Did anyone else see this in yesterday's paper? | The Boneyard

Did anyone else see this in yesterday's paper?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Unfortunately this has been a problem since the Rent was opened. We have several posts here of people's cars being damaged and things being stolen too. They need to increase patrols during the games, and should increase patrols during pre game, especially where students congregate.

I also don't think this is unique to our stadium.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately this has been a problem since the Rent was opened. We have several posts here of people's cars being damaged and things being stolen too. They need to increase patrols during the games, and should increase patrols during pre game, especially where students congregate.

I also don't think this is unique to our stadium.

This is, no doubt, a problem anywhere when students and unmonitored drinking collide.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
It's not limited to UConn - but did they overly edit the letter? Blame him for what?

Reaction Score
The way I read it is someone drunkingly staggered into him, he turned around to say something to the kid and got knocked out by his friend. I mean i've seen plenty of stupid stuff in the tailgate lots but not unprovoked violence- especially to a 60 year old. If true it's terrible but I also find it odd that could occur so close to the stadium in handicap parking without ANYONE seeing the incident or helping him.

HuskiesFan1014

Mora excited than before.
Reaction Score
Been this way, and worse, since 2003
As disgusting as this is, this is NOT the norm. I've been at just about every game since the Rent opened, whether working emergency services or as a season ticket holder. Add alcohol to idiots, and eventually there is a hiccup. Drunken students staggering? Sure, they're always there. But blatant violence is not the norm.
Any of us here would have jumped to this guy's aid in a second, without a doubt.
I doubt you can find a college football gameday tailgate without a few jackass incidents anywhere, even at the "dry" schools where the party happens elsewhere.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
So this is what our student section does during games?

As the program wins again (or becomes competitive again), the casual fans will return. There are some casual fans who will never be inside the stadium at kickoff or for the post-game band salute. Some of those fans are at the games for one thing: to have a blackout drunk good time. Unfortunately, a lot of these fans can't handle their liquor and/or are too immature to go unsupervised with a belly full of liquor. More supervision is needed.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
The kids probably blamed the man for running into them.

The Blue Lots are monitored. Cops and parking attendants are constantly around...I sometimes question their usefulness, but they are there.

On the other hand, the blue lots are by and large where the more seasoned tailgaters park. Maybe they would be better served on the other side of the stadium.

Reaction Score
"young tailgaters"
"young people"
"drunken youths"
"young man"

Geez... no where did I read it was a student.

Dooley

Reaction Score
"young tailgaters"
"young people"
"drunken youths"
"young man"

I was joking.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
"young tailgaters"

I would say the chances are better than 50/50 it was...but sometime I don't read the odds right!

I haven't met any young drunks at the stadium that said "Nah, I aint I student. I just didn't want to sit at home drinking alone while all my friends are at the game."

Please read disclaimer -

**Now - before I get 'hammered" (no pun intended) it could very well NOT have been a student or anyone with any connection to a UConn student. I am not accusing a UConn student, past present, or future of committing this act. The story could be not true**

Reaction Score
I haven't met any young drunks at the stadium that said "Nah, I aint I student. I just didn't want to sit at home drinking alone while all my friends are at the game."
My only point is some folks immediately jumped to the conclusion that they were students - could just as likely have been a bunch of guys who work together and went to a football game or even an alumni.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
My only point is some folks immediately jumped to the conclusion that they were students - could just as likely have been a bunch of guys who work together and went to a football game or even an alumni.

Absolutely agree -

you know where my $$ is though.

Reaction Score
Pathetic. I'm all for having fun at the tailgate and rarely go into the stadium without a little buzz going, however I'm ultimately there to watch the game. I'm in my seat by kickoff, pay attetion to the game, and thoroughly enjoy myself everytime. This violence and vandalism stuff is ridiculous and 100% unnecessary.

Dooley

Reaction Score
Just so that I don't upset anyone, my joke about the student sections had more to do with their weekly vanishing act during games than anything else. Different debate for a different thread...my bad for choosing this one to crack it.

Reaction Score
I'd love to get a hold of this guy and invite him a responsible and fun tailgate where he can see the enjoyable side of UConn Football and tailgating.

Ugly incident and hopefully the last we hear of its kind this year

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
I'd love to get a hold of this guy and invite him a responsible and fun tailgate where he can see the enjoyable side of UConn Football and tailgating.

Post an invitation in the comments.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score

I could be reading into it, but the letter doesn't give a lot of detail. It sounds like the man had no interest in the game or any associated events (other than the National Anthem). He was just there to show his patriotism to in waving the super flag. The letter seems to indicate that the man left the stadium right after his duty was complete.

mikedog10

Tailgating Enthusiast
Reaction Score
I could be reading into it, but the letter doesn't give a lot of detail. It sounds like the man had no interest in the game or any associated events (other than the National Anthem). He was just there to show his patriotism to in waving the super flag. The letter seems to indicate that the man left the stadium right after his duty was complete.
I agree with that; the obnoxious drunk students should have been weeded out by the end of the game. The jerks he encountered were on their way into the stadium after kickoff and probably didn't make it through the first quarter.

Reaction Score
Almost happened to a guy last year when he pulled into a spot and s next to him tried to back in without looking. 4 in their 20s, drunk windows down, music blaring and out of control. One punk hops out and started approaching his window screaming I'm gonna knock you out old f (meanwhile totally their fault). I see what is about to go down and come around other side and get up in the kid's face and they backed down once they realized its was not going be a free punch and I was a good size larger (glad not a huge dude). Don't understand the total lack of respect young kids have for older people. Ruined the day for a gentleman just there to have some fun, and one less fan that will come back. Made me really angry and bothered me the whole game.

mikedog10

Tailgating Enthusiast
Reaction Score
This all seems pretty rampant. I think the problem is that 17-21 year olds are the least responsible drinkers. Unfortunately there's no way to avoid this at college football games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom