Diaco Weekly Press Conference (Army) Tidbits | The Boneyard

Diaco Weekly Press Conference (Army) Tidbits

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
MattSchonvisky 12:01pm via Twitter Web Client
"Great to get started during game week following a win" Diaco

UConnFootball 12:02pm via TweetDeck
HCBD: Any time you play any of the service academies, you are in for an incredible challenge. @YankeesEvents #RiseUp

UConnFootball 12:05pm via TweetDeck
HCBD: @Army_Football averages over 400 yards of offense. They have talented runners in a system that is a nightmare to defend. #RiseUp

EdDaigneault 12:05pm via TweetDeck
Diaco calls Army's option offense an "utter nightmare" to defend.

wspaxton 12:07pm via Twitter Web Client
Diaco said #UConn needs to hang on to football, keep Army offense off the field

peatonrobb 12:09pm via TweetDeck
Diaco says he has a lot of memories of Yankee Stadium, his family shared 4 season tickets. #UConn

peatonrobb 12:10pm via TweetDeck
Diaco excited for the exposure that playing Army at Yankee Stadium will bring the program. #UConn

peatonrobb 12:11pm via TweetDeck
Diaco says #UConn fans already have a tradition of going to NYC to watch Husky basketball, which should translate to football.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
EdDaigneault 12:11pm via TweetDeck
Diaco says use of Deshon Foxx is more by feel than scripted.

desmondconner 12:11pm via Twitter Web Client
Diaco: Fox, at QB, can go in an execute any play at any time #UConn

peatonrobb 12:12pm via TweetDeck
Diaco says Foxx has deep understanding of Husky offense, whcih allows him to play both receiver and QB. Can throw the ball too. #UConn

UConnFootball 12:13pm via TweetDeck
HCBD: Deshon Foxx has a deep understanding of the offense and has a pretty deep menu of pass plays. #RiseUp

desmondconner 12:13pm via Twitter Web Client
Diaco said Foxx throws ball well on move so boot, sprint passing, misdirection will al be in play as well as the drop back #UConm

Reaction Score
To those that say redshirting isn't a big deal, raise your hands if you think playing Foxx in 2011 was worth it.

Reaction Score
NHRJimFuller 12:14pm via TweetDeck
#UConn's Bob Diaco: "Time for real leadership from fourth-year players."

desmondconner 12:14pm via Twitter Web Client
Diaco: to the young guys "lets see who you are let's see some of your personality. You can weigh in, give passion." #UConn

UConnFootball 12:15pm via TweetDeck
HCBD: I was impressed with our young cornerbacks on Saturday, especially because of the wet field conditions. #RiseUp

JoeDSports 12:15pm via Twitter for iPhone
@UConnFootball HCBD thought young cornerbacks played really well in tough conditions

NHRJimFuller 12:17pm via TweetDeck
#UConn's Bob Diaco said he is going to use Junior Joseph and Jefferson Ashiru are "toolbox" players at ILB and both will be used

Reaction Score
NHRJimFuller 12:18pm via TweetDeck
#UConn's Bob Diaco said it is "almost impossible" to run offense in practice like Army does

MattSchonvisky 12:19pm via Twitter Web Client
"Bryant is look team QB practicing for Army. They've been on another field getting ready for this to go against our 1 D"

Tim_Fontenault 12:20pm via TweetDeck
Diaco had the grad assistants hand-pick a look team weeks ago to resemble Army offense. Bryant Shirreffs, transfer from NC State, is QB.

UConnFootball 12:20pm via TweetDeck
HCBD: A real key to playing @Army_Football is not getting frustrated. You are always just one play away from getting them behind the chains

Tim_Fontenault 12:22pm via TweetDeck
UConn plays Army and Navy next year. Diaco says he doesn't think they're back-to-back but wishes they were. "Disruptive" to schedule...

MattSchonvisky 12:22pm via Twitter Web Client
"Disruption of preparation playing Army/Navy, then play conventional defense next wk. We play both next week. Had success & victimized @ ND"

EdDaigneault 12:23pm via TweetDeck
Diaco says playing the Army offense if physically painful, especially on the "lower extremities."

Reaction Score
NHRJimFuller 12:25pm via TweetDeck
Geremy Davis has been cleared to practice for #UConn

desmondconner 12:27pm via Twitter Web Client
Diaco "for majority of players there is a direct correlation between academic achievement and production on the field" #UConn

MattSchonvisky 12:27pm via Twitter Web Client
"I've never said there weren't enough players to have a good team, we just weren't a good team, we are getting there and better every day"

Tim_Fontenault 12:27pm via TweetDeck
"We've got enough players to have a good team. We're just not a good team. We're getting there and getting better every day."

UConnFootball 12:28pm via TweetDeck
HCBD: We need to work on this team and culture. We have enough players to have a good team and we are getting better every day. #RiseUp

MattSchonvisky 12:28pm via Twitter Web Client
"Arkeel, Ron, Noel, Thomas Lucas, Bradley, Lemelle, Meyers, Bloom, 1st/2nd yr players that impact games right now, think 2.5 yrs"

desmondconner 12:28pm via Twitter Web Client
Diaco "I never said or insinuated we never had enough talent or players to have a good team, have to work on culture, do things that win"

Reaction Score
JoeDSports 12:30pm via Twitter for iPhone
@UConnFootball HCBD have game balls to offensive staff @DeshonFoxx @AndrewAdams22

NHRJimFuller 12:31pm via TweetDeck
#UConn's Bob Diaco said early stop on 4th and 1 v. UCF was how he wants team to play

UConnFootball 12:31pm via TweetDeck
HCBD: I expect the @Army_Football defense to play a 3-4. A very attacking 3-4 rather than sitting in a gap 3-4.

NHRJimFuller 12:32pm via TweetDeck
#UConn;s Bob Diaco: "Not going to out tough the United States Army."

JoeDSports 12:32pm via Twitter for iPhone
@UConnFootball HCBD. told team the other day " We are not going to out tough the U S Army

Reaction Score
Tim_Fontenault 12:35pm via TweetDeck
Diaco on recruits asking about cold weather: "If you're even asking...you're not the right guy for UConn...not the right guy for Notre Dame"

peatonrobb 12:35pm via TweetDeck
Diaco: Any recruit who would ask about the weather in the Northeast is not the right kind of player for #UConn.

NHRJimFuller 12:35pm via TweetDeck
#UConn's Bob Diaco said if recruits show concern about cold weather he moves on from that kid

It's a wrap:

desmondconner 12:38pm via TweetDeck
#UConnFootball presser with Bob Diaco has ended...very entertaining...

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
I know he says Foxx can throw for strategic reasons, but I really believe that is true. Against UCF there were are few times where, to my drunk/cold eye, Foxx looked like he wanted to air one out just to put it on tape.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
MattSchonvisky 12:27pm via Twitter Web Client
"I've never said there weren't enough players to have a good team, we just weren't a good team, we are getting there and better every day"

Tim_Fontenault 12:27pm via TweetDeck
"We've got enough players to have a good team. We're just not a good team. We're getting there and getting better every day."

UConnFootball 12:28pm via TweetDeck
HCBD: We need to work on this team and culture. We have enough players to have a good team and we are getting better every day. #RiseUp

That is refreshing to hear - that SHOULD shutup the cupboard bare, but it wont!

desmondconner 12:27pm via Twitter Web Client
Diaco "for majority of players there is a direct correlation between academic achievement and production on the field" #UConn
Interesting about the direct correlation between academic achievement and production on the field - makes one wonder those who are not producing are also not producing in classroom? I would think that will lead to more attrition this offseason - not speculating on transfers!!!

Reaction Score
To those that say redshirting isn't a big deal, raise your hands if you think playing Foxx in 2011 was worth it.

Given the 2013 results, we should have retrospectively redshirted the entire team. Gotta love hindsight.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Let's not make like this is 1948. We can and have out tougher Army in the past. It helps that they are a lot smaller.

Reaction Score
I believe we should always sit kids regardless of talent and need for 1 year - that's how all P5 programs operate. And i believe we should always wonder "what if" 3 years after the fact - its a very productive exercise.

Reaction Score
I believe we should always sit kids regardless of talent and need for 1 year - that's how all P5 programs operate. And i believe we should always wonder "what if" 3 years after the fact - its a very productive exercise.

My point was more to the discussion last week about McAllister.

My apologies for taking the time to read this board and talk about UConn football.

Reaction Score
Given the 2013 results, we should have retrospectively redshirted the entire team. Gotta love hindsight.

I'm using the Foxx example to highlight the discussion we had last week about McAllister, which was not hindsight but happening real time.

Reaction Score

We had a team that had the talent to make a bowl game. We failed, but I have no problem having played him.

I never thought he should have been moved to WR, though.

Reaction Score
We disagree on the RS thing, I get that. But you did ask for a show of hands, so you can't effectively respond or critique when folks do just that. Well, it is the BY, so yes you can.

I still have no idea what you want the staff to do as to McAllister or Hadley- both burned their RS on Sat. I ass/u/me you'd opt to play the kids who run out to kick a fg on a tv timeout and have them cover Perriman (and us lose the game). I say, next man up and worry about 2018 later. THEY CAN RS NEXT YEAR OR THE YEAR AFTER OR ....

Diaco was crystal clear that he was not going to be burning RS before the ECU game. He also assumed Byron might be able to finish the year. You can tell he's dying to get Oak in a game and see what he has, but he has not.

Reaction Score
We disagree on the RS thing, I get that. But you did ask for a show of hands, so you can't effectively respond or critique when folks do just that. Well, it is the BY, so yes you can.

I still have no idea what you want the staff to do as to McAllister or Hadley- both burned their RS on Sat. I ass/u/me you'd opt to play the kids who run out to kick a fg on a tv timeout and have them cover Perriman (and us lose the game). I say, next man up and worry about 2018 later. THEY CAN RS NEXT YEAR OR THE YEAR AFTER OR ....

Diaco was crystal clear that he was not going to be burning RS before the ECU game. He also assumed Byron might be able to finish the year. You can tell he's dying to get Oak in a game and see what he has, but he has not.

You replied with snark. So you got it back.

Excalibur figured out a way to respond in a way that made sense. I don't agree with it because I don't think Foxx played enough to have made a material difference in 2011, but his response was reasonable and not filled with assumptions about my position that aren't based in reality.

Reaction Score

Exactly this. If a true frosh is really helping you win as a true frosh -- Jerome Junior or Terry Caulley - great. But for every one of those there are ten who play without making a real difference as true freshmen who would have been monsters given a fifth year. Like Trevardo Williams or Foxx or the boatload of true frosh who have played the last two years without compelling reason.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
I'm using the Foxx example to highlight the discussion we had last week about McAllister, which was not hindsight but happening real time.

Diaco's job to to make a championship team. He can figure this out for himself, it's not black and white. He has his method/process.

If we win championships in a few of years, not one will care about burnt red shirts. If we are still losing, Diaco won't be here

Reaction Score
Exactly this. If a true frosh is really helping you win as a true frosh -- Jerome Junior or Terry Caulley - great. But for every one of those there are ten who play without making a real difference as true freshmen who would have been monsters given a fifth year. Like Trevardo Williams or Foxx or the boatload of true frosh who have played the last two years without compelling reason.

The choice of 1st year vs. 5th year is a false one. There are two more years that should enter into the equation.

Reaction Score
You know, it's a funny thing, that I guess I'm different than a lot of peoples around here, when it comes to this redshirting nonsense. In all my years of being around this game of football in one way or another, in every game I've ever been involved, watched, re-watched......

I have never seen a play, that didn't have any impact on helping the outcome of a game towards a win (or a loss) . Somebody will have to point this out to me, someday - what a play that doesn't matter, or doesn't have any affect looks like, especially a play where all 11 of those guys on the field, any single one of them, doesn't have some role to contribute to winning. I wonder what that looks like.

Redshirting is product of a deep depth chart, not the starting point.

McAllister helped this team to it's first conference win of the season, as did Hadley. Foxx helped the team win 2011. If one thinks that a scholarship recruit, has greater value on the bench, than a walkon practice squad player in contributing to a win - then it's a mostly free country, one is entitled to an opinion, but it doesn't make the opinion correct, or fact, and the subject matter really has to do with quality of incoming player recruiting, rather than the value of a 5th year of playing time.

Reaction Score
The choice of 1st year vs. 5th year is a false one. There are two more years that should enter into the equation.

Theoretically, you are 100 % correct. But practically, barring injury, it never is done except for QBs. Once a player is contributing, it's very hard to sit him for a year. Other than Kamal Abrams, I can't think of anyone. And I don't think he was redshirted as much as he got beaten out by a host of players for snaps.

Reaction Score

Right - but if you are really building a program, which clearly we haven't been since the day Edsall walked out the door, these things are a wash. You RS someone to hold on to him for later, and they don't develop or get hurt or transfer, and you play someone early and they don't get to see their 5th year. Very easy to cherrypick individual decisions and extrapolate them into big deals. The only way this is a bad thing is if we don't think that Diaco can recruit guys as good as McAllister etc going forward. And if he can't? None of this really matters anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom