Dick Vitale's 5 greatest coaches... | The Boneyard

Dick Vitale's 5 greatest coaches...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I do not agree, but here is Dick Vitale's 5 greatest coaches. Twittered a few days ago. Don't know his criteria, but if number of championships won (9), the record in championship games (9-0), the caliber (and character) of players and superstars produced (DT, SB, MM, et al.), impact the program had on the game- then I unquestionable place Geno #1 on that list. (I think Vitale's closeness to the men's game influenced his selection of coach K).

Vitale's List:
1. Coach K
2. Greg Popovich
3. Bill Beli-Cheat
4. Geno Auriemma
5. Nick Saban

HR's List:
1. Geno Auriemma
2-5 ... everyone elseG

Reaction Score
As per the Geno Show.....I believe Geno's top coaches are Popovich, Belichick and Mike Tomlin.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
In all honesty, most of the top basketball coaches are coaching men, because it's a higher profile job and more financially lucrative. How could Geno do coaching a men's team? Probably pretty well, but I don't know how well it would translate. I wonder how well a top female coach could recruit in MBB? I hope we find out someday.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
In all honesty, most of the top basketball coaches are coaching men, because it's a higher profile job and more financially lucrative. How could Geno do coaching a men's team? Probably pretty well, but I don't know how well it would translate. I wonder how well a top female coach could recruit in MBB? I hope we find out someday.
Some of those men's basketball coaches have called Geno among the very best. Tom Izzo being one.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

Geno has been recruited for men's BB a number of times and declined for several reasons. My favorite - men don't listen. Another reason... most men's coaches are, his word, "pukes."

Reaction Score
I do not agree, but here is Dick Vitale's 5 greatest coaches. Twittered a few days ago. Don't know his criteria, but if number of championships won (9), the record in championship games (9-0), the caliber (and character) of players and superstars produced (DT, SB, MM, et al.), impact the program had on the game- then I unquestionable place Geno #1 on that list. (I think Vitale's closeness to the men's game influenced his selection of coach K).

Vitale's List:
1. Coach K
2. Greg Popovich
3. Bill Beli-Cheat
4. Geno Auriemma
5. Nick Saban

HR's List:
1. Geno Auriemma
2-5 ... everyone elseG

No way BB is ahead of Geno. No way. He hasn't won another title since he cheated. SO he gets credit for winning the division vs teams like teh Jets and Buffalo? Please gime a break.

He may win now - his team might be so fired up after this incident but regardless he used spygate to win a lot - to put him ahead of Geno is absurd.

Reaction Score
Geno has been recruited for men's BB a number of times and declined for several reasons. My favorite - men don't listen. Another reason... most men's coaches are, his word, "pukes."
I wonder how Geno's "team first" method would go over in the men's game with today's one-and-done brats. He might be able to adapt, but I bet the frustration would take years off his life.

Reaction Score
I wonder how Geno's "team first" method would go over in the men's game with today's one-and-done brats. He might be able to adapt, but I bet the frustration would take years off his life.
Agree completely. His approach to the game stressing 'team' and selflessness wouldn't translate. Just listen to the the most recent Geno Show to hear it from him. Geno, like CD, were smart enough to carve out the perfect place to master their approach and bcome successful. In and of itself that pretty amazing, as are we to be the recipients of the product they've produced.

Reaction Score
Agree completely. His approach to the game stressing 'team' and selflessness wouldn't translate. Just listen to the the most recent Geno Show to hear it from him. Geno, like CD, were smart enough to carve out the perfect place to master their approach and bcome successful. In and of itself that pretty amazing, as are we to be the recipients of the product they've produced.
I think Popovich is successful with that approach. And, like Geno, he gets players who are receptive to that mentality. (And, like Geno, he appreciates wine and has his own wine label.)

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Geno coached the Nike Elite boys AAU teams for a number of years. He took them to Nationals with D1 recruit Damien Saunders and, believe it or not, Aaron Hernandez.

Reaction Score
Geno coached the Nike Elite boys AAU teams for a number of years. He took them to Nationals with D1 recruit Damien Saunders and, believe it or not, Aaron Hernandez.
Yikes!

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

"Antonio don't work no lay up line!" Geno's head implodes.

Reaction Score
Roy Williams from UNC told a story about seeing one of UConn's games and stealing a Geno play for his team.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
... like practice, man .... practice .... I mean practice .... prac .... it's only practice ....

Allen Iverson has always been good for a laugh or two! Any championships...nyet.

Reaction Score
No way BB is ahead of Geno. No way. He hasn't won another title since he cheated. SO he gets credit for winning the division vs teams like teh Jets and Buffalo? Please gime a break.

He may win now - his team might be so fired up after this incident but regardless he used spygate to win a lot - to put him ahead of Geno is absurd.
When I hear people like yourself condemn Bellechik and presume his only success was because of his "cheating" (which countless other coaches and teams have done) even though he's been the most successful coach in the NFL SINCE that stupid overrated Spygate, WOW! The GREAT John Wooden, who is revered by all or at least most, had a booster that he knew about buying him players for the major part of his success at UCLA. Wooden may or may not have encouraged it but he isn't a stupid man and had to know that his players were getting cars, money, etc.!!!!!! Geno holds both Bellechik and Wooden in the highest esteem but only the HATERS like yourself would continually imply that without "cheating" Bellechik would not be successful. The reality is whether his PEERS love or hate him, they would assuredly put him on their top ten coaches of all time list. The facct that you don't says wonders about the type of person you are.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't call vitale objective exactly he loves all things duke..... including coach k

coach k is good no doubt but remember his game in 99 vs us..... i thought coach calhoun out coached him in that game.... and remember the final 4 in 2004...... sheldon williams and okafor both got 2 early fouls..... coach c sat okafor while coach k kept playing williams..... who fouled out early.....

Reaction Score
When I hear people like yourself condemn Bellechik and presume his only success was because of his "cheating" (which countless other coaches and teams have done) even though he's been the most successful coach in the NFL SINCE that stupid overrated Spygate, WOW! The GREAT John Wooden, who is revered by all or at least most, had a booster that he knew about buying him players for the major part of his success at UCLA. Wooden may or may not have encouraged it but he isn't a stupid man and had to know that his players were getting cars, money, etc.!!!!!! Geno holds both Bellechik and Wooden in the highest esteem but only the HATERS like yourself would continually imply that without "cheating" Bellechik would not be successful. The reality is whether his PEERS love or hate him, they would assuredly put him on their top ten coaches of all time list. The facct that you don't says wonders about the type of person you are.

Your definition of "condemn" is not mine. What you call "overrate" I call cheating. In John Wooden's time imo other teams paid too. Just because Geno holds BB in high esteem doesn't mean he should be considered higher than Geno. I didn't imply BB wasn't a great coach just not greater than Geno. No way no how is he greater and shouldn't be considered near him.

What this says is the type of person you are. You need to take the post personal all because you don't like what I say - all because you assume I didn't think he was great.

Reaction Score
A friend of mine's father was a HS BB coach in Indiana, and knows Coach Knight well (since Knight made it his business to know all the HS coaches in the state). Knight told him Wooden was definitely dirty on recruiting, not that others weren't as well (my friend believes Knight himself was squeaky clean - ??)

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
A friend of mine's father was a HS BB coach in Indiana, and knows Coach Knight well (since Knight made it his business to know all the HS coaches in the state). Knight told him Wooden was definitely dirty on recruiting, not that others weren't as well (my friend believes Knight himself was squeaky clean - ??)

Knight may have been squeaky clean in recruiting, but he sure had a temper. He was also an outstanding basketball coach.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom