Dialect survey map | The Boneyard

Dialect survey map

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Here's a fun site to waste some time on. A statistics PhD student mapped the results of a survey on regional dialects covering different pronunciations (i.e. do you pronounce the word aunt as rhyming with ant, or taunt) and terminology (soda vs. pop vs. coke, question 105)). One gripe I have - for question 64, the only choices are sub hoagie, hero or other - needed to include grinder for New England and Po' Boy for Louisiana (I'm guessing that's why that area is leaning towards "other"). I bet if "grinder" were a choice in the survey it would get more responses. Question 54 - in addition to you, you guys, y'all, they could add yinz (Pittsburgh), youse / youse guys (Brooklyn)... Couple other observations, I guess I never realized people outside of CT say NEW Haven in stead of New HAVen (Question 46). And maybe I'll pick up on the southern habit of using consecutive modals in a sentence. I might could do that.

Reaction Score
He got the biggest one wrong. In southern dialects, y'all refers to the singular and "all y'all" refers to groups of two or more.

~*Jen*~

Mommy to the Mini Mojo Keeper
Reaction Score
I love it. I stumbled upon it years ago when I was studying linguistics. It's where I learned about the term "whipping shitties." :oops:

The link in the OP isn't working, though, so I'm just assuming it's the same survey.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro
Top Bottom