Dick Weiss of NY Daily News wants to scrap going west and pick ECU,Temple,Memphis | The Boneyard

Dick Weiss of NY Daily News wants to scrap going west and pick ECU,Temple,Memphis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Big East commissioner John Marinatto needs to find a solution to teams like Syracuse, Pittsburgh jumping ship

Football league down to five committed members
NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

Originally Published: Wednesday, November 23 2011, 11:36 PM
Updated: Thursday, November 24 2011, 12:21 AM

There are too many moving pieces here. Maybe it is time for the Big East to scrap Western expansion all together and simply add three teams from the Eastern and Central time zones - Temple, East Carolina and Memphis - as full members and try to be the best it can be. Temple and Memphis would definitely upgrade basketball. East Carolina has a following in football that would be attractive to bowls if the Pirates have a good season, and they have the potential to be competitive as long as Terry Holland is the AD. They all want in.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/c...cuse-pittsburgh-jumping-ship-article-1.982197

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Come on, don't ruin our appetites today.

Reaction Score
What's odd is that the pro-Marinatto, pro-basketball first journalists, Dick Weiss of the Daily News, Len Robbins of the Post, and to some extent Mark Blaudschun of the Globe and Kevin McNamara of the Providence Journal all went quiet at the same time.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
I think he's somewhat right.

Plan A) Get the UCF, SMU and Houston thing done.

Then work on Plans B and Plans C and prepare to fall back on plan D

Plan B) Boise and/or SDSU and/or Nevada .

Plan C) The service academies and a Conference game are proposed

Plan D) Memphis and Philly (likely Temple) start looking good again as 9/10 or 11/12.

Reaction Score
I think he's somewhat right.

Plan A) Get the UCF, SMU and Houston thing done.

Then work on Plans B and Plans C and prepare to fall back on plan D

Plan B) Boise and/or SDSU and/or Nevada .

Plan C) The service academies and a Conference game are proposed

Plan D) Memphis and Philly (likely Temple) start looking good again as 9/10 or 11/12.

I agree with this approach. I honestly think if it get's to plan D either as 9/10 or 11/12 that Memphis and ECU would be a better choice than Temple though. We do need some football teams with fan support and Temple isn't going to bring that.

Reaction Score
The first, second and third criteria for adding teams to the BE is which teams would add the most value as far as whatever tv package the BE is able to get down the road. The BE either needs to discuss possible additions with the various networks or hire a consultant who can tell them who adds value and then try to get those teams to join.

Like with everything the BE seems to be completely disorganized and is running around asking everyone for a date as opposed to ranking the teams that are available and starting at the top and working down the list.

Reaction Score
I have no faith in salvaging what is left of this conference. So if we're going to convince some poor suckers to get on this sinking ship then I hope that they are on the East Coast so that games are within reasonable traveling distance

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
why not just be so dam cool:), i mean The Big Least Asc.

big south:
gulf-usf/ucf/fau/fiu/gast/uab/troy/midten/smiss/mem
river-tulane/uh/rice/lal/lam/tulsa/latech/nt/arst/smu

big east:
atlantic-uconn/ruty/temple/army/navy/del/ecu/app/rich/umass
lake-cincy/lville/marshall/ballst/ohio/westmich/cen mich/niu/buff/toledo

big west:
pacific-sdsu/fresno/hawaii/eastwash/calpoly/snaj/bosie/idaho/nev/unlv
mountain-byu//wy/utahst/nmexst/colost/mont/utep/nmex/ndst

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics