Dick Vitale is cancer free | The Boneyard

Dick Vitale is cancer free

Reaction Score
Whether you like him or hate him, this is good news.

Legendary college basketball broadcaster Dick Vitale received an early present. On Thursday, Vitale revealed that he is cancer-free after receiving the all-clear from his doctors.

Vitale had been battling vocal cord cancer over the past five months.

"Santa Claus came early for me & my family," Vitale posted on X. "Just was on the phone with Dr. Rick Brown (my oncologist), Dr. Ken Meredith (bloodwork). They gave me super news that the PET SCAN was clean (NO CANCER) & my bloodwork was all very good. TO many of you I send [love] & THANK YOU for ur [prayers]!"

YearoftheHusky

Name checks out.
Reaction Score
Never really understood the hate. Yes he loves Duke, but all of ESPN does. He’s a genuinely good dude and made watching basketball better.

Reaction Score
Never really understood the hate. Yes he loves Duke, but all of ESPN does. He’s a genuinely good dude and made watching basketball better.
Watching maybe…..listening, not so much

Reaction Score
His announcing is still easier on the ears than Billy Packer’s though, God rest his soul.

Reaction Score
Meh. His energy made a 14-year-old version of me smile 28 years ago. Can’t hate him for that.
I don't hate him at all but I think I understand the arc.

When he was starting out and really rising? There was no one like him in terms of his announcing style AND his level of knowledge. He knew the X/O piece and the recruiting piece and added a ton, really revolutionizing the role.

He morphed into a cartoon. Stupid TV ads for pizza chains. Over the top reactions to anything and everything. He humped Duke and NC's leg to a point it dented his credibility. The games he did? He just waited for any play to drop a "dipsy doo dunkeroo, babeee" and it seem contrived and fake, which was a shame.

I think his arc and health struggles have come back to where people unilaterally appreciate him and are glad he's still doing it. I have a couple of his books and waited in line to have him autograph them one year in Hartford and he was great to interact with. I remember him shooting FT's before the UConn/Nova game with Allen/KIttles at Gampel. He's an icon.....but he definitely had a very cringey, un-credible period of time in the middle there.

Reaction Score
I don't hate him at all but I think I understand the arc.

When he was starting out and really rising? There was no one like him in terms of his announcing style AND his level of knowledge. He knew the X/O piece and the recruiting piece and added a ton, really revolutionizing the role.

He morphed into a cartoon. Stupid TV ads for pizza chains. Over the top reactions to anything and everything. He humped Duke and NC's leg to a point it dented his credibility. The games he did? He just waited for any play to drop a "dipsy doo dunkeroo, babeee" and it seem contrived and fake, which was a shame.

I think his arc and health struggles have come back to where people unilaterally appreciate him and are glad he's still doing it. I have a couple of his books and waited in line to have him autograph them one year in Hartford and he was great to interact with. I remember him shooting FT's before the UConn/Nova game with Allen/KIttles at Gampel. He's an icon.....but he definitely had a very cringey, un-credible period of time in the middle there.
In my opinion he never recovered from the “cartoon” phase. Appreciate everything he did for cancer research but as far as college basketball, he added nothing over the last 20 years other than being a Duke and Kentucky shill.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
Whether you like him or hate him, this is good news.

Legendary college basketball broadcaster Dick Vitale received an early present. On Thursday, Vitale revealed that he is cancer-free after receiving the all-clear from his doctors.

Vitale had been battling vocal cord cancer over the past five months.

"Santa Claus came early for me & my family," Vitale posted on X. "Just was on the phone with Dr. Rick Brown (my oncologist), Dr. Ken Meredith (bloodwork). They gave me super news that the PET SCAN was clean (NO CANCER) & my bloodwork was all very good. TO many of you I send [love] & THANK YOU for ur [prayers]!"

I’ve never hated Dickie V. He can be annoying, but how could anyone hate him? He’s a class act.

Reaction Score
In my opinion he never recovered from the “cartoon” phase. Appreciate everything he did for cancer research but as far as college basketball, he added nothing over the last 20 years other than being a Duke and Kentucky shill.
Wouldn't argue if you felt that way.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom