, Jonathan Edwards, James Montgomery, NRBQ, Elvin Bushop, Charlie Daniels - I lived at that place. Always made sure I was near an exit though - just knew it was a fire trap.
Bonnie Raitt

Reaction Score
Referred to as "A's". Very popular. No bar behind Kathy John's. Believe me I would know.
Damn. Any ideas as to what this barn bar is? I feel like some people remember it on here but some say it never existed. @Husky1972 said they remember a barn bar in woods behind Kathy John's. I'm not trying to call anyone's bluff as I have no clue about any of these places. Hoping someone just jumps on here saying "yes. My uncle owned that place..." or something like that. Ha

Reaction Score
Did anyone happen to play on the '68 freshman baseball team and remember the coach getting hit in the head with the ball? Or remember the 'doom squad'?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I think that’s the restaurant that later became Husky Blues among other names. It was a dance club by the time I graduated in 83 and has been empty for years.
I think you are right. The place is across 195 from Kathy John's, that's sorta behind. And it was indeed called Husky Blues and Rosal's at one time during the run. I forget what it was called when I was there when the Whale lost Game 7 to Patrick Roy. One of the worst nights in my life.

Reaction Score
I think you are right. The place is across 195 from Kathy John's, that's sorta behind. And it was indeed called Husky Blues and Rosal's at one time during the run. I forget what it was called when I was there when the Whale lost Game 7 to Patrick Roy. One of the worst nights in my life.
Ah, so there were two husky blues locations? I went to Uconn from 97-01 and the husky blues (which closed in 00 I think) was definitely across from EO Smith and right next to store 24 and a place called cup o sun.

Reaction Score
I also seem to remember a place called Dundees that was right around there

Reaction Score
I once slapped 5 with James Cotton @ Shaboo. Still cherish the moment
Hearing about this place with some of my favorite acts - crosby, cotton, Rundgren, nrbq, emmylou,- makes me feel robbed that my 4yr uconn experience consisted of a few great concerts at Jorgensen, but not much else.

Reaction Score
Thumpers in the 80s. It was just known as Rosals in 70s. They built the wedding hall mid 70s, which would later become Thumpers. After Thumpers they changed the name and went western and had line dancing. Line dancers were older crowd and didn’t consume alcohol. Went out of business .

Reaction Score
Thumpers in the 80s. It was just known as Rosals in 70s. They built the wedding hall mid 70s, which would later become Thumpers. After Thumpers they changed the name and went western and had line dancing. Line dancers were older crowd and didn’t consume alcohol. Went out of business .
I remember the line dancing. Also remembered thinking "why???". I guess most others did as well. Called two steps I think. I doubt this was the place my father is remembering as his "barn bar" didn't last past the early 70s, according to memory

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Yvonne F....n Cournoyer. Worked with his cousin here in VT for a while. She said he was the biggest ever. Been to lots of great sporting events in my life but game 6 of that Montreal series was one of the best. Didn't sit down the entire game.

Reaction Score
OK should have not used that expletive i guess about Cournoyer. Let's just say people that knew him did not think very highly of him.

Reaction Score
Damn. Any ideas as to what this barn bar is? I feel like some people remember it on here but some say it never existed. @Husky1972 said they remember a barn bar in woods behind Kathy John's. I'm not trying to call anyone's bluff as I have no clue about any of these places. Hoping someone just jumps on here saying "yes. My uncle owned that place..." or something like that. Ha
When I say "in the woods behind Kathy John's" I don't mean it was off the parking lot or something, only that KJ's was the nearest landmark, so in near vicinity in the wilds behind, but you had to go up RT. 320 and then take the first right. My wife is sitting here and recalls the exact same location (she always remembers better than me on how to got to places). We were married in '71 (yup, 50 years), so it would have been in 1971-72, as we left for for grad school in Maine 73-74, returned and it wasn't a thing anymore. I had another year of school, and that's when we and other grad students started going to Jury's in Willington. Then we migrated to Willington Pizza after it opened and continued going there forever.

"Some say it never existed", it's pretty hard to prove a negative.

Reaction Score
Saw Arlo Guthrie @ Shaboo in 1980, and Janis Ian not long afterwards. Livngston Taylor a couple times. Saw Clarence Clemons @ Husky Blues (yes, it was across from E.O. Smith, below The Disc).

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Copied this from their website:
With a storied history as an actual working dairy farm and barn in the early to mid 20th century, then in 1974 the barn was converted into a restaurant called Chuck's Steak House.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom